Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

All they need are 5 North American Servers.

Mrcheezle

The bottom line is that it is most likely a whole lot easier and quicker to focus on moving the players with active accounts who actually want to still play the game right now, rather than make us all wait another 3 months for them to develop the technology to transfer an entire servers population at once. All things considered, I'm pretty sure they will allow people on dead servers the option to transfer off of for free as long as they are 'dead servers' regardless of how far down the road it is. I'm also assuming that eventually they will develop the technology and a plan to transfer the remaining population on a server (including inactive accounts) to a new server, however inactive accounts isn't where the pressure is coming from right now. I'm glad they are doing what they can RIGHT NOW, and not just making everyone wait till later just to cater to inactive players.

If it was forced mergers then all teh people with toons on Fatman would cry that they had to delete them.

Now when someone has toons on 2 servers BW can say "well you dont have to transfer if you dont want to.. we are not forcing you to delete the Fatman toons" .

Personally my only problem with the transfers is I made toons named Lancelot on every server except Fatman because I thought we would never be tranfering there.

Now more and more it looks like the end will be 1 PVP EAST and 1 PVP WEST.

Probobly 1 PVE EAST and one PVE West. One RP and one RP-PVP server. That's 6 servers.. I dont know how the OP gets 5?

Edited by LancelotOC

I just discussed this with some guys at work. Is what your saying is that you would rather have your server's entire population merged with another server? That is essentially what BW's goal is, yet they're making it optional. Which I'm sure you have noticed. If you're worried about being stuck on a depressingly low pop. server, then transfer your toons. It's not for specifically selected players like you said. Anyone can do it. I guess I am just unclear on what you mean by "merge servers". Physically, you can't really "merge" two servers. Typically what companies do is relocate the population of one server to another server, thus "merging" the server populations. I'm assuming this is what you meant.

His gripe is that there isn't really a "choice" in the matter. He's just mad that it was called a "transfer" instead of a "merge", which is essentially exactly what they are doing.

The servers are merging. There is no real choice if you are on one of the servers where people are transferring off. You have to move, or start over somewhere else, because you certainly won't be playing w/ anyone on your old server anymore.

What doesn't make sense is the entire statement quoted above....

You think strategically transferring entire servers to other servers to not only balance population issues but faction balance is stupid?

And how does basically merging a bunch of servers (Which is what it is even though people want to get mad about it because they called is something else) how is that going to hurt population more? Why would you stay? Because your server had a really cool name? you're ENTIRE server is leaving... and once the players are gone the server will be too.

Is this really how you think things work or are you just mad that on day 2 of transfers you haven't seen your server on the list yet?:rolleyes:

I agree, pretty stupid. Plus transferring over entire servers, inactive players and unwilling players, puts a bigger stress on the destination server and it's database. Could you imagine potential dbase issues you could have if you moved over ALL THAT STUFF from every server that transferred, there would be potential for technical problems.

His gripe is that there isn't really a "choice" in the matter. He's just mad that it was called a "transfer" instead of a "merge", which is essentially exactly what they are doing.

The servers are merging. There is no real choice if you are on one of the servers where people are transferring off. You have to move, or start over somewhere else, because you certainly won't be playing w/ anyone on your old server anymore.

LOL Why can't it be called a transfer? MMO Players are so silly. People are complaining about what it's called. Who cares. And IMO calling it a "Merge" would make less sense than a transfer. A "server merge" means combining the entities into one. GTN isn't transferring, inactive or unwilling participants, all the dbase junk that's unique to each server, is not transferring. Therefore IMO a "Merge" would not fit, especially if you are talking in technical terms.

However know that I'm not using some term malformed by the MMO community. I'm using what their definitions are in real life, and technically.

trans·fer   [v. trans-fur, trans-fer; n., adj. trans-fer] verb, trans·ferred, trans·fer·ring, noun, adjective

verb (used with object)

1.to convey or remove from one place, person, etc., to another:

Edited by Derian

LOL Why can't it be called a transfer? MMO Players are so silly. People are complaining about what it's called. Who cares. And IMO calling it a "Merge" would make less sense than a transfer. A "server merge" means combining the entities into one. GTN isn't transferring, inactive or unwilling participants, all the dbase junk that's unique to each server, is not transferring. Therefore IMO a "Merge" would not fit, especially if you are talking in technical terms.

However know that I'm not using some term malformed by the MMO community. I'm using what their definitions are in real life, and technically.

trans·fer   [v. trans-fur, trans-fer; n., adj. trans-fer] verb, trans·ferred, trans·fer·ring, noun, adjective

verb (used with object)

1.to convey or remove from one place, person, etc., to another:

Semantics, really.

The end result is that the servers populations will be merged, and that while there is the appearance of a choice in the matter, there really isn't one.

I don't think it's so odd to be upset at the idea of how it was announced as a "voluntary transfer", but in reality means "leave now or reroll, because your server will be dead by morning". It's all in the presentation.

It's not voluntary at all if you wish to continue playing this game. : )

Edited by Varicite

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.