Builds For Snipers

Atrophine

Hi, I am brand new to playing the sniper class, and I was wondering what are good builds for snipers? I still do not have much exp in the game, so that tree's looks pretty intimidating. :) Sorry if this has been posted before Edited by Atrophine

Hi, I am brand new to playing the sniper class, and I was wondering what are good builds for snipers? I still do not have much exp in the game, so that tree's looks pretty intimidating. :) Sorry if this has been posted before

You can check out my Engineer spec here. The post has links to the skill tree I use, as well as justifications and reasoning for my choices. It's designed to be a ranged DPS that can also take a few hits if need be.

The Marksman tree, though, can be pretty easily min-maxed to dish out some heavy damage. I recommend not getting too complicated and just trying to focus on skills that will yield the most damage. Once you have those you can pretty much temper your build any way you like.

Whatever you do, though, don't neglect Energy Tanks, Gearhead, or Lethality. Those are 3 skills that are very useful to any Sniper build. Steady Shots and Ballistic Dampers are 2 more that fit very snugly into most builds.

Pick a tree and stick to it. Diversifying too much will generally lead to energy issues as many of the important energy efficiency skills are higher in the trees.

Energy tanks should be considered strongly for any build.

Edited by Infalliable

Marksman is the only worthwhile tree current game. Put 3 points into Lethality in the Lethality tree, 3 points into Gearhead, and then focus on the MM tree.

Could you add some justifications to that comment? As far as I can tell, the Engineer build outweighs a Marksman build at pretty much every turn. Engineer does about equal damage, but has more combat options than "point and shoot" and better AoE abilities. Engineer can also take a lot more damage than Marksman and is able to buff his entire team quite well.

Marksman is the only worthwhile tree current game. Put 3 points into Lethality in the Lethality tree, 3 points into Gearhead, and then focus on the MM tree.

that is simply not true. While i would not go lethality until cull (30), it is a nasty spec. I used it a ton in beta, and as far as i know nothing has changed.

that is simply not true. While i would not go lethality until cull (30), it is a nasty spec. I used it a ton in beta, and as far as i know nothing has changed.

I've done extensive timed clears of zones on different specs in the beta to back-up the effectiveness of MM. And its not even close comparatively speaking.... MM came out on top even when using non-optimal rotations.

What metric are you using to measure lethality as "a nasty spec"?

I've done extensive timed clears of zones on different specs in the beta to back-up the effectiveness of MM. And its not even close comparatively speaking.... MM came out on top even when using non-optimal rotations.

Kills, killing blows, and damage done.

Edit: what zone where you running?

Edited by bodatious

Its also a matter of how your delivering the damg, Its well known Marks is the best single target damg atm. Pretty sure we can all agree on that.

But the other specs offer different ways of applying pressure or insetting fear into your enemy.

Any lvl in particular you suggest getting the non MM talents?

Currently lvl 26, almost hitting 27 and have 1 skill already saved.

Straight up MM to sniper's nest so far.

I put a great deal of thought into this spec and through trial and error in the beta/early release and these past 8 days, I think this is what I will go with as a Sniper. Currently I am lvl 38.

This is an endgame build and does not take into account pvp or lvling specs.

Critiques are most welcome! I would be most happy to explain my choices AND non choices if requested.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400bsbrdRsRxzZbcZG.1

Edited by Moulinrogue

I put a great deal of thought into this spec and through trial and error in the beta/early release and these past 8 days, I think this is what I will go with as a Sniper. Currently I am lvl 38.

This is an endgame build and does not take into account pvp or lvling specs.

Critiques are most welcome! I would be most happy to explain my choices AND non choices if requested.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400bsbrdRsRxzZbcZG.1

If this is non PvP spec, Imperial Demarcation and heavy shot are not needed. There will be no situation where you will need to knock back enemies, or root them if tanks are doing their job. The points would be better spent in cover screen and ballistic dampeners, to help your op/fp healers in non avoidable damage phases. Diversion is also an arguable choice outside of pvp. The accuracy debuff is the only useful thing, but if you have maruaders they can blind targets anyway.

been trying different things with my sniper but mm is nice for damage but all its damage abilitys require ya drop to cover and in pvp if enemy gets behind ya not like ya can turn around. get up and move and go to cover again the target will get bhind ya faster then ya be ready to fire. so trying to find a good pvp dps spec for my sniper.

Hi, I am brand new to playing the sniper class, and I was wondering what are good builds for snipers? I still do not have much exp in the game, so that tree's looks pretty intimidating. :) Sorry if this has been posted before

Marksman is the single target pewpew tree, relies alot on cover.

Engineer is more defensive/aoe based but the most energy friendly. relies on cover.

Lethality is poison/dot based while using cull for periodic burst. Its very energy intensive.

For leveling, going engineer up to the last explosive proble upgrade talent and then taking the crit talent in lethality and accuracy/snipe T1 talents in marksman is a good way to go since its energy friendly and does alot of damage.

Marksman doesnt become fully powered until you get followthrough.

Lethality need the 31pt talent to be truly strong aswell as a high crit chance to recover energy from poison tick crits.

For PvP: all 3 works, lethality is highly mobile and good if you solo pvp. Marksman deals sick damage but relies on teamwork more. Engineering can be devastating if used right in aoe settings. (not to mention it makes you and your allies harder to kill)

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400rkrrdRoRtzZrMr.1

That's the build I'm going for. I plan on doing pvp mostly, and after reading all the threads in sniper forums, I wonder if I chose the wrong class. ;] However I have seemingly been doing well. Yes, cover is rough to get used to, but it's also not as much of a burden as the general public seems to think it is. The build I posted gives you the instant cast snipe from Snap Shot. Now combine that with Calculated Persuit in the Eng tree and you have and instant snipe out of cover... holy **** thats good. (I'm only lvl 30 so I'm actually not sure if this works the way I imagine, so correct me if I'm wrong!) Anyway, I've played a ton of MMOs in my day. New machanics like cover take a long time to get the hang of. Its only been a month though.. everyone give your sniper a chance. Play around with builds more. And try to look at cover as an added defensive bonus rather than a burden to your ability list.

350k damage during a void star earlier, marksman spec

Most decent snipers can do this if we just focused on dps. This is fine but it got a little boring for me. It all boils down to your playstyle. I recently switched to lethality because I tend to move around a lot in warzones. To be honest, I haven't seen a huge drop (if any) to my overall dps. MM is more burst dmg while lethality takes a bit more effort to see their hp bar melt.

Currently I play 23/15/3

Maybe the spec sounds weird but you really lose too much punch from followthrough and still have the improved explosive probe plus an interrogative probe for kiting and stopping runners.

Rapid Fire is a bad joke because SoS isn't great either. Imperial Sniper isn't bad but 5 points is a lot. But I guess that's a matter of taste because I like to have some versatility.