What is Gunslinger highest dps potential....

GoPaul

I feel like I'm holding my guild back in HM EC right now because I can't put out my full potential of dps. On Toth and Zorn our setup was to have me and our other gunslinger on Zorn (for that 30 yard plus range to avoid fearful) and on Toth we had our commando and sentinel. The disparity in damage taken by the bosses was HUGE. I ran my combat log through Mr. Robot, and I found that my average dps was about 1k on fights lasting to about 300 seconds (this is when we would hit the enrage timer). Highest dps I had on an attempt was 1,175k and the lowest was 869.

I'm full SS spec with full Rakata and a few blackhole pieces.

Please just let me know what kind of numbers you other gunslingers are able to support!

your numbers are right there to be good enough to kill. 1K dps is needed by each to take down Toth and Zorn.

On a killing blow Wed night I had 1116dps for Toth and Zorn. SS spec 31/8/2

Your low range of 869dps is a bit low unless its from a hectic wipe. But if its that low at the enrage timer you should pinpoint where you can bring that up to a minimum of 1K dps.

We call out percentages when one is near a jump. So I can be <30m and use a few more abilities (trickshot) and move out >30m when a jump in inc. Red target phase is the hardest on our dps. I drop a XS flyby on the other side from the tank on Zorn and vital shot to keep the dps up on the move.

1k dps still feels to low to me. Even 1.2k seems like less than what other classes are capable of producing.

I was really hoping to hear from other slingers on their numbers being around 1.5k.

1k dps still feels to low to me. Even 1.2k seems like less than what other classes are capable of producing.

I was really hoping to hear from other slingers on their numbers being around 1.5k.

+1.5k DPS is quite doable, I have done it myself but not on that fight. The movement required negates part of your damage potential. And your damage will vary depending the number of armour debuff present or lack there of.

Your damage range is good, don't worry too much about your damage beating the encounter is all that matters.

If you head over to dpsmeter.com, and click on the rankings, you'll see that some gunslingers/snipers have put up parses of them achieving 1500-1600 DPS on Toth and Zorn in all 4 modes of the fight (yes, I am one of them, but I'm not here to brag about that... much. For reference, is 1508 on HM16)

I run 31/7/3. I am in almost all level 61 gear (I still have a 58 mod in my offhand blaster, but that's it). My guild has had HM T&Z down since the first week the instance came out. These are my qualifications for the following:

If you and your guild are new to the fight, you'll find it fairly chaotic. You'll probably notice you move around a lot more than other guilds. This is because it takes practice for your tanks to perfect the boss switching. Eventually, your tanks should get good enough at the "Toth leaps, tanks switch spots and bosses" that you won't have to move much because the new tank will correctly position the boss. Less movement = higher DPS. So, the lesson there is that your DPS will increase as the fight goes on.

Do you keep Flourish Shot up on the boss? As a Sharpshooter, it is something like 90%+ of my damage can be mitigated by armor. It is a big DPS loss to not be debuffing the bosses armor.

You don't have to be over 30m. You do have to be over 25, and for safety purposes, I'd suggest trying to stick to 28 or 28 meters. But if you stay over 30, you can't use vital shot/sabotage charge/shock charge, or really anything other than the blaster abilities. It also makes it harder to use XS Freighter Flyby, which is one of our best single-target abilities.

What is your rotation? Do you use Tibbel's advice from mmo-mechanics.com? With an improper rotation you can still do up to like 80% of the damage of someone using a strong rotation. But the difference between 1200 dps and 1500 dps is that 20%. Make sure you have your rotation down pat. If you're doing it right, Trickshot and Speed Shot should make up 50% or more of your total damage.

Minimizing movement, staying in the sweet spot of 26-29m, debuffing the boss's armor, and maximizing your rotation are all keys to this fight. Once you have that down, all you have to worry about is not dieing during the ground pound/sonic paralysis phase.

Best of luck!

Minimizing movement, staying in the sweet spot of 26-29m...

Best of luck!

For whatever reason I have been hit with fearful even at 29m from zorn when the jump occurs. So i have just got into the habit of moving to >30m and sticking to speed, aim, charge for a few seconds until the jump happens.

Great info, I will have to check and dummy test some rotations. I have got 1280dps on Firebrand but that seems to be low and we are stuck at enrage on them.

For whatever reason I have been hit with fearful even at 29m from zorn when the jump occurs. So i have just got into the habit of moving to >30m and sticking to speed, aim, charge for a few seconds until the jump happens.

Great info, I will have to check and dummy test some rotations. I have got 1280dps on Firebrand but that seems to be low and we are stuck at enrage on them.

