The Writers' Workshop

Osetto

Bright, this timeline is very good. I've also been looking for a way to keep all my character's ages and stories straight considering the multi-generational plot of my legacy and the game. However, a couple things I feel I should point out to the benefit of all.

First, according to Wookiepedia (I know, not the best source, but still...) and Bioware's upcoming novel Annihilation, written by Drew Karpyshyn, the Treat of Coruscant actually lasted about 12 years before finally breaking and the "Second Great Galactic War" beginning. This probably means that somewhere between the end of Chapter I and the start of Chapter 3 (for most classes) is when the war restarted.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cold_War

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Second_Great_Galactic_War

Anyways, food for thought and good work on the timeline.

Oh, excellent, thank you for these details and corrections! There's no easy way for me to edit the Mediafire download without doing a new upload and link every time, but I'll be tweaking my personal spreadsheet, and your post is here for reference.

OK, I got it working for 3 people...what formulae are you using to add more people? I figured out everyone's birthdates fine and everything, but I'm not sure how to add more people. It's probably because Excel makes it really, really hard.

To add a new character, select an entire existing character row (by clicking the row number at the absolute far left and CTRL+C, then select the empty row you want to use and CTRL+V. I've made an effort to appropriately float/lock cell numbers to gracefully migrate/copy to new rows.

I probably should've said to start with, Columns A, B, and C are the ones you fill in to get auto-calculated ages in all the other columns. Might be obvious, but...yeah. Enter name and year/quarter of birth.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to write a story called Swtor:Heavy Rain.

It is base on a game called Heavy Rain.

Should post my chaper here and someone can tell my spelling mistake or do I just ask for someone aviade how to make it better

This is a fan fic board about the game SWTOR. Not your other game.

WE are NOT a word processor, editing is the responsibility of the author. You have been told on a number of occasions to get a word processor to help with your spelling and grammar. You choose not to get one or use one, and by the looks of it, you don't even review what you write. You claim English is your first language, if that's the case and if you love writing so much maybe you can ask your parents or a teacher for help. This is not English class. If you have a disability, I commend you for attempting to explore this and all the more reason to ask for a family member or a teacher to assist you if you don't have access to a word processor.

People have tried to be gracious and patient and nice about this, but you don't seem to get it, so I'm being blunt.

I wish you luck.

Frist off it crossover of the two games (really have not read title)and I did said before I will get better wordpad as soon as possibe I just really busy on my game aright and do have point those and parent do not know anything about Star wars or they would had help.

Building readership in a small community

So I've seen some posts from at least four different writers who complain about not getting responses (most have fallen off the front page). It made me think about good strategies for getting people to read your stuff AND comment. Since I'm not that good at writing I don't get tons of comments but I have noticed many similarities from those who do so here's what I think would help people to get comments or readership if that's what you need to continue this hobby:

Note: This is not about what you write or writing style. This is more like "posting style" or "community participation"

1. Portion control

Reading is fun but most of us have other things to do. So many of the most successful stories are cut up into consumable pieces that can be read at leisure and continued later. I think a great deal of the success of the short fic thread is that it's easy to read, easy to pick up, and you can leave and come back and catch up effortlessly.

2. Formatting

This is the internet TLDR is a thing because reading stuff on a monitor is not the greatest thing. Wall of Text may be a matter of preference but when someone opens your thread and sees their little scrolly bar turn into a 1 pixel thing they might say, "I don't have time to read that much" and move on to something more consumable.

3. Teasers and Easy reading

I will read long stuff if it I like the short stuff I have read by someone. I will also like humorous exerpts and things that give me a good idea of an authors style and content before I dive in to a larger work.

4. Write new stuff

If you wrote something that did not get a lot of comments, write something else. It does not have to be a different style. But we all like new shiny stuff. Sometimes I will read but not comment until I see a particular phrase that hits me or a scene that makes me really mad.

5. Participate in the community

If you have not commented on someone else's writing or participated in the discussion threads in the past few months try participating in other people's stuff. The people who receive the most comments often leave comments for other people. There are probably more lurkers than posters in this forum and it takes a lot to get someone to unlurk. If you cannot find a single thread here you would want to participate in you might be in the wrong place :)

Edited to remove the less helpful suggestions.

