No death, only Wrath: The Helicarrier Chronicles

bright_ephemera

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[imagines Quinn as a parrot] ... [dies from laughter]

I just love the image of a warrior rapping Quinn against the counter to demonstrate some point about his aliveness. Or any point at all, really, so long as Quinn is getting repeatedly thwacked against the countertop.

Quinn with fabulous feathery plumage is also pretty hilarious. If you get a partly-grey parrot and just train him to say "Yes, my lord," you've already captured a significant percentage of the character...

that was pure gold! Awesome homage!! (I know that's a word, just not sure if I spelled it right.....)

That's exactly the spelling. Good guess given that it's a sneaky French loanword and the French are...not like us, phonetically!

Glad you all enjoyed :D About halfway through I was seriously considering writing a letter of apology to John Cleese for even starting, but...dead Quinn. I once spent an entire month writing dead Quinn sketches without writing The Dead Quinn Sketch. That had to be rectified.

Furthermore, I didn't know where to put this, but some god-awful concept art came to mind when I was going over comic book characters:

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/bright_ephemera/Misc%20SWTOR/CaptainKaasDraft3.jpg

Fear Captain Kaas and his terrifying deltoids! Also his rank insignia! FEAR HIM!

For the Empire!

Furthermore, I didn't know where to put this, but some god-awful concept art came to mind when I was going over comic book characters:

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/bright_ephemera/Misc%20SWTOR/CaptainKaasDraft3.jpg

Fear Captain Kaas and his terrifying deltoids! Also his rank insignia! FEAR HIM!

For the Empire!

Captain Kaas?? Kinda looks like Aric Jorgan to me (which is fine *rawr* )

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh apparently I'm supposed to "write" some stuff for this "fic" thing. Whatever.

First, a crosspost from the weekly Short Fic Challenge Thread:

CHRONICLES PAST, 9: In which Nalenne and Niselle Have (Different) Very Good Days

Best Day Ever: In Which Niselle Has Everything.

Niselle smiled widely when she saw her sister on the holo. Nalenne's image came up gleaming in black armor. She hadn't bothered to hide the reason for her call: she didn't wear a helmet. She didn't wear hair, either.

"Lenny, darling!" simpered Niselle.

"Niselle, b*tch!" said Nalenne. "What do you know about the substance that replaced my shampoo and burned all my hair away this morning?"

Niselle leaned over to grab a hairbrush. She came back on camera to start brushing out her long, luxurious burgundy hair, the waves spilling in a dark sunset cascade to her hips. Nalenne had, until recently, had hair just like it. "I know it permanently damages the follicles, sister. That's never growing back."

"How did you get it onto my ship?"

"Your housekeeping droid. It was easy to alter his routines to trustingly introduce a new shampoo brand."

"Nis, you can't even get your own droid to stop painting your quarters. How did you talk mine into this?"

Niselle shrugged. "I got Khem Val to slice it."

Khem Val, off to one side, grinned toothily.

"He's a much better slicer than you might expect," said Niselle.

"Rok'hai sevasshtaia rish nachtoth Yn und Chabosh. Foon rashtan om nom nom," said Khem Val. (ed. note: 'The principles of systems administration do not change. The gaping user authentication flaws of Yn and Chabosh are replicated to this day.')

"So!" Niselle said cheerfully. "Want to know what else I have that you don't?"

"You're going to tell me no matter what I say," sulked Nalenne.

"You are looking at the third student ever to score over one thousand on one of Overseer Yuuk's Force studies tests."

"One thousand? Out of what, a billion?"

"Out of a hundred, idiot. Standing rule: Between when the test gets turned in and when grades get posted, any student you can kill such that a) people know it was you but b) they can't prove anything, has the test score they would have gotten added to yours. I managed a lightning storm so brilliant that the witnesses can only say I walked in, they were blinded, and by the time they recovered a dozen students were dead."

Niselle, still watching Nalenne, started plaiting a thick braid in her long shining hair while she basked in her own superiority.

Nalenne scowled. "I'm so glad that the remedial class Lord Zash sent you in for is going well. Maybe if you kill enough incompetent teenage students you'll pass it this time around."

"Thanks for your support, darling. – Oh, look at the time. I'm due for supper with that pretty boy you were making eyes at the other week – "

"Dating. Actually dating."

"Yes, well. He's mine tonight. I do hear he loves this hair color. Ta-ta, Lenny!"

-----------------------

The following day, Best Day Ever: In Which Nalenne Taketh Away.

Nalenne picked up the holo and was overjoyed to find her sister wearing a turban and a ferocious scowl.

"Lenny. How."

