Rated WZ Diversity and Participation

Shreb

I'm not sure how it is on other servers, but on Jedi Covenant, we pretty much see the same three premades running rateds over and over. They are very solid teams that focus purely on PVP... not sure why they rolled on a PVE server... but that's not important. Anyway... Our team queued up an got the same premade team three matches in a row. We lost three matches in a row. I'm not complaining about losing to a superior team. The were and deserved the win. What we are noticing is that there is not a lot of diversity and people taking advantage of the rated wzs. I'm on a team that wins some and loses some and I'm fine with that because I'm not intersted in being in a PVP only guild. I just think something needs to be done to increase participation and diversity. Too many people won't do rateds because they know it's an automatic loss for them. The bad players and the middle of the road players are all scared away leaving the pure PVP guilds owning the rateds and taking advantage of its rewards. In the beginning I saw a few pugs do rateds, but not so much anymore.

I'm not sure how to fix this. Initial thoughts were to allows queues just like normal wzs. IF you wanted to queue 8 people, then you would only fight against another 8 man premade. I know for a fact that the better players who queue for regular wzs win more often than the bad ones. Anyway... I'd like to see some changes to this because if it ends up only being the same three wz premades, no one is really going to run rateds anymore except them.

I'm not sure how it is on other servers, but on Jedi Covenant, we pretty much see the same three premades running rateds over and over. They are very solid teams that focus purely on PVP... not sure why they rolled on a PVE server... but that's not important. Anyway... Our team queued up an got the same premade team three matches in a row. We lost three matches in a row. I'm not complaining about losing to a superior team. The were and deserved the win. What we are noticing is that there is not a lot of diversity and people taking advantage of the rated wzs. I'm on a team that wins some and loses some and I'm fine with that because I'm not intersted in being in a PVP only guild. I just think something needs to be done to increase participation and diversity. Too many people won't do rateds because they know it's an automatic loss for them. The bad players and the middle of the road players are all scared away leaving the pure PVP guilds owning the rateds and taking advantage of its rewards. In the beginning I saw a few pugs do rateds, but not so much anymore.

I'm not sure how to fix this. Initial thoughts were to allows queues just like normal wzs. IF you wanted to queue 8 people, then you would only fight against another 8 man premade. I know for a fact that the better players who queue for regular wzs win more often than the bad ones. Anyway... I'd like to see some changes to this because if it ends up only being the same three wz premades, no one is really going to run rateds anymore except them.

I think it all depends on your server's PvP community. Perhaps yours isn't as well established as it is for us on the Bastion. Many guilds que for ranked WZ's and others are out looking for new people to make ranked WZ teams. I frequently see LFM for RWZ messages in gen chat.

That last sentence brings me to my next point: I think queing for RWZ's gets you a lot more than people think, that is, ranked comm's as a reward. Frankly, that's all many of the people on the Bastion care about, so they'll make an 8 man pug team and que up, and not care if they lose. All they want to do is farm comm's. I do it all the time. I couldn't give a damn about my rating because all that rating really gets you at this point is a fancy pants crystal, different coloured WH gear, and what, a speeder? Big whoop. So don't be discouraged and don't care about losing in RWZ's because you're still farming comm's no matter what the result is. This is just my personal take on the matter and some others on the Bastion share this point of view as well.

I honestly wish more were like you and wanted to farm rated comms. My main is full WH so I don't care about comms on him. My alt is working on WH gear now and definitely needs them. Even though my main is always one of the better dps'ers there, my alt is usually in higher demand because it's a healer and people want healers... especially over commando DPS... but don't get me started on commando DPS. We all know that's big time broken in terms of utility. Their DPS is respectable... could use a sligth buff comapred to other dps classes. I average around 450-550k in a wz, but have gone much higher.

I honestly wish more were like you and wanted to farm rated comms. My main is full WH so I don't care about comms on him. My alt is working on WH gear now and definitely needs them. Even though my main is always one of the better dps'ers there, my alt is usually in higher demand because it's a healer and people want healers... especially over commando DPS... but don't get me started on commando DPS. We all know that's big time broken in terms of utility. Their DPS is respectable... could use a sligth buff comapred to other dps classes. I average around 450-550k in a wz, but have gone much higher.

I find it's a good way to "spy" on other teams too. Sit back and check out their tactics, and possibly derail them later if you get on a team with your guildies ;).

I'm definitely a big supporter of the RWZ system even though I'm not gung-ho participating in it. It's a good way for the hardcore PvP guilds to compete and put bragging rights on the line. It builds the PvP community and makes for some entertaining discussions in general chat.

Rateds are an issue when there is not a pool of teams available. I can understand if your server has a pool of 3 teams and 2 are exceptional, its going to kill rated participation. Yes, you get comms faster losing rateds than winning regular warzones, but no one wants to get farmed.

We dont have that issue on the Bastion yet and our rated participation is amazing.

The thing about this problem - and it's solution - is that they are both self-fulfilling.

Few people queue -> better teams dominate -> fewer people queue

OR

A few more people queue -> you get a mediocre rating -> you play other teams with mediocre rating -> you get competitive matches, occasionally win, and get lots of ranked comms -> more people queue