So that brings me to my questions.

For Writers:

What do you do to try to make your work more easily received?

What did you expect the first time you made a thread?

For Readers:

What makes you comment on a thread or not?

Edited by kabeone

Ooh, good questions! I can safely say that the packaging you note in parts 1-3 seems to make a big difference in viewership.

For Writers:

As a writer:

- I stick with humor most of the time. It's not really my natural element, but I consistently get more and more positive responses from humorous pieces. That's a genre decision rather than a general delivery decision.

- I do small, easily digested packets. I hesitate and edit a lot before posting anything over 1000 words. Similarly, long paragraphs get examined and edited to minimize text walls.

I got my feet wet with the Short Fic thread, so that was a safe 'many comments happen, but don't sweat it if they don't happen to you specifically' environment. I honestly don't remember what I was thinking when I posted my first No Death, Only Wrath thread. I figured I would post the four shorts I had written, and maybe some people would be amused, but they might not say anything. It was a big rush to get the first comment right around post #4.

For Readers:

I'm kind of afraid to post on low-activity threads because I feel like it creates an expectation for me to keep reading and actively participating. That may be irrational, but I feel like if I speak up somebody's going to expect me to keep chattering when really I'm out of things to say, I just happened to enjoy that particular post on that particular day.

But if there are already some comments around I feel comfortable stopping by to comment on characters or point out specific turns of phrase I found pleasing (and I love it when readers do the same to my work).

For Writers:

For Readers:

1. I took a cue from the fictions I enjoyed reading, as far as formatting was concerned. Short and sweet, and easy to read in a handful of minutes. I can be guilty of large paragraphs, but I try and keep it to a minimum. I play to my strengths which is turning out to be deep characters and drama.

2. I was nervous, when I first posted to the weekly challenge thread I didn't expect any feedback but was surprised with the positive reaction (well as positive as it could be considering the content of my post). The encouragement led to my first stand alone thread. I fully expected maybe a handful of views and for it to leave the first page by the end of the day, I was pleasantly surprised when I got feedback almost right away urging me forward.

3. I comment on threads of stories I enjoy, I feel like a bit of a blab with how much I comment sometimes. I especially try to comment on stories from authors I may not recognize and authors who may be posting for the first time. I remember how nervous I was and how encouraging those first few comments were so I try and pass it forward.

Edited by Earthmama

For Writers:

Content wise? Pretty much nothing. If this sounds like a declaration of my perceived talent, its not. I've simply found that I write the stories I want to write, tell the stories I want to tell. If someone finds them entertaining... good. If someone doesn't... fair enough. I find that were I to deviate from this model to appease any imaginary audience, the quality of my works would drop to the point of detriment, at which point I would be letting down myself and anyone who's come forth saying they've enjoyed something of mine. I absolutely care about the reader, I suppose I just care less about appealing to the uninitiated, and more about delivering something of substance to those who would seek it out. So I guess you could say I gloss over the 'receiving' stage, focus more on 'maintenance'.

Presentation wise? I do everything in my power to make sure anything I write is presented in such a fashion that it can only be judged by its content. I get to know the unique structure of these particular forums. I check for errors as I go and do a final read through before I post anything. Even still the occasional error will slip past me, but I try my hardest to prevent any elements that might take the reader out of the experience. Beyond simple spelling and grammar checks, I like to present something that appears to have warranted an attention to detail. Formatted titles and texts. Tables of contents. Thematic chapter titles. Things that won't make a story any better, but adds a creative flair.

Again, pretty much nothing. Rather, I didn't know what to expect. The first story I wanted to post was about the Seven, which centered around a group of characters with no in-game class, that took place before the game's established time period. I didn't know if it was too unfamiliar to be well-received, or be seen as a nice change of pace. Instead, I think I posted Acolyte Ascension about two days before it as I was slightly more confident in its structure. But even that story I began writing before SW:TOR was released, back when all people had was grainy footage of the starter worlds from gaming conventions.

