The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Ironfist declared dead by Taugrim, any alternatives?

Cocles

Taugrim just posted on his blog that he does't believe his Ironfist pvp spec is viable anymore now that 1.3 has been released.

I loved PVPing with a Powertech tank spec that still gave me enough DPS to beat someone 1 vs 1 in a fight that didn't last 20 minutes. I also used rocket charge *a lot* (long range interrupts are great when protecting people).

What spec should one use to replace Ironfist? I'll be experimenting myself... but I'd still love some suggestions.

Thanks!

Taugrim just posted on his blog that he does't believe his Ironfist pvp spec is viable anymore now that 1.3 has been released.

I loved PVPing with a Powertech tank spec that still gave me enough DPS to beat someone 1 vs 1 in a fight that didn't last 20 minutes. I also used rocket charge *a lot* (long range interrupts are great when protecting people).

What spec should one use to replace Ironfist? I'll be experimenting myself... but I'd still love some suggestions.

Thanks!

Tanks are only used in rated. Your job is no longer to kill, it's to protect defend and annoy the snot out of everyone while doing almost no damage. Anyone who tells you tanks are dead are simply unable to play it well. The most unkillable person on my server is a Jugg tank. He can't kill you, but he never dies and constantly protects nodes, defends his healers, and breaks up caps better than anyone else.

There is a PT tank who is the same way. Impossible to kill, even with 3 guys pounding on him, he keeps his guard up, taunts repeatedly, grapples and defends like a boss. That is a tanks job. You won't kill me, but it will take me an hour to kill you.

Go Pyro or AP. ST sucks for pvp right now, unless you want to be a punching bag w/crap dps. There are no viable hybrid options at this point.

Not true. I run a hybrid spec... albeit, it's an AP/Pyro hybrid. :-P Now as for *defensive* hybrid specs...

I used to use something similar to this pre-1.2: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301RcrrobckZZGRGb0MM.1

Might have to dust it off again and give it a try. I just hate queueing solo as a tank, if you get 7 idiots on your team you're useless. I find running as DPS is more versatile.

Advanced Proto is a lot of fun. I changed from the Iron Fist to this before 1.3 hit. I found the Iron Fist to be lack luster. It didn't excel at DPS or Tanking. It was below average at both. The diet coke of the PT AC?

Most people roll Pyro because it does a lot of single target damage (always attractive), and if someone is new to pvp it's easy to pick up. AP takes more skill to be effective, has an AOE as it's big damage dealer, think 8K damage per target for everyone in front of your over 3 seconds, while they are slowed by 70% and it can't be interrupted. My biggest proto flame thrower attack post 1.3 was 4 ticks of 2.8k damage on 6 people trying to defuse a bomb. That's 67k damage in 3 seconds. I killed 4 of them with that, fun. Pre 1.3 it could tick 3.3k with relic/adrenal.

Also note that AP damage is elemental, big benefits there, as pyro you can have railshot blocked/dodged/absorbed. AP never over heats, so there is no downtime unless you die.

i also have to admit, while pyro looks great with its huge burst and single target damage, AP is awesome when in the right hands. people heavily underestimate that aoe flamethrower. its awesome in voidstar when a def group drops down from spawn or when attacking/def the door. its just an awesome spec that a lot have no faith in. the heat management is also great.

i also have to admit, while pyro looks great with its huge burst and single target damage, AP is awesome when in the right hands. people heavily underestimate that aoe flamethrower. its awesome in voidstar when a def group drops down from spawn or when attacking/def the door. its just an awesome spec that a lot have no faith in. the heat management is also great.

Heavy pvper's fear the ap because there is no way to mitigate it's damage. Smart pvper's eliminate the pyro first because he dies so fast and left unchecked will crush you.

There is a PT tank who is the same way. Impossible to kill, even with 3 guys pounding on him, he keeps his guard up, taunts repeatedly, grapples and defends like a boss. That is a tanks job. You won't kill me, but it will take me an hour to kill you.

Opf, can you post the link to this build, or something similar?

Tanks are only used in rated. Your job is no longer to kill, it's to protect defend and annoy the snot out of everyone while doing almost no damage. Anyone who tells you tanks are dead are simply unable to play it well. The most unkillable person on my server is a Jugg tank. He can't kill you, but he never dies and constantly protects nodes, defends his healers, and breaks up caps better than anyone else.

^ this ^

If you want to be a tank, then just be that tank and learn how to play one in PvP. That's what I have done as my Jugg. I don't listen to all those people who say to take the DPS gear set, or quit Immortal tree. I just learn to tank the right way in PvP. My job isn't to do damage as Opf mentioned. Its a hard road, but when you fully grasp tanking in PvP, you are beyond beastly.

^ this ^

If you want to be a tank, then just be that tank and learn how to play one in PvP. That's what I have done as my Jugg. I don't listen to all those people who say to take the DPS gear set, or quit Immortal tree. I just learn to tank the right way in PvP. My job isn't to do damage as Opf mentioned. Its a hard road, but when you fully grasp tanking in PvP, you are beyond beastly.

Well, keep in mind the mechanics have shifted significantly in 1.3.

From 1.0->1.2, there was good reason to use DPS gear as a PT/VG tank, because the mechanics enabled them to deliver solid single-target damage. That's no longer the case.

With 1.3, the main value that a PT/VG tank can provide aside from protection and pulls is being a durable node defender - but to do so requires investing in tanking gear not DPS gear.

Also, keep in mind that the mechanics for Jug/Guard were and continue to be different than that of PT/VG. The latter deal a lot of damage than can't be dodged or shielded, so there was good reason to gear a PT/VG more offensively relative to a Jug/Guard.

Edited by taugrimtaugrim