"I thought that was a little obvious? You tripped a wire, bucket of viciously caustic permanent hair removal glop comes down and ruins your life like you ruined mine."

"HOW DID YOU GET ON MY SHIP."

"That's my secret, Nis. Oh, also, through a very unfortunate error in the records, your multi-murder on Overseer Yuuk's test netted you a test score of minus nine hundred thirty. Scores are locked in, you would have to kill several dozen students for the final to have even a prayer of passing the class."

"How!?"

"I got Khem to slice it."

Niselle started and glared up at Khem Val.

Khem Val spread his hands. "Yek nesh finahai, rok'hon," he said defensively. (ed. note: 'Your sister was persuasive, little Sith.')

"I praised Tulak Hord for an hour straight last night while you were out shagging my almost-boyfriend. Khem was ready to do anything I asked."

"Yek om nom Tulak Hord," Khem said. ('Your sister understands Tulak Hord.')

"I will kill you," Niselle told Nalenne.

"Nyet," said Khem.

"You're my Dashade! Shut up!"

"Much though I'd love to listen to your complete inability to maintain a single friend, Nis, I'm gonna go now. Work to do, revenge to plan, you know how it is. – Thanks again, Khem. Sith Blade Pride, am I right?"

"Om nom," Khem said toothily.

Nalenne gave a last cheerful wave and hung up.

She stood up, stretched, ran a hand over her smooth skull. Well, there were worse things than baldness. Like being both bald and Niselle. She chortled. Then she activated her lightsaber, admiring the new color crystal she had installed only hours ago. It was a subtle shade of red, officially licensed under Scarlet Nexu merchandise, perfectly true to the comic-book hue, hilariously overpriced, therefore purchased entirely by funds from Niselle's sliced accounts, and on top of all that Nalenne still had enough time before supper to go admire it in action.

Miserable Niselle: check. Prospect of bloody victory: check. A small planet's worth of triple loco cocoa ice cream in the freezer for afterward, also courtesy of the credits sliced from Nis's accounts: check. What more could a girl ask for?

Edited by bright_ephemera

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 25: In which the author is reminded in no uncertain terms that she hasn't updated in forever

So there, irishfino.

---

Time period: After Nalenne gets with Andronikos Revel

"So master, I noticed something," said Jaesa. "It seems all your tactical plans lately have involved splitting off with Andronikos."

Everybody in the holo room stopped their post-mission relaxation/decompressing.

"Yes," said Nalenne offhandedly. "It's been working out."

"Even when there's no real reason to split the party at all. What are you doing out there?"

Nalenne looked around shiftily. "Gathering biological samples."

Andronikos choked on something. It took him a little while to cough his way clear again.

"Sith clan denies us both specialized combat assignments and useful biological samples," Broonmark bubbled suspiciously.

"I see, master," said Jaesa. "The reason I ask is you missed a few clasps on your armor. Your highly ornamental garter belt is showing, in addition to a lot of skin where one might expect the side of some panties to be."

Quinn looked up from his datapad. "Wait, what?"

"Um," said Nalenne, twisting to secure her armor at one hip. "So I went out dressed funny this morning. I was saving it to surprise you later, Quinn. Anyway, we got the job done out there, didn't we?"

"Yeah, we did," said Vette. "So that's just great. Uh, how about that Cath Attack's latest album?"

Jaesa shook her head. "The other reason I ask, master, is that one of those armor clasps appears to have caught on Andronikos' belt and remains caught there."

Nalenne looked guiltily at Andronikos. Andronikos smirked.

"I'm really not sure where you're going with this," Nalenne told Jaesa, putting on a very bad innocent face.

"Are we really bothering to deny this?" Andronikos asked Nalenne.

"Yes! Yes, I'm denying things!"

"I thought you were trying out the not-giving-a-**** school of thought."

"No. The sneaky impulse is too ingrained."

"I'm sleeping with her," Andronikos told Jaesa.

"Sneaky!" snapped Nalenne. "You're doing it wrong!"

"Screwing like rabbits, really," reported Andronikos.

"Quit it!"

"Like I care if they know," said Andronikos.

"You're a sneaky thieving piratey sneaking professional ne'er-do-well! You should be helping me in concealing the truth wherever possible!"

"Relax. – I can help you with the relaxing any time you like."

"My lord," Quinn said indignantly, "he has already compromised our effectiveness in the field. I had wondered why the number of narrow escapes and near-disasters was going up."

"And that's what we love about you, Quinn," said Vette. "Your wife's unsatisfied enough to start cheating on you and your first thought is 'Oh, that's why efficiency is down zero point zero three two percent."