I had the first episode of the Seven written out before I bothered posting it, and maybe eight or nine chapters of Acolyte Ascension pre-written. I had intended on posting a chapter a day in the beginning, prolonging the banked material, but the moment I saw the view count start to go up, I felt obligated to give more (despite the fact that those views were probably me returning to check for errors...). Deciding when to finally make that first post was probably the most difficult part. I didn't expect comments. I didn't expect views. That way, anything more was a bonus.

For Readers:

For the third time, nothing. Although this time I find myself disappointed with the answer. I think one of the best things about fan fiction is its ability to foster a community, and I wanted nothing more than to bolster that community. For all my postings, I've never ventured into the stories of fellow writers to leave a comment, something I feel I should do. I consider myself something of an introvertive sort. There's a part of me that considers leaving a comment as intruding. There's another part of me that doesn't want to leave a comment that I feel is insignificant. And yet I know how wonderful it can be to see or hear that someone reads or enjoys a work, even without leaving a wall of text. I enjoy lending a helping hand, offering insight in places like the Corner/Workshop, but for some reason there's some mental block prohibiting me from leaving my mark on someone else's creation.

Maybe it stems from the fact that I often have a problem doing anything until I'm specifically asked, so if anyone wants a new reader/commenter, feel free to send me a private message. I've got time, just no initiative. ;)

Building readership in a small community

For Writers:

I've only written fanfic for a short but been reading for ages (and eventually gave into temptation to write my own XD )

And as a reader I only really clicked on ones that met the criteria for what I wanted to read eg. Smuggler female, sith warrior, etc (characters I've played (and are preferably female) because I don't want spoilers and since if I haven't played on them yet I can't really relate or know whats happening) and to tell if I will want to read it I hover the mouse over the title to show the first few sentences of the thread but I cant always know what character, genre etc. it is when people don't specify at the beginning or the title could refer to any any class.

So because of this, when I post I write what characters it is, relationships, genre so people know.

It helps a lot as a writer and reader to have people do the same, so I would like it if more people did this so I don't miss out on any great fanfics :D

Edited by EverSteam

Frist off it crossover of the two games (really have not read title)and I did said before I will get better wordpad as soon as possibe I just really busy on my game aright and do have point those and parent do not know anything about Star wars or they would had help.

A better word processor, totally free (with other programs): LibreOffice

Mostly just like Microsoft Office, except without the price tag.

And your parents don't need to know anything about Star Wars; just English.

I hope you don't get discouraged. We're trying to help. I see great potential in your ideas and writings, and I presume that's why others are trying to help as well. :) Keep it up; work on a few things and I think you have a great future!

Edited by Adwynyth

• 1 month later...

Browsing the various sub-forums dedication to the lore and canon of the Star Wars universe, I found less discussion, and more heated declarations over who was more correct. I like to think that as fan fiction writers, it's sort of in our purview to take that which is established and mess around with it for the sake of telling a story. I dislike all-or-nothing rules for any creative work, but I also dislike complete freedom without any set boundaries. Therefore, I'd like to try my hand in introducing a series on making the unbelievable believable through examining established canon and adding some wiggle-room. I thought it'd be nice to provide not an end-all be-all declaration, but merely a fun in-character assessment for writers to enjoy on a particular topic.

To kill a Jedi (Or Sith)

From the notes of Cerrik Blood-Eye:

"Query: Someone need’s killin’.

Problem: Force-users are traditionally very hard to kill.

Solution: Employ superior tools and tactics.

Jedi and Sith are supremely skilled combatants who have spent years in training to utilize the their connection to the Force. They possess a physical and metaphysical arsenal for defending themselves and striking out at their foes. Let’s make a rundown of the various strengths and address a number of countermeasures.

Force-Users

Strengths: Enhanced physical strength and dexterity. Enhanced senses and situational awareness. Force abilities. Lightsabers.

Weaknesses: None. Any inherent weakness found in a Jedi or Sith is a product of the individual.

The Jedi’s/Sith’s superiority comes from their connection to the Force, which manifests in three areas: body, mind, and spirit. The Body represents the Force-user’s mastery over the self, allowing them to enhance their strength, reflexes, and endurance. The Mind represents the Force-user’s mastery over the senses, expanding their ability to perceive and understand what is occurring around them. The Spirit represents the Force-user’s mastery over the external, manifesting their power in ways to directly and indirectly affect things around them.

