The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What Do You Guys Think of This PT Hybrid Build

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/powertech#20-62292-32ik1e2if

Basically Im throwing Thermal Detonator (TD) out this window so I can I have Retractable Blade (RB). My logic is that TD does not put out a whole lot more damage than Explosive Dart. At lvl 42 TD tops out at 1200 single target, and Explosive dart tops out at 800 to 3 targets. Being that that TD and Explosive share a CD, and Explosive is 9 heat cheaper, I do not think TD is worth it.

So now that TD is gone I now have RB to play with. RB is on the same lvl as Incendiary Missile (IM) the only difference is that RB is a 4M DoT that costs 16 heat and IM is a 30M that costs 25 heat. Also RB initial damage hits harder than IM, but IM DoT hits harder that RBs DoT.

The first thing that is nice about having IM and RB is that you have two major DoTs that can do simultaneous damage. But I think the real benefit is that it saves a ton of heat when you are at close range. With RB you can put your DoT on two targets and save 18 heat with in the first 3 secs of the fight. Not to mention that PTs, due to their procs, are close ranged DPS anyway.

Having TD would be nice when trying to burn down someone quickly, but with your Rail Shot proc, as long as the RNG is kind, you never really have a problem burning down a target quickly. Anyway, I just started this build, maybe it is already been done. Im just thinking out load and wanted to see what you guys thought.

Edited by CharleyDanger

why rapid venting over gyroscopic alignment jets?rail shot > rocket punch > flame burst offers better and more steady dps as pyro.

silly ppl roll silly hybrid specs, u either go with 7/6/28 or 8/31/2 if u want to be any decent.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Nyxxor

Interesting...is this meant for PvP I assume?

A couple of things to consider though (take it as you will)

-Powertechs have no gap closer. You don't have the 30% run speed of AP and you've switched a ranged skill in favor of a melee one.

-My parses show (on a PvE boss dummy) that thermal detonator averages about 1650 per non crit. My highest crit with thermal detonator was 3505 (Full rakata with 35% tech crit chance and just under 75% surge...I may have had my power relic popped though).

Interesting...is this meant for PvP I assume?

A couple of things to consider though (take it as you will)

-Powertechs have no gap closer. You don't have the 30% run speed of AP and you've switched a ranged skill in favor of a melee one.

-My parses show (on a PvE boss dummy) that thermal detonator averages about 1650 per non crit. My highest crit with thermal detonator was 3505 (Full rakata with 35% tech crit chance and just under 75% surge...I may have had my power relic popped though).

Good point about the gap close. Im not sure what Explosive Dart will do at endgame. I do need to test all of this out the dummies.

Edited by CharleyDanger

why rapid venting over gyroscopic alignment jets?rail shot > rocket punch > flame burst offers better and more steady dps as pyro.

silly ppl roll silly hybrid specs, u either go with 7/6/28 or 8/31/2 if u want to be any decent.

I picked rapid venting over gyroscopic because I use this build to do PvP and PvE. I would love to have a duel spec, but Im not going to respec 10 times a week. I find that heat management is not much of a problem in PvP, especially with my build. I would rather have the heat vented when I need it, not when I happen to have my movement impaired. Needless to say as a DPS in PvE I am never stunned, rooted, and barley ever knocked back.

So 7/6/28? So your saying 5 more points in Shield Tech is a huge game changer?

7/6/28 will give me

6% damage increase to Flame Burst, IM, and Flamethrower and 6% increase to Aim.

2/11/28 will give me

Retractable Blade, 6% damage increase to RB and Flame Burst, Decrease CD on Grapple and Flamethrower.

I appreciate the sarcasm of the spoiler and the cute :rolleyes: but Im not seeing a huge difference between the two. :rak_03::rak_01::p;) lol omw ^^ Justin Bieber :confused: palm face :o fail biscuit like total dude :eek::eek:

Im hip, I gets the lingo of the cool kids now-a-days

Also, rail shot needs to be set up by a DoT. IM is a great DoT, but costs 25 heat. RB is also a DoT that only costs 16. When running towards an enemy I use IM (30M)>Rail Shot>RP>Burst. When I get to close range, or when someone runs up on me I can now use a cheaper but just as effective DoT in RB. In the optimal situation you will have 3 DoTs going at the same time RB,IM, and your cells DoT as well. How will RB give me less DPS?

Edited by CharleyDanger

The question is why does he roll Firebug instead of the Stealth Scanner Perk or Energy Rebounder?

And GAJ

I think this is a solid build, however I would probably edit it like this: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/powertech#20-62292-30kk1ceif

Basically swap Degaussfor GAJ and Firebug for Energy Rebounder.

What PvP set would you use with this build? As Combat-Tech is the typical AP build, Degauss would render the set bonuses of a little less value, but as Eliminator, I would like to have a few more defensive options.

EDIT: Those spoiler specs are bad. Just sayin.

I like where he's going with this build, as RB is a killer move that no one uses anymore (at least it looks cool).

Also, With the easier heat solution, Rapid Venting could be transferred into Degauss, and then combined with an Eliminator set for a solid build.

Edited by AnAcuteAngle

The question is why does he roll Firebug instead of the Stealth Scanner Perk or Energy Rebounder?

And GAJ

I think this is a solid build, however I would probably edit it like this: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/powertech#20-62292-30kk1ceif

Basically swap Degaussfor GAJ and Firebug for Energy Rebounder.

