[Guide] 1.3 Gearing/Keybindings and My Spec Conclusions (so far)

Xinika

Shinarika's 1.3 Gear/Keybinding Guide.

Here lies the gear updates for the Shadow / Assassin in 1.3. An important note that I want to add to this, is creativity. The beautiful part about ToR is the ability is to mix/match gear parts. Although there's cookie cutters regardless, the important part is the numbers.

0:05-2:09 : Gear Setup and Commentary

2:11-2:22 : Keybindings

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.3 Spec Analysis

Infil and Balance

I've been running pretty much every pure spec and 23/1/17. I have not had the chance to try 13/28 in rateds because I haven't had the time. Due to the way how damage output has been shifted, I have changed the allocation of balance in my stats. No adrenals means no insta-kills, but it's not entirely horrible. So I've switched up for more consistency. I even changed my spec in favour of sustained over burst.

While this combination is *smooth* and I pump out good numbers. (Last week I got a 6700 project) I find that the spec simply feels underpowered. It can be so much more. Survivability isn't the issue because in ranked, I'm not even targeted as much. Fighting past guards and taunts is an absolute nightmare. It's outrageous how pathetic my damage suddenly becomes.

Taunts are ALWAYS up in this environment. Taking out a healer in the midst of a group can be painful. However, there are other things you should be doing. Finding the lone ranger who's unguarded and not on focus healing would be a great option. Or just locking out a healer so the rest of your group can pick off whatever target they are focusing on. Your role plays more as a disruptor than direct damage. I can also hold off a node solo, but only by delaying and calling for help. Occasional 1v1 comes my way and for just about any other DPS spec, infil can handle them alone.

For the most comps, Balance is seemingly a better option. You can REALLY be a damn pest with Balance in ranked. FiB, Insta-FL and Sever Force are all exceptional tools. While the damage isn't bad, it certainly isn't that great either. This isn't a killing spec at all by any means. It's more of a supportive / nuisance type of spec. While stealth might be a leg up against it's sage counterpart, I'm not exactly convinced Balance is better or even on the same ground as our other consular AC's Balance. Balance certainly does have it's moments though, and it can really help you out once your team is ahead.

I've still come down to the painful observation that both of our DPS specs could use a buff. The potential is there... but there are just a few things missing to make us fearsome on the battlefield. Anytime I see another Assassin/Shadow, I'm not really bothered by them. You can almost ignore them because they're not too much of a problem. We just need a little boost to get onto that level. The sight is there, but there's a few things that need to be dealt with. Our damage is... meh.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit the watchmen forums here to chat some more on Shadows / Assassins without the forum pollution or come contact me directly.

Edited by Xinika

Nice Guide again, well done!

Only suggestion I'd have is that you could have mentioned where you mapped your movment too, if it is WAD or WR (it might have been in the guide, I'm tired and naturally don't have a great attention span, so if it's in there, forget what I just said! :p)

I know this question seems out of place, but since you talked about gearing in this video, I wanted to ask you about your opinion about crit chance and the good old Kinetic spec.

Lately, I have been thinking if I shouldn't be going for a bit more crit as a pure Kinetic. The sustained damage I get with all power is nice and nothing to sneeze at, but sometimes I wish that my unbuffed Projects and ST would crit a bit more often. And seeing that it is able to get at 25% crit with still maintaining a power level over 1k really, almost makes me to give it a try, but I'm naturally lazy, short of credits and having a mild form of OCD doesn't help either (ohh, ya the excuses! :p)..

Also, you seem to be going for Willpower around 1600 buffed with a stim. Is that more advisable than going for 1600 Willpower without a stim? Is DR really not worth it to go for 1600 unbuffed?

Thanks!

Edited by Okema

Nice Guide again, well done!

Only suggestion I'd have is that you could have mentioned where you mapped your movment too, if it is WAD or WR (it might have been in the guide, I'm tired and naturally don't have a great attention span, so if it's in there, forget what I just said! :p)

Paired with usage of my mouse, I use Q,W,E,A,D and even S when needed for movement. I have a very unorthodox playstyle. It works though, no one can escape my sight and I can move around the map like a snake :p.

I know this question seems out of place, but since you talked about gearing in this video, I wanted to ask you about your opinion about crit chance and the good old Kinetic spec.