---

The Body: The Force-user is strong. Hand-to-hand, you can’t expect to outclass a Jedi or Sith with mere muscle. The Force-user is quick. You can’t expect to surpass their defenses with a simple volley of blaster bolts. The Force-user endures. You can expect to put down a Jedi or Sith without effort, or expect them not to get back up. But remember, these people aren’t immortal. They are flesh and bone and will expire accordingly. One must understand and accept these facts before they begin to plan killing one.

---

The Mind: Jedi and Sith perceive the world differently than the rest of us. They still see where our sight would fail. When blinded, they are not defenseless. They can feel their surroundings through the Force. They can sense danger. They can uncover your emotions and intentions. They can communicate with their minds alone. They can even effect your mind if you lack the willpower to block them out. When all the information a Force-user possesses is coupled with their martial skill, it becomes very hard to traditionally put these people in the ground.

---

The Spirit: The Force-user possess an array of talents the rest of could never dream of. Moving objects with a wave of their hands. Conjuring lightning from their fingertips. The exact nature of the Force-user’s particular abilities depends on their training and affiliations. Some Jedi are capable of healing their wounds, wiping away whatever progress you’ve made in an instant. Some Sith can snap your neck before they even have to draw their weapons. The only true countermeasures to be employed are knowledge and preparation.

---

Lightsabers: Likely the first and last thing someone sees when confronting a Jedi or Sith. These energy swords are actually beam of superheated plasma capable of cutting through the strongest of materials and deflecting blaster bolts. Coupled with the Force-users physical and mental capabilities, it’s understandable why they are to be feared in melee combat. Remember however, that it is just a device. Luckily, standardized technology has standardized counters.

Countermeasures.

Lightsabers: Let’s begin with defense. Though the lightsaber is capable of cutting through most materials, it does possess some resistant materials. Keyword: resistant. Just as these people aren’t immortal, you’re not going to be able to walk up to one completely protected. There are readily manufactured materials that offer some reprieve from a lightsaber. Cortosis and Beskar.

First cortosis. Lesson one: if someone tries to sell you a blade of pure cortosis, ignore him. While able to short-circuit lightsaber blades momentarily in high densities, the material in its solid form is extremely brittle. You’d pass through their saber only to shatter it against one of their weird shoulder-pads. A cortosis-weave over a vibroblade, however, can give you a fighting chance blade to blade. A cortosis-weave over armored plates can make them lightsaber resistant. Remember, resistant. Those things are hot and will eventually burn through whatever armor or blade you had treated with a cortosis-weave if you let them at it enough. Luckily, the weave process require little amounts of cortosis, meaning you can produce numerable sets of armors and weapons for relatively cheap. Relatively.

The other material is beskar, or Mandalorian Iron. It’s generally heavier, more expensive, and less abundant (assuming you even have access to the Mandos' stockpiles and manufactories), but strong enough to stand up to multiple lightsaber blows and blaster bolts. Rather than an outer layer, armor plates are generally made entirely out of beskar. The skills of its crafters are unmatched, and they are capable of weaving various alloys into numerous forms, including simple meshes and articulate parts. One could assumingly make an entire suit of armor out of the material, joints and all. However, the weight would mean that only the strongest individuals could wear it unassisted. So the question is, which do you go with assuming you have access to both? If you want to coat every surface and stay light, go cortosis-weave. If you want something sturdier and used by people who know a thing or two about this stuff, go beskar. All of this, of course, deals with melee combat.

Without addressing the other strengths of the Force-user, you’ll be hard pressed to kill one straight up with a blaster. They’ll just deflect the energy bolts away, or right back at you. There is, however, the idea of slugthrowers and scatterguns. Slugthrowers are archaic weapon designs, utilizing a solid slug of material propelled by an explosive reaction. Scatterguns are any weapon that fires a scattered burst of ordinance with each pull of the trigger. Scatterguns can be found on generally any black market trade network. Their worth comes from the idea that a lightsaber can only be in so many places and directions at once, meaning it couldn’t possibly deflect the entirety of a scattergun blast, emulating superior numbers with a single weapon. Their size and unpredictability can make them a liability, but in properly trained hands, they can aid in close-to-medium ranged combat.

