Which healer is best for me?

Kira_Sidian

I come form a WoW background were I played a Resto Druid, Holy/Disc Priest, and a Holy Paladin. I enjoyed the druid the most out of the others with the paladin being a close second. Out of the SWTOR classes which closely can be compared to one of these 2 classes? Also which is more FUN (not better atm cuz nerfs/buffs change that constantly) :rak_03:

PVP, i love the feeling of keeping people alive even in the thick of battle, saving them from the very edge of dying

Operative is probably as close as you'll get with our execute range healing. It's not awe-inspiring though. Generally speaking without help on the part of the person being healing sub-30% is dead if you've only just started healing them. At least in pvp anyway.

Edited by CaptainApop

Operative is probably as close as you'll get with our execute range healing. It's not awe-inspiring though. Generally speaking without help on the part of the person being healing sub-30% is dead if you've only just started healing them. At least in pvp anyway.

Yeas I think op/scounds are close to the better pvp healer I see the other two only really good when it comes to pve.

To answer OP's specific question then I suppose my comparison would go something like this.

Operative - Holy pala. Replace flash of light in your dictionary with kolto injection->Surgical probe and you'll see some parallels playstyle-wise. Mixed up a little by a hot and another fairly powerful aoe hot.

Sorcerors - Priests, definitely priests. Something like you'd get if you mashed a disc and a holy priest together. There's bubbles, a placed zone of healing ala circle of healing, a channel reminiscent of penance, a long *** cast and a quick expensive cast.

Mercenaries - I believe RuQu likened them to their shaman in wow, though that may have just been due to the earth shield-esque trauma probe. They have mostly casts with little goodies thrown on. ( armor buffs, hots etc). They aren't in a great spot just at the minute but MMO's such as they are that shouldn't dissuade you.

They also get the pally style boon of wearing the heaviest armor of the lot and being in general a bit tougher.

Edited by CaptainApop

I have a 50 merc, I like the play style but with the nerf I find them really hard to manage in pvp. PVE they work just fine and I have zero issues.

If pvp is your bread and butter then I say it again, give ops a try. We're built on a number of instant casts (srs bsns healing will still require casting) which allows us to run around in circles, flailing our hands in the air, screaming like small children from the big scary lightsaber swinging madmen....and still get healing done.

Worth noting, you don't really have defensive or healing cooldowns worth talking about, you've a fair few escapes but there's a learning curve akin to running into a wall made entirely out of marauders to keep in mind.

Edited by CaptainApop

If pvp is your bread and butter then I say it again, give ops a try. We're built on a number of instant casts (srs bsns healing will still require casting) which allows us to run around in circles, flailing our hands in the air, screaming like small children from the big scary lightsaber swinging madmen....and still get healing done.

Worth noting, you don't really have defensive or healing cooldowns worth talking about, you've a fair few escapes but there's a learning curve akin to running into a wall made entirely out of marauders to keep in mind.

dude you made me laugh for a good 3 minutes straight xD my op is lv 29 and i regular hit 200k healing in low lv pvp. I know its not a big deal but i get the running around flailing your arms thing xD thanks guys think imma give the op a try

Was going to write a long winded post but deleted. I've raided playing both healers post 1.2 and here is the summary:

Operative

- most akin to a Druid.

- Resource management a key to playing the class.

- higher skillcap imo

- Strong single target heal

- excells with heals over time - key to playing the class well.

- better when a fight requires a lot of ranged movement.

Sorc:

- most akin to a priest.

- resource regen is level, so managing resources less stressful.

- resource pool is large, though you will still need to be smart or you can go oom.

- best aoe heal in the game. excells at healing aoe when it is possible to group up for it.

- better control of a tank heal because of the shield bubble imo. Very good oh crap button to uy time to top off tank heals.

- easier to master because of the regen mechanic being similar to wow.

- single target big heal takes longer to cast post 1.2. my biggest gripe with the nerfs to sorcs.

I don't believe Mercs are viable, but I am leveling one to see for myself. To give you an idea of the strength/weakness, I will give you some insight into how myself and my Sorc partner do in HM Denova:

- both average ~1600+ hps over the entire raid.

- Sorc excells on Zorn/Toth due to AoE heal on the meele side.

- Sorc tends to beat me on tanks because his side just takes more damage. He heals the "DD" side. Forget the tanks name.

- We are even on the minefield boss because the fight tends to need all sorts of aoE healing.

- I excel on keth because of all of the movement. I tend to heal ~1750+ hps on this fight because I can roll hots all over the place. The Sorc has started DPS'ing during stretches of the fight :).

Mercs are completely viable and great healers. Anyone who thinks any class in this game isn't viable, regardless of what specc they are, are simply not very good at the game.

Any class can tank. Any class can DPS. Any class can heal.

What makes each class viable is the player sitting in the chair operating the mouse and keyboard, not the class or the specc.

I've never played a Scoundrel/Operative so I won't comment on them. I've healed on a Trooper(Merc) and a Sorc(Sage). I prefer the Trooper.

Edited by pureeffinmetal

I come form a WoW background were I played a Resto Druid, Holy/Disc Priest, and a Holy Paladin. I enjoyed the druid the most out of the others with the paladin being a close second. Out of the SWTOR classes which closely can be compared to one of these 2 classes? Also which is more FUN (not better atm cuz nerfs/buffs change that constantly) :rak_03:

I love it when people diss a class. Kira any class can do well in any given situation. What is matters is your play style and skill.

Commandos are extremely fun healer. Our hammer shot makes us more mobile then any of the other healer class and most improtantly, we where heavy armor...