You dont have to be 29m from zorn (though you usually are), you have to be 25+m from where toth lands. So think about positioning and simple geometry - is toth jumping over you?

And keep flourish shot constantly applied.

Last kill ~1350dps as DF spec.

Edited by Kiisu

If you head over to dpsmeter.com, and click on the rankings, you'll see that some gunslingers/snipers have put up parses of them achieving 1500-1600 DPS on Toth and Zorn in all 4 modes of the fight (yes, I am one of them, but I'm not here to brag about that... much. For reference, is 1508 on HM16)

I run 31/7/3. I am in almost all level 61 gear (I still have a 58 mod in my offhand blaster, but that's it). My guild has had HM T&Z down since the first week the instance came out. These are my qualifications for the following:

If you and your guild are new to the fight, you'll find it fairly chaotic. You'll probably notice you move around a lot more than other guilds. This is because it takes practice for your tanks to perfect the boss switching. Eventually, your tanks should get good enough at the "Toth leaps, tanks switch spots and bosses" that you won't have to move much because the new tank will correctly position the boss. Less movement = higher DPS. So, the lesson there is that your DPS will increase as the fight goes on.

Do you keep Flourish Shot up on the boss? As a Sharpshooter, it is something like 90%+ of my damage can be mitigated by armor. It is a big DPS loss to not be debuffing the bosses armor.

You don't have to be over 30m. You do have to be over 25, and for safety purposes, I'd suggest trying to stick to 28 or 28 meters. But if you stay over 30, you can't use vital shot/sabotage charge/shock charge, or really anything other than the blaster abilities. It also makes it harder to use XS Freighter Flyby, which is one of our best single-target abilities.

What is your rotation? Do you use Tibbel's advice from mmo-mechanics.com? With an improper rotation you can still do up to like 80% of the damage of someone using a strong rotation. But the difference between 1200 dps and 1500 dps is that 20%. Make sure you have your rotation down pat. If you're doing it right, Trickshot and Speed Shot should make up 50% or more of your total damage.

Minimizing movement, staying in the sweet spot of 26-29m, debuffing the boss's armor, and maximizing your rotation are all keys to this fight. Once you have that down, all you have to worry about is not dieing during the ground pound/sonic paralysis phase.

Best of luck!

You have been EXTREMELY helpful. I didn't know about that guide you referenced, and it has changed my entire outlook on my dps and modified my stat prioritization.

Now my rotation consists of the following format:

Speed Shot - Aimed Shot - Trick Shot - 3second filler - Charged Burst - Trickshot

I'll start off every encounter with Vital Shot and Flourish Shot (keeping this up throughout the encounter). And my filler priorities are:

1. XS Freighter Fly By

2. QuickDraw (If available)

3. Sabotage Charge

4. Vital Shot

Things have been working out much much better, consistently over 1.1k dps and climbing as I get more comfortable with the format. Please let me know if you spot any inconsistency with this and the guide you referenced.

Thanks again!!

You have been EXTREMELY helpful. I didn't know about that guide you referenced, and it has changed my entire outlook on my dps and modified my stat prioritization.

Now my rotation consists of the following format:

Speed Shot - Aimed Shot - Trick Shot - 3second filler - Charged Burst - Trickshot

I'll start off every encounter with Vital Shot and Flourish Shot (keeping this up throughout the encounter). And my filler priorities are:

1. XS Freighter Fly By

2. QuickDraw (If available)

3. Sabotage Charge

4. Vital Shot

Things have been working out much much better, consistently over 1.1k dps and climbing as I get more comfortable with the format. Please let me know if you spot any inconsistency with this and the guide you referenced.

Thanks again!!

I might be wrong and feel free to correct me (haven't played ss for a while), but I don't think vitality shot is worth it in SS spec. You could use that energy and gcd for smth more useful i feel (like an extra charged burst or smth). Only reason to use it, is when out of cover and moving.

Edited by Kiisu

I might be wrong and feel free to correct me (haven't played ss for a while), but I don't think vitality shot is worth it in SS spec. You could use that energy and gcd for smth more useful i feel (like an extra charged burst or smth). Only reason to use it, is when out of cover and moving.

Vital Shot is generally better than an extra Charged Burst (meaning the target won't die before it fully ticks out, we're not overwriting an existing Vital Shot, etc), but it's not worth striving to keep it up 100% of the time. When we are swimming in energy, such as when Burst Volley is active, then it makes a decent energy dump, but Trick Shot, Quickdraw, Speed Shot, Aimed Shot, and XS Freighter Flyby are all of higher priority than Vital Shot.

And of course it's usable on the move, so when we can't stop for SS, AS, or XSFF, it would be used in place of those abilities. :)

Edited by Tibbel

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.