Best PvE and PvP specs

BOTADoodles

About to ding 50 on my mara, what a fun class! I've level annihilation the whole way, loved the ability to solo champs with quinn, self healing, constant DoTs... etc.

Now, I'm gonna be doing a lot of HM flashpoints with my guild with him the moment he hits 50, but we're also big on PvP.

I wanted to get everyone's opinion now that I've flipped through the forum a bit, and get an idea of best ways to use mara in both situations.

PvE: I feel THIS is the THE PvE tree (annihilation). The self healing from berserk that I get very often due to Def. Forms, will help everybody, and the constant dots just bleed the bosses dry, probably the most DPS if you're not getting knocked around (which happens in PvP)

For Gear: I know its usually accuracy to 100> crit to 33> surge 70> power rest. BUT, I've read that accuracy may not be as important to Annihil. Maras because bleeds use force accuracy?

PvP: In PvP with Annihil. spec, if I don't get knocked around too much, I pretty much devastate (this is all below 50 PvP, mind you, but some issues i can see popping up in 50). I can interrupt every 6 seconds, and bleed them dry while healing myself. However, when getting knocked around, its hard to keep the DoTs and rage up. (getting used to PvE has spoiled me)

Therefore, I've been feeling that carnage might be best... get the most damage i can possibly get in the quickest. Bear in my I have a pretty decent sorc healer in the guild who would pocket heal me anyway...

And if i go carnage, whats the gear situation like then?

TL;DR: Annihil seems best for PvE, good utility with interrupts and heals and high constant DPS.

Carnage may be better for PvP?

Edited by BOTADoodles

For Gear: I know its usually accuracy to 100> crit to 33> surge 70> power rest.

Truth = nobody knows for sure.

There are tons of numbers flying around as to how much of each stat you should have.

Trying to get and maintain those stats while constantly upgrading your gear will break your bank in no time flat from swapping mods left and right.

Thankfully the devs over at SWTOR have made choosing what to put on your gear (PvE) a very simple matter. At endgame gear BM/(rakata) WH/Camp/BH the only options you have for enhancements (ON THE 2nd stat) is Surge or ACC. at the values that you will have these stats at *(getting 51 per piece or 57 per piece receptively) you will have essentially capped both stats if you keep them even (favor surge while getting new pieces and them optimize when you can). As for the stats to look for on mods/(first stat)enhancements try and get your crit to the high 200's and focus on power heavily.

I'll post my gear in a second to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Bear in mind also that as you gear you are really just prioritizing stats, and b/c of DR getting w/e you have least of.

EDIT: http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u155/salionus/Gear.png, 4 Pieces from optimal itemization.

In answer to your question, ANNI is the highest DPS there is for PvE, an argument could be made for both specs for PvP as predation and roots and burst is good in carnage.

Edited by Salionus

Well, I did some dummy parsing today (ya ya ya not perfect but I was bored).

Suprisingly, over a 5 minute fight my Carnage came out slightly on top then Anni.

In 16man EC HM the other night, i was finally allowed to bring my Marauder (since my Main is a sorc healer). I was running Carnage and the 2 main maras in the guild are anni. During the tanks, I was actually the second highest dps at the end of the fight, even though I was the lesser geared out of anybody (all their mains).

It would seem to me, if you want to be up to par with Carnage you NEED to have your accuracy 108-110 - lots of power and a nice surge for that auto crit force scream (and power will make it juicy). The burst dps is nuts, and really the filler is to spam massacre while Gore is on cooldown, gore, force scream, rupture, massacre, by then ravage will be off cool down again and start your mega rotation over.

Watch the white numbers fly

I dunno, Carnage seems awesome and the animation styles just seem more 'maraudery' to me. The only 2 things i dislike about it, the lack of force charge in close combat to gain rage - and disruption not being on a 6 second cool down.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

You're probably better at carnage. From what I've heard, annihilation is the better of the two specs as far as damage goes, if both are played at the tip top performance with the best gear and whatnot. Only is what I have heard and I personally suck at carnage, so I can't really test it for myself.

That isn't to say it can't be used or isn't good, just the Annihilation tops out a tad higher. At the end of the day, you raid as what you want to, just passing along what I've heard.

EDIT: Strictly talking PvE here, btw

Edited by Theninjafuzz