Lately, I have been thinking if I shouldn't be going for a bit more crit as a pure Kinetic. The sustained damage I get with all power is nice and nothing to sneeze at, but sometimes I wish that my unbuffed Projects and ST would crit a bit more often. And seeing that it is able to get at 25% crit with still maintaining a power level over 1k really, almost makes me to give it a try, but I'm naturally lazy, short of credits and having a mild form of OCD doesn't help either (ohh, ya the excuses! :p).

I'm really liking 25% crit for all DPS specs. You get the occasional crit and you still have a massive heap of power. Try it out.

Also, you seem to be going for Willpower around 1600 buffed with a stim. Is that more advisable than going for 1600 Willpower without a stim? Is DR really not worth it to go for 1600 unbuffed?

Thanks!

That is with a stim. Buffed I have around 1650~

Edited by Xinika

I have stuck with the 23/1/17 spec with very little change to my survivability. The tools that I can bring to rated and regular WZ is remarkable. I just dont see a reason for high DPS when all of the WZ are objective based. I understand that DPS is very important but weight that against a clutch insta lift.

As we all know to many of the players focus on DPS rather then keeping their eye on the ball. Great guide and your keybindings are the same as mine... Stop stalking me!

Bônes

(Nos)

Shin'arika-

I have played with you every once in a while in the odd match with my 50 Shadow. I think last night even we were in a Civil War together. (Vudurlo) And I've picked your brain about some Shadowy stuff... which has been great.

I say this because I want you to know it is sincere, but I can't get behind a Shadow DPS buff. Could the trees use some tweaking? Heck yes. Big time, especially Infiltration which originally attracted me to the class, but sadly I rarely plan to play until I am fully geared.

The main reason I can't get behind a DPS increase is we have an intangible bonus that you can't put a number on: Utility.

The ability to do 'good' damage, stealth, pull a healer away from his team, debuff our opponents, mez from stealth, etc, etc. is simply amazing stuff for anything from solo queuing, right up to RWZs.

At times I do feel my damage is lethargic, but I remind myself I only have 2 pieces of Warhero, and 3 augmented pieces.... Then I'll single handedly disrupt a control point in Civil war, and I realize, DPS is THE wrong reason to choose a Shadow.

I'd suggest if someone wants to go the DPS route, and is willing to sac some utility, then try a Marauder/Sentinel, or a Powertech/Vanguard.

Personally I find those classes a bit boring, but I see the attraction of pure DPS. But me? The Utility is fantastic and always useful. It's also tough to put a metric on it.

Also as far as DPS boosts go, I have to be honest, whenever I've questioned it, I've been in a match with you and you do a TON of damage... even if you don't have your healer with you. I've often thought to myself, that the DPS I do feel I'm missing is obviously attainable through practice and gearing, and you are proof of this.

I think this is a very hard sell for you, but good luck. Heck I'd take the DPS boost if you can sell it to BW, but I think you're going to have trouble convincing them.

Our damage is fine, I've been playing the 0/24/17 spec this past week and I can put up similar numbers to my slightly less geared marauder. The problem is HOW deception/infiltration does damage. Anyone who even kinda pays attention to to this game knows that it's 2 x spinning animation and then unload. This is easy to avoid much like Rage/Focus smash bombs. What that tree needs is more survivability, less predictably DPS, and a legitimate Z-axis gap closer. Anyone who tells you they enjoy playing a Shadow on Huttball without Force Pull is lying to you and themselves. There is nothing fun about playing snake as you go up and down the ramps while everyone and their brother has a knock back you have to avoid like Bruce Lee.

I have had huge success with my 24/17 hybrid lately. Huge amount of on demand burst and utility for the group. Only thing i miss is force pull.

I am full WH mod swapped as well. When I say we could use a slight buff to dps or other things in our dps trees my guildies laugh at me saying no way. I average 450k on any match with a big fight. Get 16 medals hold objectives well and just decimate healers.

My opinion is similar to what others say. Make it more flexible not this 2x DS/CS then boom style rotations for infiltration.

I will not argue that 23/1/17 is our "best" overall spec. The problem is only 1 ranked team needs one of these. If you have 2 shadows the other has to go dps or you can risk using a full KC tank. DPS has been my role most of the time. Thats why I have been in search of an on demand dps class with still some group utility. I believe the 24/17 is the next best thing for now until some re working of our trees occurs.

I will not argue that 23/1/17 is our "best" overall spec. The problem is only 1 ranked team needs one of these. If you have 2 shadows the other has to go dps or you can risk using a full KC tank.

