Is Crafting Worth It?

Lynnx

I'm sure this has been posted many times.

I've found that when I make an all gathering toon, I make a lot of money.

I can make decent money with crafting, but not nearly as much as gathering.

Of course, crafting also takes time and money.

Does it become hugely useful or profitable by high level?

It is better (considering time involved) to just get items from drops and quests?

I have gathering on all my toons. Yet I hardly gather at all but purchase underpriced items off the GTN and re sell for the going rate. Days when I'm not at work I net 1 million credits per day and even when I just log once a day to check the mail I net around 400k per day credits

Does it become hugely useful or profitable by high level?

It is better (considering time involved) to just get items from drops and quests?

I feel like it depends on how much time you have. The best money-per-minute in the game are the dailies. Nothing beats those. If you do your dailies and still have time left, you can do crafting for money, yes.

Now which crafting... Slicing is the best way to go, if you do not want to invest money into crafting. Slicing gives lockboxes that will usually contain more credits than the mission costed. And they give a bonus in the form of Missions you can sell on GTN...

If you DO want to invest money in crafting, you can pick any crafting skill, except biochem (biochem is killed by Bioware, it's impossible to make money from that since 1.3). The rest all make some money. But you will have to invest money, because you will need to...

- buy the schematics from the vendor

- pay for missions to get the materials for your stuff.

- spend alot of materials to make useless stuff that you will vendor to an NPC to level your crafting skill.

- spend alot of materials to make useless stuff that you will re-engineer to get schematics for stuff that people will buy.

- spend around 400k to level 4 compaions to get to 10k health and 90k to get the crafting legacy (assuming your legacy level is high enough)

Worth it ? Your call. I'd say no... If you want to do other stuff than gathering, just keep with slicing, open the lockboxes and sell the missions you get on crits on the GTN.

Thanks everyone.

Last night I noticed that my level 37 Sage had gear that was badly underlevelled.

I took a while to increase synthweaving to make appropriate gear. This took a while.

After I reached the crafting level and bought my new crafting skills, I realized that I needed new mats that I didn't have.

Now I had to take a long time to gather the mats. I also bought some from the GTN which was also expensive.

Next, I realized that if I wanted blues, it would be a lot more expensive to make and DE each piece.

I looked on the GTN for gear and green gear was pretty cheap. I almost couldn't find blue gear.

Thanks everyone.

Last night I noticed that my level 37 Sage had gear that was badly underlevelled.

I took a while to increase synthweaving to make appropriate gear. This took a while.

After I reached the crafting level and bought my new crafting skills, I realized that I needed new mats that I didn't have.

Now I had to take a long time to gather the mats. I also bought some from the GTN which was also expensive.

Next, I realized that if I wanted blues, it would be a lot more expensive to make and DE each piece.

I looked on the GTN for gear and green gear was pretty cheap. I almost couldn't find blue gear.

Synth is worth it's weight in gold (no pun) in keeping leveling alts well geared. It is also worthwhile for crafting augs at all levels.

But the key is that it is very time consuming and expensive to level and then build a stock of recipies. So the first time through on my main it was a money and time drain wth marginal value. On the first alt, it was some help, but still took time and mats to get things of value. Now on my third alt, I have almost every level recipe at purple and can make all of my and my wife's gear and everything we wear is augmented. It is nice.

I have started to sell augs as a side line and am making some money although I do not try to make and market gear.

Also like any crafting skill, it is not of much use (other than augs) once you hit 50.

Roara, You've always been fantastic at making money in game. I've been doing the same thing with some of the more rare items. Guess i need to start paying more attention!

-d

where are you?

I feel like it depends on how much time you have. The best money-per-minute in the game are the dailies. Nothing beats those. If you do your dailies and still have time left, you can do crafting for money, yes.

Now which crafting... Slicing is the best way to go, if you do not want to invest money into crafting. Slicing gives lockboxes that will usually contain more credits than the mission costed. And they give a bonus in the form of Missions you can sell on GTN...

If you DO want to invest money in crafting, you can pick any crafting skill, except biochem (biochem is killed by Bioware, it's impossible to make money from that since 1.3). The rest all make some money. But you will have to invest money, because you will need to...

- buy the schematics from the vendor

- pay for missions to get the materials for your stuff.