"The figure is considerably higher than–" Quinn stopped. "That is, that wasn't my first thought. I wish to register an objection to all this."

"I'd like to register an objection to any further description of the subject," said Vette.

"I'd like to register my approval you finally got around to it," said Pierce. "I mean, really, I hate to think the captain's getting nice things."

Quinn scowled. "I'm still...I am evidently timesharing nice things. Nice things are still involved."

"Yeah, but if you're miserable about it I'm satisfied," beamed Pierce.

"Master, how could you?" said Jaesa. "After all the trouble you went to to save Captain Quinn…"

"I'm getting my money's worth out of him. No problems here."

"Master!" Jaesa's eyes widened even further. "This is why 'work' on separate field assignments crowded out the time we used to take for our Dominion League watchthrough. You're too busy with, with him."

"Yup," said Andronikos.

"You're taking this harder than Quinn is, Jaesa," said Vette.

"Who's surprised? Hm. Not any of us," said Pierce.

Quinn walked over to Nalenne without making a sound. He leaned in and placed a kiss on her forehead, then turned to face the rest of the holo room. He scanned the assembled crew, attempting to figure out the least untrustworthy individual there. He seemed to give 2V serious consideration before shaking his head and turning to Broonmark. "There's no point whatsoever in my asking you to protect her from herself, but do what you can against the other menaces out there."

And with that he walked out.

Andronikos was the first to break the silence. "So. Nalenne. Busy tonight?"

"Uh," said Nalenne.

Andronikos shrugged. "All right."

"I'm surprised he didn't do it earlier," Jaesa said, frowning. "Sometimes you really deserve it, master."

"Don't you start, Jaesa. This is a net good thing. We can watch Dominion League tonight. In my room."

"I got no problem with that," drawled Andronikos.

"…oh," said Jaesa. "That…that's good, then." The transformation of her expression shot straight through angry to nervous to hesitant to glowing. "That's really good."

"That's what I thought," said Nalenne.

So there, irishfino.

:D [popcorn!]

Quinn walked over to Nalenne without making a sound. He leaned in and placed a kiss on her forehead, then turned to face the rest of the holo room. He scanned the assembled crew, attempting to figure out the least untrustworthy individual there. He seemed to give 2V serious consideration before shaking his head and turning to Broonmark. "There's no point whatsoever in my asking you to protect her from herself, but do what you can against the other menaces out there."

Wait... that's it?

He should have stabbed her in the chest!

Or something... wait, what?

Nothing.

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 26: In which the system seeks a new equilibrium

Time period: After Quinn leaves

Quinn walked into the military offices on Dromund Kaas. General Slyne had taken over for General Damand. Quinn knew the new commander mostly by reputation.

And everyone in the Imperial army knew Quinn by reputation.

Quinn saluted. "General. I'm looking for someone to take orders from."

Slyne peered suspiciously at the door. "You didn't bring the Wrath, did you?"

"No, sir."

"She's not going to come looking for you, is she?"

"I don't believe so, sir."

Slyne's eyes slowly widened as the implications set in, particularly the part where an angry Sith might not storm in right this minute to tear him to bits. Finally he smiled. "Well then! Welcome back to the action, mate!"

On the command ship Erinyes, the freshly double-promoted Colonel Quinn reviewed the console briefing. Moff Rillins stopped by. "How's the assignment looking?"

"As I understand it, you want me to take three squads, storm the Republic fortress at the center of the capital city of one of the Core Worlds, neutralize their six battalions, destroy at least five major pieces of infrastructure in various areas, extract an unconditional surrender from their government, and plant an Imperial flag on literally every edifice left standing in that city within the week."

"Your reputation precedes you, Colonel. Can you do it?"

Quinn raised his eyebrows a very tiny bit. "Oh, yes."

He had personally caused physical harm to three Dark Council members without taking meaningful damage from them, stared down the Jedi Hero who had killed the Emperor, and returned to life from an unheard-of metaphysical state; but to be honest, it had been quite some time since he had faced convincingly impossible odds.

Jaesa giggled. "I can't take Mynock's Season 2 uniform seriously. He just looks so spindly."

"Spindly? He's sort of kind of almost closer to normal proportions only still a complete cartoon," said Nalenne.

"Spindly," insisted Jaesa.

Andronikos yawned. He was slumped in a chair, watching the two women who were stretched out on the bed watching the holo. "So are you two going to make out already?"

"No," said Nalenne.

"Why would we do that?" said Jaesa.

"Don't mind him," said Nalenne. "He's just jealous of our relationship."

"They always are," Jaesa said glumly.

