The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Full BM (eliminators) + assault build, still cant break 300k

I'm constantly seeing pyros in WZ break 300-400k dmg, I just recently got my last piece of BM gear, and I even have 4 of them with end/power augments, and I still only averaging about 200k dmg per battle, I've only cracked 300k once. Am I just terrabad, or am I fighting really good imps? My rotation goes like this, I drop the fire dot, then AP, then HIB, then I try and get in ranch for IP or SS, to trigger the refresh of the next HIB, by about this time I'm getting rapped, my HP is dropping and I throw up HoT and Reactive Shield, I get my next HIB, then after this I either spam IP, Hammer Shot, or AP (when its back up) I basically rinse and repeat this, but most of the time I'm dead by then.

I cant even 1v1 most people, they just own my face before I can even get through my rotations. Last night me and pyrotech went at it, and he just demolished me, I got him down to about 1/3 of his HP, but still, for being a mirror class I just feel like I'm missing something huge here. Anyone have any tips? I'm running a pretty general assault build, 31 points in assault with rest going into the elemental dmg/crit on the other 2 trees. My PVP expertise is almost 1200, so I don't think gear is the issue, and I'm slowly getting more augments.

This the same DannyGlover that made the merc video?

If so, it was funny as hell lol.

Anyways, I am a PT Pyrotech, and I usually am never below 500k dmg if the WZ goes the distance, have even broke 1mil dmg in some WZs that went a full length of time.

For PT the rotation is - IM, Thermal Det, Railshot, Flameburst or Rocketpunch (to reset railshot CD).

Also, the best spec for DPS Imho is 7/3/31. In the 7 tree you want the 2 points for 6% aim boost.

The main reasons you see people with 300k+ routinely is either they are full war hero with 650+ bonus dmg, or they are dotting all standing targets. Your Combust dot does alot, the initial flame burst hits for almost 2k, and the remaining 4-5 ticks of the dot have a chance to tick at 800-1k depending on targets. So if you crit on everything, over time that can be 5k+ on a target, just for applying your DOT. If you multiply that to every standing target on a voidstar, you have about 5k x 8 players = 40k damage every 10-15 seconds or so.

Hope that helps.

It sounds like your rotation and build are good, so it could be a combination of other factors. Keep in mind that warzones don't often last the full duration where you'll see high numbers. Also, if you're not getting heals, then the time your respawning/repositioning is going to seriously hurt your numbers. Both your damage and survivability will increase as you turn-over your BM gear for WH, so that will help.

Honestly, I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. The total damage you put out will be very variable depending on the play-out of the warzone. Also, in 1v1s, since this spec depends in large part on RNG (for those big crits), sometimes the mirror class you're fighting will just be luckier. Give it time, get some more gear, and I think you'll see your numbers and overall enjoyment of the spec climb.

Are you starting your attacks from too far away?

Sounds like you're attacking when you can then trying to follow it up.

That's perfect for an assault commando (me) but I'm allowed to do that, I can fire off burst damage at any range (but preferably not melee range).

But if you are gimped until you're within 10m then don't let them know you're on them til you're able to follow through.

Also, damage scores aren't all they're made out to be, I've done over 500k and still knew it was worthless because it was being sponged away by healers guarded by tanks.

Are you starting your attacks from too far away?

Sounds like you're attacking when you can then trying to follow it up.

That's perfect for an assault commando (me) but I'm allowed to do that, I can fire off burst damage at any range (but preferably not melee range).

But if you are gimped until you're within 10m then don't let them know you're on them til you're able to follow through.

Also, damage scores aren't all they're made out to be, I've done over 500k and still knew it was worthless because it was being sponged away by healers guarded by tanks.

Yes, thats exactly what I'm doing. You think its better to get within 10m then unload? I figured being assault is squishy, need to keep my range.

I flip back and forth between Iron Fist and 4-pc Combat Tech gear and Assault spec with 4-pc Elim. When I play Assault spec (using 5/5/31) I do try to put the fire DoT (Incendiary Round) on everyone. Forget what the cooldown is on that but it's quick. Burn 'em baby, burn 'em all.

On a single target as I run in I toss AP then IR then HIB and by that time I am up close where I'll spam Ion Pulse and Stockstrike to reset HIB. I toss AP whenever it's up. Yes I do feel that to get the max out of Assault (or any Vanguard build really) I have to be up close. And yes I do feel WAY too squishy playing Assault. I have tried using a shield to get a bit more survivability but it's not a noticeable difference from a power generator. One thing I really like about an Assault spec is ammo management, it's hard to run out of ammo which is great, it keeps you cranking out the damage.

I think Assault really shines when you have a good healer backing you up. Then you can just pour out the hurt. Without a healer though you just get chewed to bits in most fights.

So I keep going back to Iron Fist and playing with different modifications to it. Still hard to beat in it's original form because it does so many things well. Not great DPS like an Assault spec but I am one of the few who has not written it off yet (even though Taugrim has). Now I'm getting off topic so I'll shut up lol.

Yes, thats exactly what I'm doing. You think its better to get within 10m then unload? I figured being assault is squishy, need to keep my range.

You're squishy but the fine print also says you suck at long range.

So how the heck can you burst on someone if you're so far away you can't reproc your big hitter instantly.

*wait let me run 20m closer now after poking you to get your attention* :confused:

Vanguards and Pyros are meant to kick my *** as a Commando and they do. As long as they pop up at close range and all I see is ion pulse/stockstrike/AP/HiB.

But if they try it on me at 30m I'm going to beat the crap out of them, long range is my game and once they use their HiB and AP, frankly, what they gonna do. Plenty of time for me to react.

So yeah, you're a melee without a quick gap closer. Ofc there's harpoon but generally, just get closer.

Edited by Gyronamics

What he said, Vanguards have ranged skills but to make the whole package work you have to be up close. Vanguards are not a ranged DPS class. In close though you can do wicked damage.

As far as a gap closer yes, there is Harpoon and it's handy as hell. Going up the Assault tree in any meaningful way means you will not get Storm which is a great gap closer. Back to the Iron Fist type spec et al, but that's not what the topic is here. As an Assault spec you'll have to use your feet to close gap but, that actually works well because while running in you are tossing an AP, use IR and HIB all three of which are 30m range skills, next use IP which is 10m and finally SS which is 4m, see how it all works itself out? After SS spam IP and SS unitl HIB pops and toss AP"s as they pop. Rinse and repeat.

Personally i don't like using any channeled skills on my Vanguard no matter what spec I'm running, they are self-roots and the Vanguard (in my opinion and experience) must remain highly mobile and fluid. I can't have anything slowing me down. Plus channeled skills can be interrupted or I can be stunned, knocked back etc which makes them a waste of ammo and time.

If you want to stay back out of the fight and pour in tons of damage, that's a Commando, but if you like a more active playstyle, jumping, running, in their face, smack one down, bugger the healer, go on to the next, that's a Vanguard for ya.

Edited by Chazcon