Slugthrowers on the other hand are not something to be simply picked up and utilized. Generally, most most slugthrowers are only found on backwater planets and amongst game hunters, but idea is that attempting to deflect the slug with a saber would just cause it to melt and pass through to the target. The problem is, most modern slugthrowers still encase the propelled material in a layer of energy, making them deflectable. The only old-fashioned slugthrowers still around are considered artifacts, works of art, or personal creations. So unless you’ve a handy sum of credits, I suggest you find a weapon smith. Assuming you can get your hands on an effective slugthrower, you’re one step close to getting an upper hand on a Force-user. Just don't expect to pick one and be an expert marksman. They handle and operate differently from your standard blaster. As with all things, prepare. And remember, just because you’ve outsmarted their weapons, doesn’t mean you’ve outsmarted the Force-users themselves.

---

The Spirit: A bit harder to counteract. Taking into account the number of possible abilities of Jedi or Sith could throw at you, you couldn’t hope to possess a countermeasure for each one, assuming one existed. Therefore, I’m going to teach you how to defend yourself on the macro level. Let’s set one thing straight, I don’t know who’s been spreading this rumor, but these people don’t need their hands to do their magic. Tying one up and expecting him to be incapacitated is a mistake that will cost you your life. In order to use the Force, the only thing a Jedi or Sith needs is concentration. Therefore, we must break that concentration.

Overwhelming force, distractions, and numbers is the only solid way to overcome Force powers. If you find yourself going solo against one, there are a few things to keep in mind. Just because a Jedi or Sith can move objects with their mind, doesn’t mean you can't move it back. A firm grip can prevent you from losing hold of your weapon. A firm stance can prevent you from being knocked around. Sith are a little more straightforward in their want to end you, and require a little more effort. If one is trying to choke you, that means the entirety of his attention is focused on choking you. Disrupt that attention in any way you can, whether it's blind firing with your weapon or setting off some explosions. If they're focused on your neck, make them remember your fist.

Sith lightning is a matter I still struggle with to this day. It’s in its nature to seek and destroy living material. Luckily, it can’t be conjured over sufficiently long distances by most practitioners. I’ve recently begun to deploy ‘dump charges’, devices that should momentarily divert and absorb the electrical energies, but more field testing is required before I can make a firm assessment.

---

The Mind: The biggest ally of any hunter, assassin, or otherwise deceitful miscreant is the element of surprise. Unsurprisingly, Force-users have the ability to render that element inert. Shut off the lights, and they’ll still sense your presence. Lay a trap, and they sense the danger. Separate them from their allies, and they stay connected through the Force.

The Force-user’s mind is their main defense against snipers. If you were wondering if they could dodge a bullet, yes they can. Avoidance and deflection still come into play when using a slugthrower. As a solid mass, the projectile can't be adequately deflected by a saber, but it can be deflected by a skilled telekinetic. Their mind warns them of the danger, and their spirit defends it. Solution: disrupt the mind. Don’t doubt for a moment that Jedi and Sith don’t possess knowledge and willpower. Tricking them or harming their focus is not an easy task. They’ve enhanced sight, hearing, and even senses we don’t possess. Take one out, the others take over for it. Solution: Instead of harming one, overload all of them.

Flashes of light, sonic weaponry, intense smells, harsh temperatures, make the Force-user afraid to trust any one sense, and strike. They say a trap is worthless if you know it’s coming. Nonsense. Just because a Force-user can sense danger, doesn’t mean they can discern it. Lay innumerable traps, real ones, fake ones. If you know a Jedi or Sith knows they’re in danger, make it work in your favor. Leave obvious clues, hide others. Drive them away, drive them toward. Flank them. Overwhelm them. If their mind falters, their spirit follows. Then you’re simply left with the body.

The last thing to worry is their power over you. Jedi have this uncanny ability to sway the minds of weak-willed individuals. Sith can do far worse thing with your psyche. The only defense is pure will. The most effective combatants know that a mind should be as trained and honed as any body part. Your own mind can be the end of you, it can give away your presence. You must learn to balance its focus, with the ability to go dark. A Force-user can hone in on an overactive mind. Don't go giving your position away. Unless of course, you want them to find you.

