Crafting & Legacy: Why do we get zero points for crafting?

Larkie

I spend a lot of my in-game playing time crafting and doing all of the things that go along with crafting (missions, gathering resources etc). This provides items to the community at a decent cost and I find it enjoyable.

For this, I'm punished with not a single legacy point. So, very simple question, why is the system so biased against crafting?

For this, I'm punished with not a single legacy point. So, very simple question, why is the system so biased against crafting?

It's not really that you're punished, it's that you're not rewarded. But yes. You're right, it would be a nice addition. What would you suggest?

Would be lovely to get, say, 0.01% of the monster kill xp as a legacy reward from anyone using one of your items. The number could be fine tuned, and I'd suggest making it a legacy only reward. If you have 100's of customers it'd start to be significant!

Would be lovely to get, say, 0.01% of the monster kill xp as a legacy reward from anyone using one of your items. The number could be fine tuned, and I'd suggest making it a legacy only reward. If you have 100's of customers it'd start to be significant!

Sounds complicated, but it's a cool idea.

I'd argue simply making the stuff/running the missions/harvesting the nodes should give legacy exp, just like doing space missions, PvP, dailies/Fp's, etc. give legacy directly.

Said this in the other thread, but I'd like to see the way you unlock high level recipies NOT be from RE'ing raid lvel BoP stuff (requiring crafters to raid), but by "purchasing" them somehow with crafting points, that are obtained by people killing things while wearing/using stuff you made. (arguably modified by price sold for non-guildies, so high level crafters don't simply flood the market with cheap/free stuff to learn better items, thus driving "up and coming" crafters out. They'd still want a good price for their sales to get a good crafting points modifier.

Why should they?

This game is not about craftsmen and tradesmen, it is about heroes and villains.

Your crafters, be they level 10s sitting on the fleet or level 50s that don't see much play time anymore, can give your active characters better gear so that their exploration and adventures goes more smoothly, and as a result increase the rate at which your legacy earns XP, but sending a companion out on a 'mission' is hardly something that I would consider to be worth XP, legacy or otherwise.

Why should they?

This game is not about craftsmen and tradesmen, it is about heroes and villains.

Your crafters, be they level 10s sitting on the fleet or level 50s that don't see much play time anymore, can give your active characters better gear so that their exploration and adventures goes more smoothly, and as a result increase the rate at which your legacy earns XP, but sending a companion out on a 'mission' is hardly something that I would consider to be worth XP, legacy or otherwise.

And doing a quick space minigame is?

And doing a quick space minigame is?

That 'quick space minigame' requires that you actually meet objectives.

It requires that the player actually do something other than hit a single button and wait for a piece of gear to appear in their inventory.

It also takes your character away from running other missions. If you are earning XP in space you are not also earning XP while running around on a planet or in a flashpoint.

Edited by Mithros

I think we should get some sort of legacy points or some such, maybe a separate title for those that do craft and sell items on GTN that would be neat.

Once you have multiple companions, it's not very difficult to gather materials, you can do that while working on quests FP or WZ, you can even send them out while in WZ. :rak_03:

Frankly when it comes to Crafting and Legacy I don't care too much if I don't gain Legacy for crafting something. However what would be nice is if all those Bind on Pickup crafting items, which let's face it are rather lackluster unless it's BioChem, should instead be Bind on Legacy. Makes leveling several characters each with a different crafting profession actually worthwhile. Also takes care of that pesky BioChem issue.

Frankly when it comes to Crafting and Legacy I don't care too much if I don't gain Legacy for crafting something. However what would be nice is if all those Bind on Pickup crafting items, which let's face it are rather lackluster unless it's BioChem, should instead be Bind on Legacy. Makes leveling several characters each with a different crafting profession actually worthwhile. Also takes care of that pesky BioChem issue.

No. They should be BoE. Everything crafteable should be sellable. (I suspect the only reason they haven't been fixed is because they are the same item as the dropped version (assuming there are dropped versions?) and Bioware doesn't want THOSE becoming BoE. Replacing them with different item/same name (or heck different name) but same stats doesn't seem to have occured to Bioware.

Crafting is barely an afterthought in the game (IMO). It does seem like something should get some sort of legacy from crafting.

I agree with both statements here.

I agree with the guy who said that running missions shouldn't get you legacy exp just for hitting a button. Plus it is your companion and not you who is doing it. But I think that crafting and RE'ing should give both exp and legacy exp! It shouldn't give so much that you are lvl 50 in a week just by crafting on the fleet. But there should be some exp given out similar to the space missions. Even it just had to be through dailies.