- spend alot of materials to make useless stuff that you will vendor to an NPC to level your crafting skill.

- spend alot of materials to make useless stuff that you will re-engineer to get schematics for stuff that people will buy.

- spend around 400k to level 4 compaions to get to 10k health and 90k to get the crafting legacy (assuming your legacy level is high enough)

Worth it ? Your call. I'd say no... If you want to do other stuff than gathering, just keep with slicing, open the lockboxes and sell the missions you get on crits on the GTN.

In my experience I've found slicing to be seriously over-rated

For pure money making, maybe not so much. For being self sustained, yes. I have all the crafting skills currently in the game (with synth, armormech, armstech and cybertech at max) and i can only say that it's worth the effort.

First of all, my main and highest level has cybertech/scavenging/underworld trading. Cybertech makes armorings and mods for all classes and specs, so all my alts have their gear up to date. Scavenging fueled armormech and armstech long before my alts got off the capital city planet. Scavenging works anywhere, while questing, while hunting for datacrons, even in flashpoins. Underworld trading provided rare mats and schematics for my alts as well.

Then my first alt runs synthweaving with archaeology and also underworld trading. UWT isn't really needed, but i wanted to maximize my chances for rare schematics. Synth can make orange armor for ANY class. Heavy, medium, light, all can be made by a synthweaver. Some of it also looks really good. Synth can also get augment kit parts from RE and make augments for force users.

My second alt runs armormech with scavenging and slicing. Armormech can also make some nice orange armor, augments for non-force users and get augment kit parts. Slicing is for augment schematics and skill trade missions. The beauty of slicing is that it basically pays for itself to level, and once you get to max level you can supply your other trade skills with missions and augment mats.

Rest of the alts run armstech (barrels), artifice (color crystals, enhancements), biochem (stims, adrenals, implants) with their respective gathering/mission trade skills. Between all my chars i am self-sufficient. Anything i need, i can do myself.

Now, i'll admit, i'm not rich. Maybe i have 2 mil across all my chars. But i also got bank tabs full of mats, gear already crafted for entry level into operations, and i hardly buy anything from GTN (the odd good looking orange armor perhaps). I get crafting mats way above the level of some of my chars because slicing nets me missions. From the missions i get prototype and artifact grade mats which i further use to get the best gear for my level.

I did sink a lot of time and creds into crafting. Since 1.3 i spent around 400-500k creds to get the new orange armor schematics. But i also made a mil from being among the first to sell orange belts and bracers at decent prices. That money i funneled again into crafting by leveling the mission skills, but that also netted me with a lot of mats. Let's put it this way, grade 1 to 5 rare metals/fabrics/compounds/gems i got at least two stacks of each possible material. My companions are all 9k+ affection. All my chars have their ships equipped with the best parts for their level. More than that, all my chars look exactly how i want them too (except my 'sin, damn supreme inquisitor's robe) because i can craft almost any armor in the game. No, i don't have a lot of money, but as all my professions will be maxed, there won't be much need to run so many missions anymore and the creds from questing or whatever will pile up, because i will hardly use GTN to buy stuff.

Crafting is time consuming, frustrating sometimes (after literally hundreds of grade 1 and 2 UWT missions, still no orange bracers schematic) but well worth it for the reasons above. Self sufficiency for myself and my few friends is paramount for me, not to mention the convenience of not depending on the market.

Oh one last thing, i have zero lvl 50 chars.

Hope this helps.

Synth is worth it's weight in gold (no pun) in keeping leveling alts well geared. It is also worthwhile for crafting augs at all levels.

I get the augs part but is synth really a benefit for gear? I mean, assuming you don't level up by pvp'ing or doing space missions you get orange gear thrown at you, every other mission offers you a mod, and 2 or 3 per planet offer you armoring, and by the end of a planet you have enough commendations to buy whatever you want for yourself and maybe a companion or 2, so why spend the time and money on synth? Unless it's a matter of looks, and I can understand that, but you can buy a good looking lvl 50 orange chest piece for 5k....

I get the augs part but is synth really a benefit for gear? I mean, assuming you don't level up by pvp'ing or doing space missions you get orange gear thrown at you, every other mission offers you a mod, and 2 or 3 per planet offer you armoring, and by the end of a planet you have enough commendations to buy whatever you want for yourself and maybe a companion or 2, so why spend the time and money on synth? Unless it's a matter of looks, and I can understand that, but you can buy a good looking lvl 50 orange chest piece for 5k....

