The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tactics or Assault for DPS Leveling (and end game)?

Toogeloo

I plan on doing a mix of PvE and PvP while leveling, and going mostly as dps. I may tank in End Game, haven't really decided, but I may also stick with DPS too.

I am having a lot of ammo issues while leveling and PvPing currently, and am mostly in the Assault tree. I was curious if the Tactics tree is just as viable for dps, what the complications of the spec might be, and if it's Ammo issues are far less problematic than that of Assault.

Any advice?

I plan on doing a mix of PvE and PvP while leveling, and going mostly as dps. I may tank in End Game, haven't really decided, but I may also stick with DPS too.

I am having a lot of ammo issues while leveling and PvPing currently, and am mostly in the Assault tree. I was curious if the Tactics tree is just as viable for dps, what the complications of the spec might be, and if it's Ammo issues are far less problematic than that of Assault.

Any advice?

Yea Assault is a heavy ammo user but prioritize the rotation i open with incind round then bolt then ion to hopefully get the freebie bolt or stock strike for it. then plastique depending and this is the spec i leveled as tactics idk ive seen some bhs and troopers use it but not alot really and your always gonna be kinda squishy in pvp

Any advice?

Both are viable leveling specs, you just might have a easier time leveling with a SS and Elara out since you get her fairly quickly(Taris).

You have to just remember Tactics and Assault are dramatically different playstyles. Tactics push out a ton of sustained dps and helps with aggro management while Assault has huge frontload burst tailing off then spike up again. Ammo won't be an issue with practice in both specs, just have to practice weaving in hammer shot between some skills and watching procs for free stuff(i.e. HIB).

Tactics is much more mobile if you like to be a run-n-gun type player. Assault is pretty easy to learn.

Not sure what level you are but neither tree would feel really powerful until probably at least the third tier.

I personally leveled as a Iron Fist/Shield Spec and it was pretty easy with Elara as a pocket healer, never really having to take breaks and taking down elites.

Hope this helps.

Tactics is much more mobile if you like to be a run-n-gun type player.
I figured Assault would be more mobile since it has the instant attacks, while Tactics seems to be more about channeling.

I leveled my Assassin as Darkness while using a DPS pet, so I know leveling as a Tanky spec works well, but I also leveled my Sage and Mercenary as pure DPS with healer companions and found them to be even more fast. My slowest leveling character was my Healer which didn't matter if I ran with DPS or Tank, it just felt slow.

Of the leveling styles, I felt DPS with a Healer companion seemed the most fluid and easy, so that's why I wanted to level the Vanguard as DPS. I really don't have a role plan for it for end-game.

I figured Assault would be more mobile since it has the instant attacks, while Tactics seems to be more about channeling.

I leveled my Assassin as Darkness while using a DPS pet, so I know leveling as a Tanky spec works well, but I also leveled my Sage and Mercenary as pure DPS with healer companions and found them to be even more fast. My slowest leveling character was my Healer which didn't matter if I ran with DPS or Tank, it just felt slow.

Of the leveling styles, I felt DPS with a Healer companion seemed the most fluid and easy, so that's why I wanted to level the Vanguard as DPS. I really don't have a role plan for it for end-game.

Yeah that was somewhat misguided on my part I apologise, I'm pretty mobile in assault spec as well. I only felt that I had to actually stop moving in Tactics when I was doing PC, rest of the time I was applying dots on the move. While I felt in assault to get in and get out fast and start kiting.

As for leveling both spec's will work just fine with a pocket healer, I did try using M1-4X since I'm cybertech and he tanks just fine if you want to go that route. Since our companions don't have resource problems to begin with, I don't think you should have any problem with either spec leveling and any companion.

This matches my experience. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that Vanguards don't have the same kind of spammable AoE options that Sages and Mercs/Commandos have, so your experience may not be similar.

tank leveling will be ultra slow in 1.3, I almost dare say, slower than healer, since your damage output would be almost nothing, due to changes to tank damage. At least, as healer, you can put out some damage once in a while.

right now, it is very good, but imo.. come 1.3, that will be dead.

tank leveling will be ultra slow in 1.3, I almost dare say, slower than healer, since your damage output would be almost nothing, due to changes to tank damage. At least, as healer, you can put out some damage once in a while.

right now, it is very good, but imo.. come 1.3, that will be dead.

That's what the DPS pet is for though. Survivability as a tank is good enough to move through several groups of enemies before having to worry about resting.

I've leveled one vanguard on one server to 47, populations dropped out that I switched to another server now and have been working on my second vanguard. Both times I've always started out in the tactics tree till level 30. Once I hit 30 I respec and pick up storm and stay shield all the way.

I on both I have used mainly Aric as a companion in sniper mode. Elara works as well, but with Aric helping to burn down the mobs it is very nice.

When I switched to full shield spec I was worried that it might slow me down, but I really don't see it. I still feel as I'm going through content.

Also in the 10 to 49 Warzones Shield spec works best for my play style.

I use assault and i love it. you can actually watch some videos of me pvping in the assault spec http://www.twitch.tv/basileus_reges and if you go to http://dpsmeter.com/rankings.php I am currently ranked #1 in the world for EV story mode in 3 of the 4 fights. I use a modified assault spec because i am min/maxing my dps right now. feel free to stop by and ask me questions anytime.

I use assault and i love it. you can actually watch some videos of me pvping in the assault spec http://www.twitch.tv/basileus_reges and if you go to http://dpsmeter.com/rankings.php I am currently ranked #1 in the world for EV story mode in 3 of the 4 fights. I use a modified assault spec because i am min/maxing my dps right now. feel free to stop by and ask me questions anytime.

What spec do you use? I'm a newbie leveling vanguard .