The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why did you choose PvE, RP-PvE, PvP or RP-PvP?

Elfindreams

In the SW universe, you don't think there was unfair fights? Anakin went and killed a bunch of young Jedis training... same thing. It just makes sense compared to waving at each other.

I agree with you in principle. My disagreement comes solely from game mechanics. I do want to thank you for at least for not using the term 'carebear' to describe PvE players.

I chose PvP, because for me, the open world PvP aspect/possibility is the most exciting/fun thing that happens in an MMO.

In SWTOR, sadly, that part of the game basically does not exist, or is extremely rare.

If unclear what I mean by open world PvP, go sign up for the free trial of Warcraft on a PvP server, and after you level past The Barrens, you will likely experience open world PvP.

I chose PvP, because for me, the open world PvP aspect/possibility is the most exciting/fun thing that happens in an MMO.

In SWTOR, sadly, that part of the game basically does not exist, or is extremely rare.

If unclear what I mean by open world PvP, go sign up for the free trial of Warcraft on a PvP server, and after you level past The Barrens, you will likely experience open world PvP.

Local Defense: The Crossroads are under attack!

You do have a point about open world PvP in this game. Though if you think about it, it doesn't make much sense. The only planets the opposing faction will never be on are the starter planets, Coruscant/DK, and Taris/Balmorra. Huh...

PvP...because if you see a player from the other faction, it only makes sense that you should be able to attack it. It would be very weird seeing a Jedi and Sith run up to each other without being hostile. IMO I think most people choose PVE since they are scared that they will get manhandled by another player... even though their response will be something along the lines of not liking unfair fights.

In my years playing WoW I played mostly on PVP servers. When Cata came out, I wanted to make a tauren pally, UD hunter, and a goblin, but I already had 10 80s on my main server. So I had to go to a new server, and I went PVE. Im not really a PVPer but I had enjoyed some world PVP especially in the early days, but what it came down to is when im questing and leveling, I want to be doing that. Im not great but if it was an even fight (someone near my level) I could usually at least take them 1 out of 3 times, often actually get them 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 4, I think mostly because Id played for so long and played every class. But, it takes time away from me trying to level. Cause its never just one fight. They kill you... you rez and go find them and kill them, hoping that will be the end of it, but no, you go back to questing and a few minutes later they stunlock you again. And you end up wasting an hour fighting some lame-o when I could have gained a level.

You do have a point about open world PvP in this game. Though if you think about it, it doesn't make much sense. The only planets the opposing faction will never be on are the starter planets, Coruscant/DK, and Taris/Balmorra. Huh...

Alot of the other planets tho you quest in completely different areas, so the likelihood of running into someone from the other faction is lower than in WoW for example where the quest hubs were often different but the areas youd go to to actually do the quests were the same.

In the SW universe, you don't think there was unfair fights? Anakin went and killed a bunch of young Jedis training... same thing. It just makes sense compared to waving at each other.

He said... you turned to the Dark Side. That you... killed Younglings! :rolleyes:

In a more serious tone: Perhaps they rolled on a PvE server to play with some friends and along the course of time, those friends stopped playing. They like the sound of open world PvP and now want to play on a server that reflects that.

That actually sounds pretty likely. Low pop means you're looking for more to do, and oPvP would definitely be something to do (if they only knew...).

Also, your sig is 20% cooler than mine. :cool:

Edited by psi_overtake

They designed the game and it's areas to AVOID open world PvP.

That's the only reason I've come up with for this design anyway.

I've played both sides to 50, and my guys almost NEVER go through the same geographical area at the same level range as the opposite faction.

TLDR.. There's no open world PvP because they designed the game, and it's levelling experience, away from that. This was a serious design flaw, in my book. I don't think I'm the only one who thinks this way.

PvP...because if you see a player from the other faction, it only makes sense that you should be able to attack it. It would be very weird seeing a Jedi and Sith run up to each other without being hostile...

Ah but with the Treaty of Coruscant that is exactly what is "supposed" to be happening, Jedi and Sith walking up to each other and then scheming behind the others back to kill them instead of walking up to them in broad daylight and openly killing them ;)

Not arguing about open world PvP which sounds like it should be a lot of fun, just pointing out that if you bring lore into it it can get a bit weird ;)

They designed the game and it's areas to AVOID open world PvP.

That's the only reason I've come up with for this design anyway.

I've played both sides to 50, and my guys almost NEVER go through the same geographical area at the same level range as the opposite faction.

TLDR.. There's no open world PvP because they designed the game, and it's levelling experience, away from that. This was a serious design flaw, in my book. I don't think I'm the only one who thinks this way.

