Origin Servers Locked... But Not Really...

InnerPieces

So I noticed this morning BioWare "locked" all the origin servers. This was a great move on their part except that, upon testing, I can still log into a "locked" server I have no characters on and create a character. I understand letting people who already have characters on a server create more characters or use the server until the merges come. However, I just thought I would mention having a server show as "locked" and it not actually be locked is confusing. I hope that wasn't intentional. Edited by InnerPieces

Okay.. I do see this now: To continue to enhance the overall gameplay experience for current and new players, we have eliminated the option to create new characters on selected origin servers. Visit http://www.swtor.com/transfer to see a list of all the selected origin servers that will be affected.

Before you lock the thread, I though I would mention it is NOT working as intended, then. I can log into any locked server and create a character. I've done it now on 4 different servers I did not have characters on.

I just tried to log into a locked server and it wont let me. So it is working at least for me.

M

Yeah... I've tried 6 servers so far and only 1 of them was actually locked for me. I have no doubt they are working on it.

Edited by InnerPieces

Yeah... I've tried 6 servers so far and only 1 of them was actually locked for me. I have no doubt they are working on it.

My guess is that you had already created(at some point) some characters on this server. So the system allows someone who has had a presence on the server to continue making / deleting characters on it. Either way, it is probably not a good thing to be starting up toons on these servers.

However, the question I have will the people on free trials be thrown onto the super server ... err destination servers. Those are already on the verge of overload and don't need a huge influx any time soon.

it is probably not a good thing to be starting up toons on these servers.

I have characters on Dxun Battle Circle and The Red Eclipse, and the only server to transfer to from Dxun is The Red Eclipse, so chars on Dxun are stuck until they open up more servers for destination. Dxun is the server I have unlocked Legacy too, and so to progress Legacy, creating more characters on Dxun is a must.

Hopefully they will open up a 2nd server to transfer to, and then will transfer then, but if not what will happen to my toons? :eek:

My guess is that you had already created(at some point) some characters on this server. So the system allows someone who has had a presence on the server to continue making / deleting characters on it. Either way, it is probably not a good thing to be starting up toons on these servers.

However, the question I have will the people on free trials be thrown onto the super server ... err destination servers. Those are already on the verge of overload and don't need a huge influx any time soon.

Yes and no. I did end up creating many characters at launch, but I do know there are some server types (and various U.S. Regions) I tried today I never created a character on before. There were two where I had characters previously on my list, however.

I'm just testing it now. I'm not intending to play any of these characters. I just noticed when I first logged in all of the servers showed as open. I logged in to start missions and then logged out to let my son play on his server. The second time I was on the server select screen I noticed the origins were now locked. So I logged into a server with a character and tried to create one (out of curiosity) and could. So I decided to try and see if I could on a locked server with no characters and could. That's what led me to this post... sheer curiosity.

I do have similar concerns regarding your second point, but that is a different discussion entirely. ;)

I won't update this thread anymore because I don't see it as helpful, but now I know they're working on it so all will be well.

Edited by InnerPieces

Tried a bunch of servers on a Trial account just now and I can't get on any of the locked servers, I just get a message that says: "This server is locked - you may only create characters on this server if you have a character on this server already". Seems to me it's working as intended...

Edit: Not entirely true.. it seems like RP-PvP servers lets you on, no other type does though.

Edited by Lundli

I just tested it myself, and I could not log onto any server where I never had a character, but I can still log onto servers where I had at least one character (even though currently I have none on that server).

Try the RP-PvP servers :)

Try the RP-PvP servers :)

I am still able to log onto Ajunta Pall, RP-PvP West, as I had a level 43 trooper there that I recently transferred to Begeren Colony last week. I currently have no characters there, but I can log in and create a character.

Edited by VulcanLogic

Well, I am certifiable at times so I just went through the entire list. As mentioned, all of the characters I've ever had any character on can be logged into. There are many, however, I know I never logged into before that I can also log into now. The problem is, as mentioned, my son also plays on my account and I cannot say for certain which servers he might have made a character on and deleted it. I am fairly certain the list of servers that I can now log into is larger than the list of servers I have made characters on which have since been deleted. BioWare can probably check to see if this is the case since I cannot remember (or do not know) all of the servers I have toyed with since launch.

Heck I'm still trying desperately to get info on a final roll over due to I have a number of guildies currently deployed in service to their country and unable to transfer.... Not willing to abandon half our group and use the transfer system right now. I have gotten a hold of a few in the service and some nice long distance bills trying to organize a move, yet not a single response from SWTOR side.

Emails, PM's..in game support you name it not a single response :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.