Orange belts and bracers are hardly common and they sell for decent amounts in GTN. Now maybe you can suffer leveling to 50 in a clown suit, but i can't. Looks > all. If you can't stand how your char looks like, you won't love it and you won't play it.

Orange belts and bracers are hardly common and they sell for decent amounts in GTN. Now maybe you can suffer leveling to 50 in a clown suit, but i can't. Looks > all. If you can't stand how your char looks like, you won't love it and you won't play it.

My point was, buying those in the GTN is probably cheaper than getting the mats to make it...like I said you can find oranges for very cheap, and nice looking ones as well. As for belts and bracers any orange will do, it's not like they come in hundreds of designs and you can barely see them...

My point was, buying those in the GTN is probably cheaper than getting the mats to make it...like I said you can find oranges for very cheap, and nice looking ones as well. As for belts and bracers any orange will do, it's not like they come in hundreds of designs and you can barely see them...

True. The day of 1.3 orange belts/bracers sold at around 50k. Now their prices dropped to the 20-30k range, but that's money that could enter YOUR pocket. Think of it this way, say you got the Inquisitor's Sash schematic. Now, this would be made from materials farmable from your capital planet, plus some rare mats that require running missions whose cost is on average 115 creds for a couple. So a sash would cost maybe 600-700 creds to make but it would sell for at least 10k. That's a huge profit. From your point of view, you spend 10k to buy it and then forget all about it. From my point of view, i can make 20 such items with little to no effort and get more money than i can spend at my level. More than that, running UWT missions at lowest of levels (grade 1) can yield schematics that you can sell in the AH for a hefty amount. On my server, belt and bracers schematics easily sell for 100k+ credits.

So from my point of view, that's potential profits, a crapload of creds that could enter my pocket instead of someone else's. Yes, i bet you can make a lot of creds with only gathering profs, but depending on content added, crafting profs could yield much bigger profit for just a bit more work. I can't say i made a killing with 1.3, far from it, but that's because i don't want to flood the market with a ton of orange belts/bracers and see the prices drop too fast. Keeping the supply low, you create a high demand and can keep prices from falling for a long time.

I can probably sell all the mats i have in my banks right now and make maybe 5 mil creds. But i can also use them wisely and make four times as much. Just by watching the market and having some patience.

If you pick up Treasure Hunting (Like I have) as a Sith Warrior, you can get the companion gifts easily using Vette. I currently have 12 maxed affection (10k affection) companions (Counting the 2 ship droids I have maxed on my two 50s) All from TH.

And Yes, crafting is worth it. I currently am able to make gear for all of my players except for the ones that use armormech. It is also a very good way to get money in this game, whether it is crafting rares, or selling materials.

It is widely used for PvE (Operations, Hard Mode Flashpoint, because in Synthweaving, Armormech, Artifice, Armstech (Not sure about that, never got one to 400) at 400/400 rank, you can make special pieces of gear that are Rakata rank. Biochems can also make Reusable stims for any class you play as, and can also sell the higher-level blue stims at a great price.

If you have any questions, send me a message:D

:rak_03:

crafting is absolutely worth it, especially if you play alot of alts. It's good for keeping them geared and any new level 50s that want to start raiding will get a huge jump start over people who don't get crafted gear. I have 8 toons, only one of which is a pure gatherer and they all make money. The problem with gathering though, is that it's a paint to put up all those auctions on the gtn. If they improved the gtn so that you could place a bunch of auctions without having to mannually split your stacks each time, I wouldn't mind. But as it is, I hate making money from gathering.

Armormech and synthweavers get 2 rakata pieces right of the bat. That's worth it right there, then when you factor in augmentation kits and augments, it's definitely worth it. Just about everything my Cybertech produces goes to the gtn and sells almost right away (mods, spaceship upgrades, vehicles). My armstech makes barrels for all my alts (extremely helpful for maximising their damage throughout their whole levelling careers). She also makes barrels and augmented guns for new 50s in my guild, which I would say is worth it. The orange tech staves and vibroswords are also really helpful for companion characters. Slicing? OMG, I have made so many credits from this skill!

crafting is absolutely worth it, especially if you play alot of alts. It's good for keeping them geared and any new level 50s that want to start raiding will get a huge jump start over people who don't get crafted gear. I have 8 toons, only one of which is a pure gatherer and they all make money. The problem with gathering though, is that it's a paint to put up all those auctions on the gtn. If they improved the gtn so that you could place a bunch of auctions without having to mannually split your stacks each time, I wouldn't mind. But as it is, I hate making money from gathering.