"And that's what we love about you, Quinn," said Vette. "Your wife's unsatisfied enough to start cheating on you and your first thought is 'Oh, that's why efficiency is down zero point zero three two percent."

"The figure is considerably higher than–" Quinn stopped. "That is, that wasn't my first thought. I wish to register an objection to all this."

"I'd like to register an objection to any further description of the subject," said Vette.

"I'd like to register my approval you finally got around to it," said Pierce. "I mean, really, I hate to think the captain's getting nice things."

Quinn scowled. "I'm still...I am evidently timesharing nice things. Nice things are still involved."

"Yeah, but if you're miserable about it I'm satisfied," beamed Pierce.

"Master, how could you?" said Jaesa. "After all the trouble you went to to save Captain Quinn…"

"I'm getting my money's worth out of him. No problems here."

"Master!" Jaesa's eyes widened even further. "This is why 'work' on separate field assignments crowded out the time we used to take for our Dominion League watchthrough. You're too busy with, with him."

"As I understand it, you want me to take three squads, storm the Republic fortress at the center of the capital city of one of the Core Worlds, neutralize their six battalions, destroy at least five major pieces of infrastructure in various areas, extract an unconditional surrender from their government, and plant an Imperial flag on literally every edifice left standing in that city within the week."

"Your reputation precedes you, Colonel. Can you do it?"

Quinn raised his eyebrows a very tiny bit. "Oh, yes."

He had personally caused physical harm to three Dark Council members without taking meaningful damage from them, stared down the Jedi Hero who had killed the Emperor, and returned to life from an unheard-of metaphysical state; but to be honest, it had been quite some time since he had faced convincingly impossible odds.

AHAHAHAHHAAHHAA! The first is vintage everybody, and the second...WHY do you keep making me LIKE Quinn? :rod_tongue_p:

and the second...WHY do you keep making me LIKE Quinn? :rod_tongue_p:

Because he's a very likea...wait, that's a lie. He is a very remarkable character in all his incarnations. I was mentally reviewing Nalenne!Quinn's exploits to compose that particular paragraph and ended up thinking "Wow, Quinn's kind of awesome."

I am desperately working to concoct a scheme in which the optimal solution is not divorce and separate careers from here on in. I'll, uh, I'll get to work on that. :p

And that means this 'dumping ground for additional Nalenne inspiration' might have to develop a plot. :eek:

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 27: In which Nalenne does a favor and Quinn does his job

Time period: After Quinn leaves

General Slyne slouched unhappily in his seat. "Colonel Quinn assured me you wouldn't be coming after him."

"Really?" said Nalenne, shaking off the remains of the sole Imperial soldier who had tried to slow her down on her way into the office. "It isn't like him to be wrong. He must be worse off than I thought. So what did you – wait a moment. Colonel?"

"Y-yes, my lord. If you want him demoted instead, or, um, demoted and fired, or demoted, fired, and delivered on a spit…"

"After everything Malavai Quinn has accomplished, the most you can do when he returns to the regular chain of command is Colonel?"

"My lord, since his promotion from Lieutenant less than four years ago, some of his most conspicuous accomplishments have been failing to execute a failed Sith Lord's plan and then, er, dying. We have to take these things into account when making personnel decisions."

"You'll make him a general by close of business or you will experience my personnel decisions, is that clear?"

"Qu-quite clear, my lord. Shall I contact him now?"

"No. Actually, when you do let him know, don't mention me. I think he'll be happier someplace where people have to listen to him."

"Are you even listening to me? I needed the five by seven-meter flags, not the three by five!"

"Sir, yes, sir," yelped the trembling sergeant. "I'll have them right away, sir!"

"You'd better. I've got everything else on the list, we just need the flags flown – properly – on every building in this city before sunset."

Quinn looked up to see an Imperial shuttle landing by the recently claimed governmental building. He approached to welcome Moff Rillins.

"Some work you did here," Rillins said, impressed.

"Only doing my job, sir," said Quinn.

"I did notice the eighty-nine percent casualties, of which ninety-four percent were fatalities."

"The men did a very good job, sir, but they're not very…sturdy. I am accustomed to slightly more…well." He lowered his voice and turned his back to the three surviving soldiers, who were frantically eating in this unexpected respite from Quinn's attention. "Sir, I've met Twi'leks more durable than this. I'm going to need more men if they're all going to flop over at the first sign of point-blank artillery round impacts."

"Perhaps," Rillins said mildly, "you are instead going to need a slight recalibration of expectations now that you're not working for the Emperor's Wrath and the berserkers insane enough to stay near her? – No offense."

