Instead of new classes, how many would prefer...

frobalt

Right guys, I was thinking, and it occurred to me how new classes would be the natural progression of this game through expansion packs, and I couldn't help but think are new classes really necessary?

I mean, eventually they're going to get to the stage where they're just diluting the class types, after all, what's the point in adding new classes if they're basically just hybrids of other classes?

This made me realise that maybe what is needed is a change around of current class story lines to take into account faction switching.

By that, I mean retcon in parts of the stories to give the classes a chance to defect to the opposite faction. IE: For an imperial agent

It could be that you can choose to defect to the republic and become a member of the SIS. I know this sort of happens at one of the endings, but I mean making it official, so you're a republic player and perform SIS missions, which gives another whole layer to the story.

This would make it so that your choices matter a lot more.

I'm not 100% sure of how this would work, but if there was some way to legitimately switch factions, how many would do it?

How many like the thought of playing a dark jedi knight? Or a sith traitor? It would make the game feel more sandbox like.

I thought of this because defecting is more than viable in this game, due to the fact that you get a lot of dark Jedis in the lore and how smugglers and bounty hunters could go either way really.

Aye, the ability to actually work towards switching sides is a fun concept; would also reduce people's requirement to grind a miruluka to 50 and make a 2nd alt that would be Imperial :p

Naturally, that would apply to all one-sided aliens.

It would also be quite do-able, since all the classes, for now, are pretty much perfect mirrors.

This is a really cool idea.

Aye, the ability to actually work towards switching sides is a fun concept; would also reduce people's requirement to grind a miruluka to 50 and make a 2nd alt that would be Imperial :p

Naturally, that would apply to all one-sided aliens.

It would also be quite do-able, since all the classes, for now, are pretty much perfect mirrors.

In addition to this great list of positive arguments, I also offer the iconic archetype from the movies -- one Mr. Vader who very clearly went from Jedi to Sith when they became FOTM with Patch 66.