Tank flashpoints as Madness level 1-50?

Mashugana

I'd like to level Madness just because I like the tree - but will I be able to tank effectively with that tree? If I am going to use Group Finder and queue as a tank, should I be tank spec? Or is tank spec really only needed end game?

I'd like to level Madness just because I like the tree - but will I be able to tank effectively with that tree? If I am going to use Group Finder and queue as a tank, should I be tank spec? Or is tank spec really only needed end game?

ive ran a couple flashpoints (im at 31 now) as tank with 1.3, i stay in dark charge and worked my way up to death field then i started working my way up darkness, for me i like it.

i dont know how assassin tanking was before 1.3 though

No you will not because madness is not a tanking tree and you wear light armor. You have to go Darkness spec if you want to tank. Madness is a DPS spec and has no extra defensive abilities.

You have to go Darkness spec if you want to tank.

Wrong.

It's true that Madness is a DPS spec and lacks defensive skills compared to Darkness, but you'll definitely want to get Death Field and 2/2 Fanaticism from Madness if you're leveling as a tank. Access to another AOE is way more important than +15% shield chance at level 20-40.

Once you've got 2/2 Fanaticism, work your way up through the Darkness tree.

That's what I did and I had no problems with survivability. I wouldn't want to use a pure Madness build for tanking past level 40, but from level 1-40 it pretty much doesn't matter what spec you're using.

Edited by Qaoz