Is there a non-cover build that is viable for pvp?

dkangl

I love the GS but hate the cover mechanics is there a build that does high dps while being mobile?

While you could do most of your abilities out of cover as DF, ignoring the ability to take cover even as a scoundrel is a bad idea. Especially in pvp. Taking cover provides a lot of benefits. You cannot be leapt to or pulled, although you can be pushed. As a gunslinger you cannot be interrupted. You can roll to or away from an enemy. While in hard cover you block out most of the incoming white damage. basically, not using cover ever, would be the equivalent of a guardian never using guardian leap. You could do your job, but you would be neglecting an important utility tool.

So you would rely on cover less as a DF spec gunslinger, but if you don't want to go into cover ever I would not recommend you playing a smuggler.

Dirty Fighting offers the least amount of cover use, though it still does require cover usage to use several key abilities.

And as another has said, if you don't like the cover mechanic then Smuggler/Imperial Agent is not for you.

as a sabotour i have only needed to enter cover in pvp for less then a minuite to throw cluster grenade and maybe thow off a charged blast once then i move on mobile.

ive gotten high dps score cluster bomb (or whatever its called) is the key as it adds about 5 extra bombs on a target that explode from any damage so you can thow them on a target and simply use your basic attack to detonate them.

as a sabotour i have only needed to enter cover in pvp for less then a minuite to throw cluster grenade and maybe thow off a charged blast once then i move on mobile.

ive gotten high dps score cluster bomb (or whatever its called) is the key as it adds about 5 extra bombs on a target that explode from any damage so you can thow them on a target and simply use your basic attack to detonate them.

not using cover as a sab spec means you are taking 6% more damage than you should be (assuming you are full sab spec, not hybrid which is a different style of play). We have a talent in the 2nd to last tier that makes us take 6% less damage while in cover. Now I am not saying you should always stay in cover. Kiting and LoSing are all very useful. But if you are rarely going into cover, you may not be taking full advantage of the amazing defense that sab provides, especially coupled with ballistic dampers in the SS tree.

Now I want to stress that being in cover does not mean sitting in one place in cover. I often feel more mobile on my gunslinger than I do on my sage (only level 21 so that may improve) and definitely more mobile than my commando (lvl 50).

For SS I am on the move for (instant cast) charged burst, trickshot, quickdraw. And often reposition for Speed Shot (frequently with legshot) to give myself the best chance of getting it all off on the target.

For DF you must be in cover to channel wounding shots (ok, you don't, but should!) which is your hard hitting ability. Same as Speed Shot obviously. Use of Aimshot is also 1 second slower compared to SS for when you need to use it, thus being rooted to the spot for longer..

Edit: SS also gives access to 'Spacer' which reduces XS Flyby by one second. 2 second cast time compared to 3 is a big difference.

Both specs play very differently and I enjoy them equally. However, In terms of mobility I find little difference. I think SS gets badly compared to a 'stationary turret build' which is simply not how it is played well in PvP.

I can't comment on Sab coz i don't play it.

Edited by CrixusBoR

Why would you not stay in coveras sab specced? You get 6% extra damage reduction when in cover.