Armormech and synthweavers get 2 rakata pieces right of the bat. That's worth it right there, then when you factor in augmentation kits and augments, it's definitely worth it. Just about everything my Cybertech produces goes to the gtn and sells almost right away (mods, spaceship upgrades, vehicles). My armstech makes barrels for all my alts (extremely helpful for maximising their damage throughout their whole levelling careers). She also makes barrels and augmented guns for new 50s in my guild, which I would say is worth it. The orange tech staves and vibroswords are also really helpful for companion characters. Slicing? OMG, I have made so many credits from this skill!

yeah, spending 45min a day splitting stacks and placing them on the GTN for a measly 1 million credits per day sure is annoying.

I have to disagree completely. Level 10-49 gear is nice looking (especially imp agent outfits). Lvl 40 PvP is awesome looking ... I still miss my PT Pyro set! Most of it looks and feels like it belongs in SW. The crap they push on us at 50 is the clown gear obviously made to appeal to all the WoW kids ... uber elite raiders.

I only wish we could RE all the pre 50 gear into orange schematics so we could make it for end game. But this would actually add value to crafters ... so no chance of it happening.

yeah, spending 45min a day splitting stacks and placing them on the GTN for a measly 1 million credits per day sure is annoying.

My point is that you can sell the gear for at least the same amount with much less effort. So while you spend 45min a day splitting stacks you could be spending 15 min a day selling items for the same million. Otherwise, there would be no point in selling items if the components are worth more than the items you're selling.

My point is that you can sell the gear for at least the same amount with much less effort. So while you spend 45min a day splitting stacks you could be spending 15 min a day selling items for the same million. Otherwise, there would be no point in selling items if the components are worth more than the items you're selling.

sorry, maybe its me but there seems to be a tons more people crafting than there is selling mats full time. I can count maybe 5 others on my server for whom I'm always competing on pricing wars versus the hundred of others making the same armor over and over.

I have gathering on all my toons. Yet I hardly gather at all but purchase underpriced items off the GTN and re sell for the going rate. Days when I'm not at work I net 1 million credits per day and even when I just log once a day to check the mail I net around 400k per day credits

Hey Raora,

Any tips for what type of items you look for? Is it all mats? How you determine what the "best going" rate is?

Thanks!

sorry, maybe its me but there seems to be a tons more people crafting than there is selling mats full time. I can count maybe 5 others on my server for whom I'm always competing on pricing wars versus the hundred of others making the same armor over and over.

I won't say it never happens, but you would have to be really clueless to keep making items over an over that sell for less than the individual mats involved to make said item. Even if you gathered all the mats yourself (and I did see this as an arguement in another thread), which by the way makes no difference, if the cost of all the mats involved in making an item is higher than what you can sell the item for, don't make the item, just sell the mats!

In the same vein, I see people selling crit crafted level 50 gear for less than 25k. WTH?! You saved that person the cost of an augmentation kit, at least factor that into your price.

But honestly, back to the original point, I don't know how you gatherers can sit there and post page after page of 1 item listings. At least in WOW, the auction system allows you to do this quickly and easily, on GTN? I just go crazy.

I won't say it never happens, but you would have to be really clueless to keep making items over an over that sell for less than the individual mats involved to make said item. Even if you gathered all the mats yourself (and I did see this as an arguement in another thread), which by the way makes no difference, if the cost of all the mats involved in making an item is higher than what you can sell the item for, don't make the item, just sell the mats!

In the same vein, I see people selling crit crafted level 50 gear for less than 25k. WTH?! You saved that person the cost of an augmentation kit, at least factor that into your price.

But honestly, back to the original point, I don't know how you gatherers can sit there and post page after page of 1 item listings. At least in WOW, the auction system allows you to do this quickly and easily, on GTN? I just go crazy.

I'm well into 8 figures now and fortunately I do not gather much at all now. I just want to thank the people who put materials up for 23cr per unit when they actually sell for 1,000cr per unit