---

The Body: The Force-user is skilled. But skill can be overcome. The Force-user is speedy. But speed can be overcome. The Force-user is persistent. But persistence can be broken. Prove your strength. Prove your knowledge. Prove your skill. No one’s immortal. Make them remember that. Make them remember you."

Edited by Osetto

So, random lore question that would cost me a bunch of credits to get companion gifts to level up affection to answer. (SI spoilers.)

I've found some youtube clips if you want to see it for yourself.

Here's a

of the 'conclusion' of the conflict. Here's a
for all of Khem's conversations. Basically two minds enter, one leaves with you influencing which one takes control of the body.

The uploader of those videos seems to have an extensive catalogue of companion conversations, class stories, and other content if any else is interested in seeking those out.

I'm going to try to write/draw a comic book-web-thing. I have some resources about writing for comic books but I thought I would ask some opinions advice here.

1. I've already written a thing, should I rewrite that thing to work with a comic book or attempt to write a new thing. Which means I would be writing a completely new thing and trying to draw it, (that sounds hard to me which is why I'm leaning more towards re-writing one of my old things)

2. If anyone has written for a comic book or movie/play scripts (i guess that's similar) any advice you could give would be appreciated

3. If anyone has general advice or warnings or things to say that don't fit in one or two I always like when people give me advice.

Thank you.

I'm going to try to write/draw a comic book-web-thing. I have some resources about writing for comic books but I thought I would ask some opinions advice here.

1. I've already written a thing, should I rewrite that thing to work with a comic book or attempt to write a new thing. Which means I would be writing a completely new thing and trying to draw it, (that sounds hard to me which is why I'm leaning more towards re-writing one of my old things)

2. If anyone has written for a comic book or movie/play scripts (i guess that's similar) any advice you could give would be appreciated

3. If anyone has general advice or warnings or things to say that don't fit in one or two I always like when people give me advice.

Thank you.

I'd say the biggest difference between a pure writing medium and something like a comic is pacing. With a written story its just one continuous flow of details and information. With a comic, you are offering snapshots that each detail an undefined period of time. There is a flow and a natural progression, but the artistic representation is limited to events detailed in the panels. One needs to decide how much time passes by with each panel. What happenings are tossed aside to the nether realm between panels. You should try and decide upon a style that you feel you are capable of carrying out throughout the entire comic.

In older comics, you'd be presented a singular image and it was up to the character to provide untold amounts of exposition to make up for the lack of information given visually. With comics, I feel 'less is more' is most applicable. Inner and outer dialogue can be instrumental in storytelling, but it can be suffocating. With a comic you are coupling an image with a narrative, and you must insure one does not lag behind the other. A character can only speak so many words across one Force-leap. You need to make sure there is a synchronicity. It's like in tabletop gaming. A round of combat lasts only a few seconds, so you shouldn't be having an in-depth discussion of tactics and actions with your fellows instead of taking action.

Carrying this over to converting a pre-written story depends on the story. Are there any segments that rely fully on action, or fully on dialogue? Is there a pacing that can be captured accurately with the panels and pages of a comic? I know with 1000 words, I can cover either 5 minutes or 5 hours. I have scenes where its just people talking, which offers a lackluster visual representation. I have scenes where noone speaks, making them lengthy action set-pieces. As with all things creative, you define the parameters. A panel can cover seconds or minutes at a time. If you can make something work within your defined parameters, then you should go for it.

I again tried with a fic (Zero, you can check it) and I was wondering...how do you consider snide rermarks ?

Here is an example...

In her desperate quest for recognition, the lead was often trying to push op-ed pieces, imitating the style of more reputable and known reporters. The results were usually somewhat comical, as she had a marked tendency to copy other sources, while not being very good at selecting the right ones. A good example was her legendary editorial about the latest tensions between Coruscant and Alsakans, made with using as the key reference a documentary made by the HHS (Holonet Historical Channel). The editorial was thus heavy on «Pius Dea secret routes», «Celestial cults», «Sith sects kidnapping girls from the Core to use them as sexual slaves», the usual fare of the HHS-how this was exactly related to trade disputes was not very clear in the HHS documentary, and even less the editorial. This masterpiece had thankfully fallen in the cracks somewhere between the lead datapad and the network headquarters. The would-be historian had kept preciously this document, just in case the «boss» managed by some miracle (or by bedding a VP) to achieve some career progression-as a last Pazzak card.