Agreed, referring to my just previous post... they even crafted the lore in such a way that it should be unusual to see republic and empire in open conflict on a major populated world. Which is why on the worlds where they are (balmora and crorellia) they go to great lengths to point out that it is weird and the "republic isn't officially on balmora")

I originally wanted to roll on a PvE server or a RP server, but a bunch of my RL friends wanted to roll on a PvP server so I joined them. I enjoy PvP but I hate ganking and being ganked, which is what open-world PvP always turns into in a game that's primarily PvE like this one. I knew that would be the case so I just wanted the warzones when I felt like it and wanted to quest in peace when I didn't.

Now my RL friends have quit, my guild is basically disbanded, and I'd really rather extend my playtime here by finding a nice medium RP and endgame PvE guild. So I would love to transfer over to another server where I can actually get that and enjoy playing the game and finish gearing up my characters while waiting for Makeb and the other new content in 1.4.

^ ^ ^ To the letter, exactly why I want to move to PvE.

We all came over from Wow. I was not the guild leader at the time and he chose that PVE.

I am now. We do not roleplay but I found a higher quality of maturity on the RP server that we were on in Wow so that would have been my preference here.

However,

The PVE server we are on has very few jackwagons so I'm assuming there are generally less of them in this game.

We can't change anyway so its not worth worrying about. Just answering your question as a matter of information.

When I first started this game I picked a PVE server. I enjoy PVP (like Warzones) and although I do not RP in chat I do a lot in my head (I develop backstories and inner thoughts for my characters, but I'm not flamboyant about it).

Knowing that PVP servers had open PVP, I wasn't sure I wanted to be involved with something like that. I had heard stories about open PVP in WoW, with high level players just camping and killing lower players who couldn't do anything about it. I know that sort of thing can be fun sometimes, but I didn't really want to deal with it; I really wanted to focus on my own story and fighting any cool bosses that I came across.

I didn't mind the idea of RP-PVE, but I didn't know how much people would be doing it, and since chatting as my character and RPing my actions doesn't come naturally to me, I decided against it.

Several months into the game I stick by my decision, I am quite comfortable in the PVE environment, and I can find enough PVP to sate my interests.

I am typically a PvPer but i wanted to experience the RP side and figured the game was new and it would be a good place to get started.

Fast forward to now and RP sucks IMO, no sitting no chat bubbles, no decent emotes. I royal pain IMO.

I spend a great deal of time in warzones for gear, credits and leveling. Flashpoints and PVE stuff is too long IMO for a lousey pay off.

So if I could have my way my toons would be moved to a PVP/RP server, but now i am on Ebon Hawk I guess that is cool....

I think OP wants to know more why people who rolled on PVE servers want to transfer to PVP, or RP-PVPers want to transfer to PVP. I'd like to know this myself.

I can't speak for everybody, but I chose PVE to begin with because I really had no intention of doing a lot of PVP. I never played WoW, and viewed this game more as a KOTOR 3, plus I had heard stories from WoW players about max level players camping spawns etc, and didn't want to deal with that.

6 months later, I have 2 War Heros, one of which is flirting with Conqueror. Needless to say, I eventually got very heavily into the PVP aspect, and have often thought about re-rolling on a PVP server because I assume the general talent level is at least a little bit higher.

I haven't, because I still feel like a couple level 50's camping a level 30 spawn are just pimply kids compensating for the fact that they never got to bully anyone in real life, and I still don't feel like dealing with that.

But I could understand why people who had no interest in PVP, want to immerse themselves in it now.

Just as I understand people that were heavily into PVP at the start, being quite bored with it now.

I chose RP-PvP to follow guildies, i would like to move to go back to an old community I've known for a while from a previous mmo. PvP is the one I would be going to, I'm about to honestly cancel just because of this issue and it will be a fee to transfer where you want to, monthly fee is enough I'm not paying.......

Oddly this was what did it for me too, who knows I might re-sub at some future point but reading that we might have to pay for future transfers pushed my recent dissatisfaction with the game (due to many other isuses) over the edge. Just because WoW does it doesn't make it ok, I don't see how charging for server transfers is acceptable in this age of gaming, my brief time playing RIFT essentially reminded me that it is not a necessity for MMO developers to crap on their customer base. My time playing games like Champions Online made me wonder at the entire approach of dedicated servers in general (they always cause problems). As more MMOs go F2P or B2P I found myself increasingly wondering why I was paying monthly for SWTOR. I love the game despite its flaws, but even the possibility of having to pay for later transfers just struck me as a bit of a slap in the face.

In a way it isn't the money, 15$ (the most I can imagine it costing) is an utterly trivial amount of cash, the whole thing just reeks of unappreciation.