Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Terrible Cantina Music, and needs non stop loop of music

Noxious_One

Just wanted to rant about the music on the space stations. So here I go,

First off the original John Williams music is what people want in a star wars game. Every successful star wars game in the past has always had John Williams music playing. Even the original Dark Forces PC game had John Williams original sound track in it and it was freaking amazing. Had nothing to do with Luke directly, but was actually before his time. Besides the music made the game bad ***. This cantina "Stuff" that they have in game for SW:TOR is TERRIBLE!!! I don't care that the soundtrack isn't predated/postdated or "shouldn't fit the time period" that should not matter AT ALL. Besides I'm not sure on whatever the "heck" they thought was wrong with having it there in the first place. Just because the cantina music is from the movie sound track doesn't mean it isn't a bad solution to just throw it into the game where the cantinas are. If it was my vote I would have it replaced ASAP. Besides people expect the cantina to sound like this video and what it does in the Star Wars movies. If the game was like this video I'd spend hours in the middle of the space station jamming to the cantina song. Instead I run away with my "freaking" ears bleeding. John Williams Star Wars music has meaning and emotion, leaving that out of a Star Wars game is only shooting yourself in the foot.

Because they dropped the ball on the music in this game that is why they lost all of their people so fast. Not only that, but the key points that trigger music in the game also ruined it for me. I don't mind hearing fighting music when I'm just chilling somewhere. It makes me want to go out and fight! so why does it have to que/kick-in only "ONLY" when I fight!?!?!?!?!?! seriously, keep the music looping non-stop. Besides if im listening to calm music there needs to be a BETTER transition (cause its "Shotty") and have it change to a more fighting type theme; if its from a non fighting soundtrack

If this isn't fixed I give the game another 6 months before they lose another huge chunk of gamers.

When I play Star Wars I want to HEAR Star Wars. I feel it and see it, but I need to HEAR it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI3WArusYQ0

First off the original John Williams music is what people want in a star wars game. Every successful star wars game in the past has always had John Williams music playing. Even the original Dark Forces PC game had John Williams original sound track in it and it was freaking amazing. Had nothing to do with Luke directly, but was actually before his time. Besides the music made the game bad ***. This cantina "Stuff" that they have in game for SW:TOR is TERRIBLE!!! I don't care that the soundtrack isn't predated/postdated or "shouldn't fit the time period" that should not matter AT ALL. Besides I'm not sure on whatever the "heck" they thought was wrong with having it there in the first place. Just because the cantina music is from the movie sound track doesn't mean it isn't a bad solution to just throw it into the game where the cantinas are. If it was my vote I would have it replaced ASAP. Besides people expect the cantina to sound like this video and what it does in the Star Wars movies. If the game was like this video I'd spend hours in the middle of the space station jamming to the cantina song. Instead I run away with my "freaking" ears bleeding. John Williams Star Wars music has meaning and emotion, leaving that out of a Star Wars game is only shooting yourself in the foot.

Because they dropped the ball on the music in this game that is why they lost all of their people so fast. Not only that, but the key points that trigger music in the game also ruined it for me. I don't mind hearing fighting music when I'm just chilling somewhere. It makes me want to go out and fight! so why does it have to que/kick-in only "ONLY" when I fight!?!?!?!?!?! seriously, keep the music looping non-stop. Besides if im listening to calm music there needs to be a BETTER transition (cause its "Shotty") and have it change to a more fighting type theme; if its from a non fighting soundtrack

If this isn't fixed I give the game another 6 months before they lose another huge chunk of gamers.

When I play Star Wars I want to HEAR Star Wars. I feel it and see it, but I need to HEAR it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI3WArusYQ0

Agree a thousand times over, theirs no emotional attachment too this game music needs to be all the time and NOT EVENT BASED , work on this bioware

The cantina music here sounds like the corny cantina music in episode 4, which is probably the point. You don't go to a bar expecting a sweeping orchestral number the flow over the patrons... you go expecting whatever normal music people listen. Which in Star Wars seems to be crappy alien cover bands or something.

Anyway, blame George Lucas, not Bioware.

also I'd like to point out most star wars games don't even have original music... just snippets of John Williams pieces from the movies copy and pasted in on a loop...

seriously the music is great in the movies but listening to it on a loop for hours and hours while I play would just get a monitor thrown out a window and make me no longer enjoy the music in the movies... kinda like the way radio stations ruin songs by playing them every 10 minutes for months on end

Edited by Liquidacid

I get that, but to drive a game to KEEP people interested and GRAB their attention is easy through emotion. Its that simple. The new cantina music has me wanting to log off rather than staying on. That is my main point. =)

Besides it cost a dang bit of money to make this game, I would like to see it last longer and grow than die out and stop. Also took long enough to make too... remember we all waited really long for this at least they could do is tweak the music.

First off the original John Williams music is what people want in a star wars game.

Maybe you should search a song called Lapti Nek in the interweb (the original version) before you wish any more of John Williams music in the game. Also the original ewok song in the end of Return of the Jedi was Williamses too. Both of these masterpieces have been replaced with other songs for some reason in the remastered versions of the original Star Wars films :)

Anyway he is a good composer, he just has bad days like anyone occasionally.

If they actually gave me a good reason to goto the Cantina other than somewhere to log out then i would care alot.

One of the thing that really gets my goat with this game is the lack of social aspects implemented. Cantinas are simply a waste of space as people tend to log out in their ship or on their respective fleet hub.

I have heard the music for the cantina and the ingame stuff and its now turned off.

Frankly they need to bring minigames and challenges into the cantinas and although im on a PvP server i reckon the RP community would Love it provided they gave some smegging chat bubbles (why oh why don't we have them).

Imagine the cantinas bustling with activity, betting, minigames and great music.

Oh i thought i would get this from day 1 considering the budget of the game.

Game should have waited another year to be released imo, but good old EA got in the way again.

Bunch of money grabbing tossers.

Are you complaining because they didn't rip of the music of the movies just like every SW except KOTOR did so far ? Basically you are complaining because they did something on their own. So yeah, they choose originality and difficulty over laziness, and still, you complain.

No, it's not John Williams. It wasn't either on KOTOR. But it's still sound SW.

I think it's quite funny, because if they ripped of the movies musics, there would be topic complaining about it.

I don't see the problem here. Cantinas have Cantina bands and cantina music.... as it should be. Open world, Warzones, space mission and epic moments have the great epic music. I don't know how you can seriously be complaining about this kind of music though in this game, it is an amazing original score.

If you don't like the Cantina music don't go to the cantinas. If the other music was blaring at me all the time when I'm fighting or not I would definitely start hating it, so I like that it isnt ALWAYS playing on a loop.

I never checked if there was a music off slider though maybe the game should have one. Pop it in the suggestion box please though instead of making ridiculous unfounded statements like 'it was the reason why people unsubbed' and 'this game will die in 6 months if it isnt fixed'.

I would never use the option though because the way it is set up it never bothers me and pumps me up.

Honestly, I don't want the John Williams music over and over again. I played SWG for 5 years I've had more than my fill of hearing that music every time i fight something. You will not believe how fast that gets old,

what? are you saying you don't wish to hear the Imperial March on a 12 hour loop? lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.