Newb PT Tank - how do I get aggro before Jet Charge?

TomC

I'm coming from a 50 Guardian so some of the lower level mechanics are very frustrating to me. What do you guys do to get initial aggro in FPs? I feel silly just walking into packs and flame sweeping but I don't know what else to do.

Explosive Missile (can cast on the move while running in) or Death From Above if the mobs are close together. Even just spamming your Rapid Shots, and toggling through targets will get the initial aggro on you. Just make sure your DPS'ers focus fire until you gain more threat management over groups.

You have many options, as mentioned DoF, Explosive Dart, or even your AoE taunt missile then Jet Charge. I use any of the ones mentioned.

Jet Charge > Flame Sweep works very well to, Flame Sweep does generate good aggro > Aoe Taunt missile and also replace flame Sweep

DoF > Jet Charge

Explosive Missile > Jet Charge

AoE Taunt Missile > Jet Charge

Jet Charge > Explosive Missile

Jet Charge > Flame Sweep

PT's have a good amount of AoE abilities, so just try a few things and then what ever works best for you.

Did you guys even read what he wrote? You get jet charge at 30. You get sonic dart at 30. He's asking how to get aggro PRIOR to this. The railshot talent to generate aggro is also late 20's.

I'm mostly a PvP tank and have done only a handful of flashpoints, and they were all at 50, so I don't know how much advice to give you. Death from above is a solid option, and if you have flame sweep then you have grapple, which I believe generates high threat not just on the target but on other mobs if you open with it(?). Explosive dart is also nice for AOE threat.

Death From Above is a great way to start early but you have to remember it will knock some weak guys around and that can make it a pain to get them together again. Explosive dart is a good one to because once it blows it will hit three other guys as well. Flame sweep is a good way to get agro on a group also. If you can get them lined up flame thrower them.

FTYI: Taunt works differently in this game than other games. I will automatically take you to 110% of the person with maximum threat, that includes you. I believe if you do it outside of melee range it actually gives you 130%. It also makes them focus on you for 6 seconds. So you can open with whatever and let the other people attack then just taunt and you are going to automatically be at the top of the threat. Then when your taunt comes back from cooldown even if you have agro you can taunt again and end up with an extra 10/30% threat on your own threat (since you were the top one).