What PvP set would you use with this build? As Combat-Tech is the typical AP build, Degauss would render the set bonuses of a little less value, but as Eliminator, I would like to have a few more defensive options.

EDIT: Those spoiler specs are bad. Just sayin.

I like where he's going with this build, as RB is a killer move that no one uses anymore (at least it looks cool).

Also, With the easier heat solution, Rapid Venting could be transferred into Degauss, and then combined with an Eliminator set for a solid build.

I think I could definitely get away with taking the two points out of Raid Venting now that I have played with it for a few days. I just wish I could have two specs. So many of these talents are clearly for PvP, and others clearly for PvE. It is hard to find a good balance.

After testing this out, it feels a litter inferior to a standard Pyro build. Two points in AP feel out of place, and firebug isn't nearly as strong without IM and TD. The close range requirement of RB feels a little awkward as well. Ranged DOT for RS feels more comfortable and more safe.

Its not just about the TD versus RB's damage comparison; its about how you stack damage in relation to burst. RB shares the GCD in terms of damage with rocket punch and other melee skills, so RB will give you an opportunity for steady damage; Pair TD ( a skill that has a DELAY in the damage) with RS (meaning you time it so you shoot RS once TD explodes) and BOOM! You are sitting on burst damage.

'nuff said?

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/powertech#20-62292-32ik1e2if

Basically Im throwing Thermal Detonator (TD) out this window so I can I have Retractable Blade (RB). My logic is that TD does not put out a whole lot more damage than Explosive Dart. At lvl 42 TD tops out at 1200 single target, and Explosive dart tops out at 800 to 3 targets. Being that that TD and Explosive share a CD, and Explosive is 9 heat cheaper, I do not think TD is worth it.

So now that TD is gone I now have RB to play with. RB is on the same lvl as Incendiary Missile (IM) the only difference is that RB is a 4M DoT that costs 16 heat and IM is a 30M that costs 25 heat. Also RB initial damage hits harder than IM, but IM DoT hits harder that RBs DoT.

The first thing that is nice about having IM and RB is that you have two major DoTs that can do simultaneous damage. But I think the real benefit is that it saves a ton of heat when you are at close range. With RB you can put your DoT on two targets and save 18 heat with in the first 3 secs of the fight. Not to mention that PTs, due to their procs, are close ranged DPS anyway.

Having TD would be nice when trying to burn down someone quickly, but with your Rail Shot proc, as long as the RNG is kind, you never really have a problem burning down a target quickly. Anyway, I just started this build, maybe it is already been done. Im just thinking out load and wanted to see what you guys thought.

With all due respect, there is nothing "hybrid" about this. If anything it is a "gimped" pyro build. If you want to loose TD, which is something I wouldnt recommend after 1.2, then you're better off Taking Steely Resolve. Going short on Pyro to add a few more points in AP is always a bad idea. If you are looking for a true AP/Pyro Hybrid, then look up the Maverick.

Retractable Blade, not only is it a bad dmg dealing ability (especially non-enhanced), but more than that, it forces you into the 4m range. One of the main advantages of a Pyro is being able to stay in the 10m range.

Maybe it's your level or gear, but TD will EASILY do double or even triple the dmg of ED. At 50, and with 1200 expertise TD does 4-5k crits. But the best thing about this damage is the delay it has. Timed correctly with a Rail Shot, you can take someone down to 50% in 3 GCDs.

Edited by Agooz

With all due respect, there is nothing "hybrid" about this. If anything it is a "gimped" pyro build. If you want to loose TD, which is something I wouldnt recommend after 1.2, then you're better off Taking Steely Resolve. Going short on Pyro to add a few more points in AP is always a bad idea. If you are looking for a true AP/Pyro Hybrid, then look up the Maverick.

Retractable Blade, not only is it a bad dmg dealing ability (especially non-enhanced), but more than that, it forces you into the 4m range. One of the main advantages of a Pyro is being able to stay in the 10m range.

Maybe it's your level or gear, but TD will EASILY do double or even triple the dmg of ED. At 50, and with 1200 expertise TD does 4-5k crits. But the best thing about this damage is the delay it has. Timed correctly with a Rail Shot, you can take someone down to 50% in 3 GCDs.

I do agree that until Im lvl 50 the stats do not mean anything. I also did not think about the timing of TD and RS, good point.

Also this build was never supposed to be for hardcore PvP players. I play a ton of PvE and being with in 4Ms is never a problem because that is were I post up so I can get my RP-RS proc.

Edited by CharleyDanger

I've tried all kinds of hybrids on all classes, there's only 2 decent hybrids I give respect to, the rest I scoff at- it's 18/0/23 for operative and the "Iron Fist" PT hybrid (which will be a bit crap in 1.3 due to loss of 30% surge to rocket punch). I've toyed with a few vengeance/rage hybrids for jugg, not bad.

Otherwise for the most part, 31pt builds are much better off.

Edited by Sookster

I've tried all kinds of hybrids on all classes, there's only 2 decent hybrids I give respect to, the rest I scoff at- it's 18/0/23 for operative and the "Iron Fist" PT hybrid (which will be a bit crap in 1.3 due to loss of 30% surge to rocket punch). I've toyed with a few vengeance/rage hybrids for jugg, not bad.

Otherwise for the most part, 31pt builds are much better off.

Iron Fist is not a hybrid. It is a PvP Tank spec.

Parakeet WAS the perfect true Hybrid.

The Maverick is a also a hybrid.