Why do you PVE in swtor?

tehrealdealz

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cause the PvP in this game is awful, whereas the PvE is better.

I'll extend this to say PvP in most MMOs is awful. I mean, it can be a kinda fun diversion every now again, but nothing I'd play the game for. If I want to play a game competitively against other players, Id much rather go play an FPS online.

Because SWTOR wasn't designed to be a PVP game. It's a sideshow with no purpose or meaning in the game world.

It's definately heavier on the PvE side, but then again PvP'ers don't need as much content for the PvP experience to be successful.

The WZ's are working as intended, however as we all know Ilum and world PvP is not, but obviouly that was not BioWare's intent.

It's still a work in progress, but "define purpose and meaning"?

Edited by Hardwear

Cause the PvP in this game is awful, whereas the PvE is better.

I don't really PVP anymore - but the pvp in this game is actually pretty good. Yea you're going to struggle with balance issues, but that aside - what's wrong with it?

Hi everyone so i've been playing swtor from day 1 and I mostly PVP and rarely do PVE content (FPs/Ops) cause after raiding in WoW for almost 5+ years im a little burnt out on that. But the MAIN reason I used to raid in WoW was to get more powerful weapons/trinkets/etc so that I can turn around and use them in PVP (Arenas/RBGs) to earn higher ratings. In swtor I guess its different as I dont really see any items that are any more powerful than the pvp items that you can get from the vendors. So my question is, do you PVErs raid in swtor just to raid? To see end game content? Just trying to understand the idea as to why people raid in swtor. :confused:

Because I enjoy beating the hardest content the game has to offer?

It's definately heavier on the PvE side, but then again PvP'ers don't need as much content for the PvP experience to be successful.

The WZ are working as intended, however as we all know Ilum and world PvP is not, but obviouly that was not BioWare's intent.

It's still a work in progress, but "define purpose and meaning"?

Server/faction wide consequences for winning/losing (perhaps a weekly points tally). Winners could get access to vendors/resources/other content for their faction, etc.

Edited by Gungan

Server/faction wide consequences for winning/losing (perhaps a weekly points tally). Winners could get access to vendors/resources/competitive flashpoints, etc.

Agreed and I think these goals were BioWare's intent, but it obviously didn't quite work out as planned, but how does "purpose and meaning" translate to PvE?

Agreed and I think these goals were BioWare's intent, but it obviously didn't quite work out as planned, but how does "purpose and meaning" translate to PvE?

Not as much as modern MMOs are willing to do. PVE ought to change the face of the game world too... but since everything is instanced. Le sigh. The best we can hope for now is story progression as purpose and meaning.

I would have created iconic bosses for each set of flashpoints and ops (95% of the current endbosses are totally unmemorable and little better than the trash mobs). Then weekly or bi weekly each one of these evildoers would spill out into the persistent world, causing events where their minions try to take over one of the planets and the players have to battle them back in the open world (again based on some kind of point tally) to unlock the flashpoint and op for the week before taking it to them in the instanced area for special titles, bonus loot/tokens, etc...

Ooh Ooh.. and when a particular boss has their event that week, their encounter in the flashpoint/op gets souped up to reflect their rise to their current strength. Like new mechanics. An entirely new boss fight instead of just more damage/hp. On their off weeks they work just like they do now.

Edited by Gungan

Not as much as modern MMOs are willing to do. PVE ought to change the face of the game world too... but since everything is instanced. Le sigh. The best we can hope for now is story progression as purpose and meaning.

I see, good answers.

So we can agree that neither gameplay style has any real purpose or meaning except to the people that enjoy them.

Well... PVE has story. PVP doesn't really have anything.

I admit I love a good story and this is a BioWare game so I'm in the right place, but no company could ever hope to supply it as fast as people can eat through it.

For me PvP never gets old and what is Star Wars without conflict.

Edited by Hardwear

I admit I love a good story and this is a BioWare game so I'm in the right place, but no company could ever hope to supply it as fast as people can eat through it.

For me PvP never gets old and what is Star Wars without conflict.

SWTOR PVP gets old to me really fast; particularly when it takes place on the same 4 tiny maps with 16 people total, ad nauseum.

I just finished grinding Valor 60 for augmented orange gear and I won't be going back for at least a month.

If PVP is going to keep me interested there need to be fortresses and sieging and open world zone/resource control.

Edited by Gungan

Because the PvE is the ONLY thing this game has going for it. If you play for the PvP then I weep for you. This game has 5x the PvE content than it does PvP. 4 WZ's doesn't compare to 12 FP's and 3 OP's in terms of replayability.

Right now i'm not really raiding at all. Most of the good raiding guilds I ran with have left for other games, and raiding with the newer groups is frustrating until they learn the mechanics better.

I decided to go back and try some of the story lines that I haven't done yet and I'm having a blast doing that. My first two classes (Jedi Sage and Trooper) I thought the story was meh at best, but now my second 2, (JK and IA) are significantly better and I am immensely enjoying them so far (lvl 33 on JK and 20 on IA).

SWTOR PVP gets old to me really fast; particularly when it takes place on the same 4 tiny maps ad nauseum.

I just finished grinding Valor 60 for augmented orange gear and I won't be going back for at least a month.

For me the maps are almost invisible except in Huttball with obstacles, but mostly my attention is centered on opponents/strats and although I would definately welcome more maps fixing world PvP is my biggest concern.

Except for initial experiences PvE doesn't quite get my blood pumping the way PvP does.

It's like after you learn the winning strat especially if your rolling with a dedicated guild after that it's pretty much farmville.

Honestly though I couldn't see a AAA MMO without both aspects.

Edited by Hardwear

I did some PVP in GW1, I mostly played the PVE group co-op missions and ide replay them over and over...just because.

I mustve done Thunderhead Keep 600 times,Just for fun.

At one point it was one of the toughest (non-Underworld Missions) then people figured things out but it took a really long time before a general strategy made it easier.

Back then PVP in MMOs didnt thrill me,but I put alot of Unreal tournament 2004 for my adrenalin fix.

I did some PVP in GW1, I mostly played the PVE group co-op missions and ide replay them over and over...just because.

I mustve done Thunderhead Keep 600 times,Just for fun.

At one point it was one of the toughest (non-Underworld Missions) then people figured things out but it took a really long time before a general strategy made it easier.

Back then PVP in MMOs didnt thrill me,but I put alot of Unreal tournament 2004 for my adrenalin fix.

Honestly, I'm waiting for GW2 and Planetside 2 for MMO PVP because they both come with massive scale maps and fortress sieging... plus vehicles, hells yeah.

Hi everyone so i've been playing swtor from day 1 and I mostly PVP and rarely do PVE content (FPs/Ops) cause after raiding in WoW for almost 5+ years im a little burnt out on that. But the MAIN reason I used to raid in WoW was to get more powerful weapons/trinkets/etc so that I can turn around and use them in PVP (Arenas/RBGs) to earn higher ratings. In swtor I guess its different as I dont really see any items that are any more powerful than the pvp items that you can get from the vendors. So my question is, do you PVErs raid in swtor just to raid? To see end game content? Just trying to understand the idea as to why people raid in swtor. :confused:

I pve because I enjoy it. I enjoy the quests, I enjoy fighting alongside my companions. As soon as I reach 50, I will do another character and pve again etc. For me non raiding pve is the best part of the game.