How does SWTOR work on new iMac?

My pc finally died and I'm thinking of replacing it with a new iMac: I know all about Bootcamp and I have a buddy who's a software guy and will take care of the partition for me. Otherwise though, does the game run well? I imagine it looks fabulous on a big 27" screen but I'm looking for input on the gameplay and performance

cheers amigos

My pc finally died and I'm thinking of replacing it with a new iMac: I know all about Bootcamp and I have a buddy who's a software guy and will take care of the partition for me. Otherwise though, does the game run well? I imagine it looks fabulous on a big 27" screen but I'm looking for input on the gameplay and performance

cheers amigos

Got a guildie who runs this on an iMac and hates it. She often goes to her bf's house to play since he has two PC's.

A Mac can run games but you have to jump through so many loopholes to do so. And with the exception of a very few number of titles a PC is just going to always run it better. Mac's are great computers but in my opinion they just aren't cut out for hardcore gaming.

Often you will see arguments on the net about this etc with a Mac vs a PC. However nine times out of ten it's a comparison of a 2400 dollar Mac vs an 1100 dollar PC. Put 2400 dollars into a PC and the thing will blow a Mac out of the water for gaming every time.

The cheapest iMac out right now is 1,700.00 (for the 27"). If your wanting a new computer for gaming and willing to spend 1,700 on it you will get a lot more bang for your buck out of a PC then you will with the base model iMac for sure.

Edited by AutoCocker

Ignore the usual trolling. SWTOR runs fine on a Windows BootCamp partition on recent iMacs. Keep the graphics on a lower setting (the game looks great on all but the ultra-lowest anyway). As yet, I've seen no reliable solution for Parallels or the other virtual PC packages under OS X.

Hello, long-time iMac user here.

(Please feel free to toss your pitchforks and molotov cocktails into a barrel at the door, just there.)

Anyhow, my husband has a PC and I have a 2009 iMac. Fairly comparable machines. His is slightly better than mine in a few ways.

We both play TOR, and in general, mine runs games better than his. I have all the knobs and dials cranked up to max, except for shadows, because they bog my rig down. He doesn't run shadows, either.

I say go for it. I've run Bootcamp on my Apple machines since I started owning them and I haven't regretted anything. I can run most games, even demanding ones, at fairy high (often max) settings, with the added bonus of really HIGH resolution. Pretty good framerate. I suggest upgrading your RAM.

Always baffles me when people snicker about iMacs and gaming. Even the Mac Mini can run modern games. I don't suggest you get a Mac Mini, if you're a gamer, but you COULD in theory play the games just fine on one.

Why would you want to own a Mac if you're a gamer?

Well, one, you might be a graphic designer and Macs tend to be the machine du choix of that industry. You might just like the nifty interface, the clean profile and quiet of the body. Maybe you're just rich and crazy. Who cares? It runs Windows beautifully and cleanly.

You don't even have to muck with updating your drivers. ATI fixed that (yay!), so it happens like normal.

Anyhow, I never understood why people hiss and spit over Mac. There's nothing wrong with Mac.

For awhile there, I considered getting a custom PC and screen at a comparable resolution and size to my current set up. The cost? About $1500. That also means sacrificing my trackpad and wireless keyboard.

I thought, "For a little more, I basically get two machines."

Anyway, don't let the detractors get to you. If you can afford it, buy whatever you want, regardless of what I or they or anyone else says.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this reply. I too am a longtime Mac user. and regularly play PC games via BootCamp. I currently have one of the older MacPro towers (~2008-9) and it is reaching its end of life (cannot upgrade beyond Lion). I run SWTOR via Bootcamp (Windows-7 64-bit) andI was thinking of going to an iMac with the 27" screen. Are you running with Windows 8? Curious how well it works.

(Please feel free to toss your pitchforks and molotov cocktails into a barrel at the door, just there.)

Anyhow, my husband has a PC and I have a 2009 iMac. Fairly comparable machines. His is slightly better than mine in a few ways.

We both play TOR, and in general, mine runs games better than his. I have all the knobs and dials cranked up to max, except for shadows, because they bog my rig down. He doesn't run shadows, either.

I say go for it. I've run Bootcamp on my Apple machines since I started owning them and I haven't regretted anything. I can run most games, even demanding ones, at fairy high (often max) settings, with the added bonus of really HIGH resolution. Pretty good framerate. I suggest upgrading your RAM.

Always baffles me when people snicker about iMacs and gaming. Even the Mac Mini can run modern games. I don't suggest you get a Mac Mini, if you're a gamer, but you COULD in theory play the games just fine on one.

Well, one, you might be a graphic designer and Macs tend to be the machine du choix of that industry. You might just like the nifty interface, the clean profile and quiet of the body. Maybe you're just rich and crazy. Who cares? It runs Windows beautifully and cleanly.

You don't even have to muck with updating your drivers. ATI fixed that (yay!), so it happens like normal.

Anyhow, I never understood why people hiss and spit over Mac. There's nothing wrong with Mac.

For awhile there, I considered getting a custom PC and screen at a comparable resolution and size to my current set up. The cost? About $1500. That also means sacrificing my trackpad and wireless keyboard.

Anyway, don't let the detractors get to you. If you can afford it, buy whatever you want, regardless of what I or they or anyone else says.

My wife has the 4 gig of ram, 27 inch i5 imac from last year (2012), she played the game for awhile using boot camp and window 7, and it ran fine using a 50 gig partition. I did install some fan control software so she could turn up the fans, but other than that it worked perfectly.

I am thinking of getting a mac for my next computer too, she loves her Mac, and I love the fact that I never have to worry about drivers, etc.

Thanks for this reply. I too am a longtime Mac user. and regularly play PC games via BootCamp. I currently have one of the older MacPro towers (~2008-9) and it is reaching its end of life (cannot upgrade beyond Lion). I run SWTOR via Bootcamp (Windows-7 64-bit) andI was thinking of going to an iMac with the 27" screen. Are you running with Windows 8? Curious how well it works.

WOW. JUST WOW. I can maybe overlook the fact that you want to game on an Apple product, but you want to willingly put Windows 8 on it? You're... I could get banned for going further. Just wow. :eek:

This is a little confusing for me, since the base model 27" iMac is $1700 (according to Apple's official website) and comes with a 675MX (a mobile video card with lackluster reviews) and an underclocked (3.2Mhz) i-5. I can't imagine spending more than $800 on a tower and getting lower specs than that.

cheers amigos

Just buy a computer. SWTOR works fine on one.