Combat Medic with a Battle Rifle?

Mossesman

Im considering making another Commando character so i have one DPS and one healer. I just personally dont like the sound of a medic carrying around a huge assault cannon.

If i was to get a Combat Medic assault cannon, strip out all of the mods and put them in a battle rifle...would it have a big impact on my healing?

No effect on healing but a big effect on utility. Hail of Bolts (AoE) and Charged Bolts require an assault cannon. This makes soloing as a healer much worse (if that is important to you). Also there are the odd occasion when you are healing that the best thing you could be doing is one of these two attacks. Sure you are there to heal, but if you can make the trash go down faster with some AoE, or toss in some damage (particularly as Super Charged Cells affects Charged Bolts) to help beat an enrage you are far more of an asset to your group.

I see this question pop up and I keep wondering why? I love the big cannon look. I can't understand why you'd want to be a trooper healer if you didn't love the cannon - there are Agents, Bounty Hunters and Smugglers to choose from if you don't want a big gun.

Adding to what Soltrooper said, if you're specced into muzzle fluting, you can probably squeeze out 5-9 charged bolts before supercharged bolts expires depending on your alacrity and whether or not you have the 2 piece set bonus. While this may not seem like a problem, you'll be far more useful in cases where you should DPS, such as certain phases during the Soa and Kephess encounters.

Basically, you'll be putting yourself at a slight disadvantage for cosmetic reasons, but you can do it if you really want to though. It certainly won't affect your ability to heal.

Edited by Rodech

i use a battle rifle and i have no problem with dps so i don't have charged bolt and i don't have hail of bolts but what i'm doing is healing my *** off any way not dpsing much in ops it just looks cooler on my female toon then having a huge cannon

Im considering making another Commando character so i have one DPS and one healer. I just personally dont like the sound of a medic carrying around a huge assault cannon.

If i was to get a Combat Medic assault cannon, strip out all of the mods and put them in a battle rifle...would it have a big impact on my healing?

Dude, that's just what I started last saturday.

I already have a 50 Gunslinger which is my AoE DPS, since I work the Saboteur tree with it and I wanted to make a trooper.

I always thought about dealing with a healing toon and I wanted to have a trooper, but I didn't like the looks of those cannons at all.

Although I always carry a custom on in my inventory for when **** gets serious, my main gun is a blaster rifle.

I'll fully spec my trooper on the Combat Medic tree and make it the "field medic" for my small guild (name in sig).

I know that using a rifle we have like 20 ~ 30% DPS output than using a cannon, but that doesn't matter much for me, since Aric can DPS while I help him and keep him alive. This will be the same with my guildies in Ops, Heroics and FPs.

I didn't do it while leveling, but at L50 doing 99% PvP, I do use a rifle nowadays for the look and I have no real issues. As stated, it will not affect your healing, at all, but it will affect your DPS to some degree; however, I find that when I need to DPS (very rare), I can still help out (with my big Crit and Surge numbers [mainly for healing obviously], my attacks can actually do quite a lot of damage when they connect).

It's a game. Do what you want to do to ensure you have fun. And it never hurt to be different and try something new rather than fretting over the numbers and being a rules lawyer munchkin. It's your dime, spend it how you want.

Edited by aethertongue

I never used Charged Bolts even with the cannon, and rarely used the AOE. So cosmeticaly switching to the rifle I liked, and I dont miss moving those 2 abilities off my hotbars. I'd still like acess to the AOE sometimes but usualy something else is available. The lightning AOE is almost always up if I already used my mortars and grenades.

I prefer the stance and look of the rifle, and the stock strike is better IMO. Cannons are cool too though. I'd like a cannon like the one the trooper on the load in screen has.