I agree with your post except for this portion here. We run 2 23/1/17 Shadows and do very well. The coordinated CC is unreal: Spinning Kick, Stun, Pull, Lift, Sap, Knockback

All are can be done with 1 shadow combine that with another shadow and you have just controlled the battlefield.

IMHO 2 is awesome.

Bônes

Edited by Rmog

The main reason I can't get behind a DPS increase is we have an intangible bonus that you can't put a number on: Utility.

The ability to do 'good' damage, stealth, pull a healer away from his team, debuff our opponents, mez from stealth, etc, etc. is simply amazing stuff for anything from solo queuing, right up to RWZs.

Seems like you are confusing the tank specs with the dps specs? She was talking about the dps specs being underpowered - they can't pull or debuff folks.

For tank I do

~ = project

1 = slow time

2 = force breach

3 = whirling blow

4 = telekinetic throw

I try to ~, 1, 2, 3, ~, 4 for easy harnessed shadows and maximizing group damage.

Then I have all buffs, adrenals to the F keys so I can slide for instant buff.

For huttball I second bind deflection, resiliance, and force speed to left, down, and right. This is an easy slide for crossing firepits.

I like backspace for force pull as well. Seems to process well in my head.

Edited by Order-Sixty-Six

For tank I do

~ = project

1 = slow time

2 = force breach

3 = whirling blow

4 = telekinetic throw

I try to ~, 1, 2, 3, ~, 4 for easy harnessed shadows and maximizing group damage.

Then I have all buffs, adrenals to the F keys so I can slide for instant buff.

For huttball I second bind deflection, resiliance, and force speed to left, down, and right. This is an easy slide for crossing firepits.

I like backspace for force pull as well. Seems to process well in my head.

Backspace is an interesting button to use. I couldn't picture not jumping in this game. It helps control my mobility.

Backspace is an interesting button to use. I couldn't picture not jumping in this game. It helps control my mobility.

Well from what I understand it slows you down. The only times I find myself using it is in maps like alderaan to line of sight people around the edges of the platform, jumping up to attack them. Or in huttball to try to get into view for a pull a ballcarrier from the endzone to the pit (actually hasn't been working much for me lately unless they're really close to the edge).

Other than that I try to keep my feet on the ground. Its pretty interesting that you can jump on top of someone for a quicker rotation speed to land shadows strikes though.

Edited by Order-Sixty-Six

Seems like you are confusing the tank specs with the dps specs? She was talking about the dps specs being underpowered - they can't pull or debuff folks.

Well not really.

I wasn't going to respond but I'll be honest and tell you my thinking:

Shinarika just posted a video where she 1v1's a Marauder I know. He's very geared up, and he knows and cares about his class every bit as much as Shinakira does for hers.

In two instances in that video she beats him 1v1. In one case she dots him up, and is forced to use all her cool downs, but so does he.

In the second 1v1 vs the same guy she is in full Infiltration spec this time. Again both have all their cool downs, she has to use them, so does he, the fight is close, but Shin wins.

Like I said, I know the Marauder and he's potentially one of the better ones on our server (I don't think it's a stretch to give him that at least: "He is one of the better Marauders on our server:")

So we have a very geared Marauder (which many considered a very O.P. class) who knows his class, and we have Shinarika. Two very similar players with great gear, and they know their toons inside and out. Yet Shin wins!

So what are we asking for here? What DPS is missing here?

I'm just saying considering the above situation (taken directly from her latest video), this is a pretty hard sell to Bioware. Was she supposed to beat him faster? Were the fights too close?

On the other hand if she really wanted BW to take a request for a DPS boost seriously, she should have used footage of me. :p

Honestly? I feel the only spec I do 'ok' with is K.C. And it's because I can do moderate damage and hold a node by myself for a while. Infiltration 'feels' like a weak Operative to me lacking in (front end) burst. Balance? To me balance still feels like my Madness sorc, so it feels 'awkward' to me with my Shadow.

But then I watch Shin pull it off in these videos (which I think feature -mostly- 'fair fights' or common situations) and beat some 1v1's vs guys like that and I have to believe it's just me and the class is fine.

Edited by Krozis

Well not really.

I wasn't going to respond but I'll be honest and tell you my thinking:

Shinarika just posted a video where she 1v1's a Marauder I know. He's very geared up, and he knows and cares about his class every bit as much as Shinakira does for hers.