(The idea is to make a jab at the History Channel and introduce quietely the plot point about the Pius Dea)

I need help coming up with a name for an organization.

Something underworld-y, that hires out bounty hunters and mercenary for private contractors. So something like the Hutt Cartel, I guess. Though I want a unique name. Currently I have "Red Marauders" but that's just so incredibly cheesy.

I need help coming up with a name for an organization.

Something underworld-y, that hires out bounty hunters and mercenary for private contractors. So something like the Hutt Cartel, I guess. Though I want a unique name. Currently I have "Red Marauders" but that's just so incredibly cheesy.

Some common formulas are "adjective-celestial body", "leader's name-organizational structure", "leader's noun's", and variations thereof. Here's some building blocks I could think of that could help you out. If you want an organization that operates as middle-men and stay distant from the actual grunt work, you might want to drift toward dark/shadow/spacey names. If you want one that proudly associates itself with its actions, you can drift toward the colorful/bloody/dangerous names.

Organizations: Cartel, Consortium, Company, Council, Outfit, Syndicate, Trust, Union,

Descriptors: Red, Blood, Crimson, Eclipse, Void, Nebula, Galactic, Twilight, Dusk, Zenith

Some possible names:

Crimson Union

Cerise Company

Blood Syndicate

Red Horizon

Red Eclipse

Red Talons

Dusk Council

Void Consortium

Tenebrous

Some common formulas are "adjective-celestial body", "leader's name-organizational structure", "leader's noun's", and variations thereof. Here's some building blocks I could think of that could help you out. If you want an organization that operates as middle-men and stay distant from the actual grunt work, you might want to drift toward dark/shadow/spacey names. If you want one that proudly associates itself with its actions, you can drift toward the colorful/bloody/dangerous names.

Organizations: Cartel, Consortium, Company, Council, Outfit, Syndicate, Trust, Union,

Descriptors: Red, Blood, Crimson, Eclipse, Void, Nebula, Galactic, Twilight, Dusk, Zenith

Some possible names:

Crimson Union

Cerise Company

Blood Syndicate

Red Horizon

Red Eclipse

Red Talons

Dusk Council

Void Consortium

Tenebrous

Thanks, that helps.

So, I had a plotbunny today, but I need some info to flesh it out. Does anyone know of anything catlike that would live on Balmorra? Would Bormu work?

Balmorra is a factory world, so much of the natural wildlife has been wiped out or is strong enough to survive amongst the polluted areas, like the Bormu and large reptiles. It stands to reason that colonial occupants and traders would bring in fauna from around the galaxy for aiding agriculture, home protection, or just as pets, though.

If your looking for large cats, Manka Cats could have been brought from Tython and Alderaan as wild or domesticated. If you can find Nexu at the bottom of a ruined Taris, I'm sure you can find some on Balmorra.

If your looking for some simple domesticated animals, Nerfs and Grazers could have been imported from Alderaan. Colonists could have brought with them pets originating from Naboo, like the Greysor, the Blarth, the Voorpak. From Endor, there's the Jax.

And for no other reason that I enjoyed the picture of it, the Snuzzlegruff.

• 1 month later...

Well, my copy of the Star Wars: The Old Republic: Encyclopedia arrived today, and damn does it have some good information for fanfiction writers. Military structures, historical data, technological specs, story details. All the background information is great for stories like mine, and for those more connected to the game's storyline I imagine things like plot summaries and character profiles could help flesh out details. Companion ages as of 3640 BBY/ 13 ATC could be quite useful. 350 pages and an inch thick, filled with wonderful artwork and valuable information, and presented in a manner that makes it entertaining to read on it's own. It certainly has my endorsement.

On a related note, I now know the proper designations for the starships used by the Republic and Imperial Navy. I've been thinking of doing a series of stories separate from the Ebonstar Collection (I know, I have a problem) some time in the future, based on some form of space-faring folk.

Which do you think would be most interesting?

• Pilots (Military Squadron)
  • Pirates (Independents)
    or
  • Privateers (Mercenaries/Pirate-hunters)