"None taken. Perhaps you're right. It's just that everyone around here is conspicuously…mortal."

"Also willing to take orders and engage in rational thought," Rillins pointed out.

"Are you insinuating something, Moff?"

"Not at all." Rillins settled at parade rest and enjoyed the sight of correctly-sized Imperial flags unfurling over the city. "I'll find you our best. Try not to get them all killed at once."

Odd...I actually feel a little sad reading this.

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 28: In which the Hand loses its grip

Time period: After Quinn leaves (don't worry, I have plans for him)

Jaesa's voice lanced through Nalenne's skull with all the delicateness of something getting violently pushed through a hangover-stuffed skull. "Holo for you, master."

Nalenne moaned. "I smashed the holo, Jaesa."

"Yes, master. We fixed it again."

"Why would you do that?"

"I…I needed to know if my fellow Light Side Sith needed rescuing."

"Right! I forgot. I guess you do need the holo for that."

Andronikos stirred and tensed. "Is Jaesa being virtuous?" he growled suspiciously.

"No," said Nalenne. "Go to sleep."

"Better not be," he mumbled, and buried his head under a pillow.

"So Jaesa, what did…oh. Ugh. The Hand is calling. Isn't it."

Jaesa gestured out toward the holo room. "I'm afraid so, master."

Nalenne belted on her dressing gown and shuffled out to the holo. Servants One and Two stared down at her with serious weighty stares.

"…Wrath?" said Servant One.

"I was out late killing things," Nalenne said defensively, trying to smooth her rumpled robe while rubbing sleep out of one eye. "For the Empire, more or less."

"We called out of concern."

"And I care why?" she yawned. The motion bounced pain through her head. She had better start drinking more soon. The persistent state of drunkenness over the last couple of weeks made fighting difficult, but it was difficult in a hilarious way. The boys agreed with her on that. And Broonmark was proving surprisingly handy with a medpac on their group rampages, so even the missteps worked out.

"You have not been answering your holo," scolded Servant One.

"Yes, that's because you've been calling."

"Of more concern is the fact that Captain Quinn has not contacted us, nor responded to our calls, for our usual strategy sessions."

"The captain ignores us," intoned Servant Two.

"Did we do something?" Servant One said anxiously. "Is he mad at us?"

"Ah," said Nalenne. "No, he's not mad, he's just not working for me anymore."

"The Wrath has got to be kidding," quavered Servant Two.

"He moved out," said Nalenne.

"He didn't tell us," grumbled Servant One.

"It was kind of sudden. I'm sure he didn't mean to upset you. Look, I don't know where he is, but contact General Slyne on Dromund Kaas and I'm sure he can get you Quinn's contact information."

"We don't like dealing with the military," said Servant One.

"The military demands verifiable credentials," Servant Two said sorrowfully.

Nalenne frowned. "But Quinn was military and he accepted your orders just fine. Mostly."

"Quinn only served us when it suited him," grumbled Servant One.

"And the captain ran our joint operations," admitted Servant Two.

"That, too," said Servant One. "Once he figured out our broader strategic vision he really wasn't taking orders so much as submitting fully polished plans for approval and lecturing us on the details we had missed in our own research."

"I miss him," Servant Two said miserably.

"Hey," Nalenne said suspiciously. "He's my husband. Get your own."

Servant Two's lip quivered. "The captain never took the Hand's hints."

Both Nalenne and Servant One stared at Servant Two.

"More than I ever wanted to know, Two," said Servant One.

"Agreed," said Nalenne.

"The Hand has been abandoned." Servant Two slunk off.

Nalenne and Servant One faced each other.

"He's taking it hard," explained Servant One.

"Yes, I noticed that."

"I take it you're going to be a completely irresponsible drain on payroll for the foreseeable future?"

"Most likely."

"I don't suppose we could pay you extra to keep the captain around? In spite of the occasional staggeringly inconvenient veto he issued, he really was a valuable asset."

"It doesn't work that way. You want his advice, call his new bosses. Now, do you have any Wrathy assignments for me?"

"No," said Servant One. "Trying to work directly with you is hopeless."

"Glad we understand each other. Now buzz off."

Nalenne hung up and checked the time. She could sleep a couple more hours before the boys were all up and ready to wreak havoc. Beautiful, supervisor-free havoc.

"The captain ignores us," intoned Servant Two.

"Did we do something?" Servant One said anxiously. "Is he mad at us?"

---

Servant Two's lip quivered. "The captain never took the Hand's hints."

Both Nalenne and Servant One stared at Servant Two.

"More than I ever wanted to know, Two," said Servant One.

Trying to laugh silently is really hard, I'll have you know.