The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tank dps vs Tank Jugg

Mazdryk

I am just not seeing how to make any significant damage with my tank powertech compared to my Juggernaut. Where is the damage? What kind of rotation are people using for their tanks? I hit so much weaker and have to worry about heat? My normal rage builder is hitting harder than flameburst? *** am I missing?

Flameburst is used to apply debuffs and buff yourself mainly, but it should never hit weaker than your Rapid Shots or Juggernaut's Assault. Sundering Assault maybe, but that has a cooldown. For one, the damage and scaling on it is better, for two its a tech attack so it bypasses the hit table completely, for three its elemental damage so it bypasses the physical damage table as well. Your priority rotation should be Rocket Punch -> Rail Shot -> Explosive Dart -> Flame Burst. You then use Immolate to keep your heat low and use Flamethrower when you are certain it won't take your below your heat threshold preferably with Thermal Sensor Override.

Managing heat can be a problem but my usual pattern is Ability -> Rapid Shots repeat and if I'm at a heat level where one more tick would cap my heat I delay the Rapid Shots 1 GCD and use the next ability in the priority. You can get some real spike DPS using Immolate, Thermal Sensor Override and the Heat Venting from shielding. But you should never do less damage than an Immortal Juggernaut. They had the lowest DPS in the game by 100 DPS in 1.2, and their damage was nerfed by a flat 6% plus Backhand and Crushing Blow were nerfed badly as well. Powertechs saw some minor nerfs to their damage but nothing that should have brought them down below Juggernaut.

Edited by Russlem

Easy damage and rotation if Rocket Jump is viable... Jump > Rocket Punch > Flame SweepX2 > Rail Shot > Rocket Punch > Thermal Sensor Override > Flame Thrower > Flame Burst > Rapid Shots > Rail Shot > Rocket Punch > Rapid Shots > Flame Burst...

Get the idea? You should be doing good damage as a PT tank.

Edited by midnitemonster

I am just not seeing how to make any significant damage with my tank powertech compared to my Juggernaut. Where is the damage? What kind of rotation are people using for their tanks? I hit so much weaker and have to worry about heat? My normal rage builder is hitting harder than flameburst? *** am I missing?

Havent been having any real problems with damage on my Powertech tank. Granted we did just get a bit of a nerf, but also a heck of a buff to our AoE damage.

Usually in FPs I am either 1st or 2nd in total damage. Now I will also admit that any skilled player playing a DPS class will smoke me, all I am saying is if you know your class well, you will be fine. Bioware has been doing a hell of a good job balancing classes in this game so far. I am sorry for you if you disagree.