In two instances in that video she beats him 1v1. In one case she dots him up, and is forced to use all her cool downs, but so does he.

In the second 1v1 vs the same guy she is in full Infiltration spec this time. Again both have all their cool downs, she has to use them, so does he, the fight is close, but Shin wins.

Like I said, I know the Marauder and he's potentially one of the better ones on our server (I don't think it's a stretch to give him that at least: "He is one of the better Marauders on our server:")

So we have a very geared Marauder (which many considered a very O.P. class) who knows his class, and we have Shinarika. Two very similar players with great gear, and they know their toons inside and out. Yet Shin wins!

So what are we asking for here? What DPS is missing here?

I'm just saying considering the above situation (taken directly from her latest video), this is a pretty hard sell to Bioware. Was she supposed to beat him faster? Were the fights too close?

On the other hand if she really wanted BW to take a request for a DPS boost seriously, she should have used footage of me. :p

Honestly? I feel the only spec I do 'ok' with is K.C. And it's because I can do moderate damage and hold a node by myself for a while. Infiltration 'feels' like a weak Operative to me lacking in (front end) burst. Balance? To me balance still feels like my Madness sorc, so it feels 'awkward' to me with my Shadow.

But then I watch Shin pull it off in these videos (which I think feature -mostly- 'fair fights' or common situations) and beat some 1v1's vs guys like that and I have to believe it's just me and the class is fine.

You're judging this based on 1v1s and that is severely incorrect. In example, healers cannot 1v1, yet they have a solid spot on a team. The Shadow class was built for 1v1. Unless they make some core changes (Especially to KC) then it will continue to be undisputed in that field. However, 1v1 is not the same as 8v8. In a group viability setting, we are the generalist class that has it's hands in a few fields, but really specializes in none. It is the group combat where end-game PvP is based upon and where our damage begins to become severely lackluster and our utility is overlapped by other classes that are better in such fields.

Edited by Xinika

You're judging this based on 1v1s and that is severely incorrect. In example, healers cannot 1v1, yet they have a solid spot on a team. The Shadow class was built for 1v1. Unless they make some core changes (Especially to KC) then it will continue to be undisputed in that field. However, 1v1 is not the same as 8v8. In a group viability setting, we are the generalist class that has it's hands in a few fields, but really specializes in none. It is the group combat where end-game PvP is based upon and where our damage begins to become severely lackluster and our utility is overlapped by other classes that are better in such fields.

Severely incorrect? Then you say the Shadow class was built for 1v1.

I would suggest that the Marauder you take out twice in your video would debate that. I would say he's very single target oriented, and is made for 1v1 as well.

Look I'm on your side, but I'm not sure specifically what you want. You end your post with:

I've still come down to the painful observation that both of our DPS specs could use a buff.

And:

Our damage is... meh.

Then you post videos of yourself whoopin' a very good player of a 'high dps' class. So I'm just not sure what exactly you are asking for.

As far as roles? I totally agree with you. I feel a little lost in ranked. The few I have done with my Shadow have been bad.... out of all my 50's, he's the one guy I'm wondering what the heck to do with. I may not be totally geared, but in Deception I feel rather one dimensional and I'm trying to figure out if it's a hindrance for me to take that build into a rated.

Kinetic Combat? I feel like the exact opposite of Infiltration. Rather than being decent at one thing, I'm ok at a few things.

The only reason I'm posting this is because the Shadow is my favorite Republic toon, but I feel rather lost with him in RWZs. Yet some people in the PVP forum swear by them in their (massively successful ! ) Ranked teams.

Right now I do feel like I am hurting my guild more than helping them in Ranked. I'm trying to figure out how much of it is my fault vs the class.

Edited by Krozis

Severely incorrect? Then you say the Shadow class was built for 1v1.

I would suggest that the Marauder you take out twice in your video would debate that. I would say he's very single target oriented, and is made for 1v1 as well.

They are 1v1 and group combat. Do not forget about Transendence and Inspiration. They also do more overall DPS. By parsing speaking, we are 10-30% behind with both Balance and Infiltration specs compared to a Mara. That alone right there counteract's BWs philosophy of 5% and we should be rightfully buffed. Besides the math and testing aside, the damage is definitely noticeable. 1v1s don't mean much because in ranked no one really moves alone.