Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Regarding server queues

StephenReid

We've been through this and in recent pages. No and NO!

Because?...

I mean people are all going on about how they reroll 3 or 4 times. If you are willing to do that already you obviously don't care about which server you wanna be on.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its like this in a month or two, then yea, you have a valid point.

This is the first 12 hours of launch day and there are over 2 million people out there trying to play this game. This is inevitable with 2 million people. They couldn't get that many people into a stadium fast enough.

Has anybody ever been to a concert? You ever waited in line with the other 15 thousand people and had to WAIT!!!!??

When you're managing this many people, this will happen. Be patient, don't keep rerolling, it'll all be alright.

Stop this constant sub cancel threat.

The problem with that analogy is it's a one time event. There were queue's on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and today. It's not a good idea for BioWare to give their customers a reason to not want to play.

They said they are monitoring and we should expect queues for some time in the future. Means they are doing **** and they think it will fix itself.

"Expect queues in the future" could mean anything. He's basically saying there's no way to tell if the queue for every server will completely go away.

3-4 months after launch, WoW started to have queues again because of the surge of people coming in. Queues are a way of life for popular MMO's.

I can guarantee you that we're not going to have hour queues for very long.

Game crashes, log back in 2 minutes and 24 seconds later according to my phones stop watch and in an 1800+ person queue, which equals 4-5+ hours, that's 10pm tonight or later.

How is it possible that:

1.) there's no server transfer option despite the fact that this problem has existed and worsened for a week now.

2.) How is it possible not one person on the team thought 'Hey, you know what? We *need* to include a mechanic that doesn't force victims of crashes and disconnects back to the end of an absurd queue.'?

Stop people bypassing or abusing the auto-disconnect and you'll see a massive difference.

Increase the throughput and do some management of population, instead of telling people to deal with it on Twitter, and you'll see a massive difference.

Getting disconnected and then having to wait in a long-*** queue is not cool, many people took advantage of the tools provided by Bioware such as guild placement, and Early Access, these same people are getting screwed now due to poor planning and stingy server capacities. Considering that this game is instanced in all aspects, there is really very little reason for every server from Early Access to be Full with queues. Its unacceptable to expect customers to just "deal" with it, therefore, you'll see people take creative measures to avoid the queue.

Unless Bioware intends to prorate subscription costs by actual time played instead of time period, than they need to fix this, and fix it soon. Three to four hours at night of waiting is ill-conceived, and the reason that many people are displeased. Bioware knew their pre-order totals, they should have planned for a population of double that, and built their server and software architecture around that. I've paid for 3-months of service, I expect to access to the game when its not in temporary maintenance. Creating alts on other servers doesn't serve anyone a benefit, it only clutters up more servers, and leaves data-clutter and fragmentation in its wake.

Good thing you're not paying for it right now. And man, won't you feel like an *** if they announce free time to make up for this. It hasn't even been 24 hours and you all are acting like it's the end of the world. Christ all mighty kids, grow up.

It appears we do have a dev in our midst...................:D

"Expect queues in the future" could mean anything. He's basically saying there's no way to tell if the queue for every server will completely go away.

3-4 months after launch, WoW started to have queues again because of the surge of people coming in. Queues are a way of life for popular MMO's.

I can guarantee you that we're not going to have hour queues for very long.

I'm fine with 15 mins queues, not 3 hours ones.

It's been over a week, and every day the queues are getting longer as they add more players to the game. They've had ages to fix the issue, and all they've done is add more servers.

Annoying as hell when you create a character on a lower pop server, only to see it reach Full capacity as more players join, and your choice is to either endure the multiple hour waits, or re-roll on another server and waste dozens of hours getting back to where you were. Either way, Bioware are wasting our time by not dealing with this.

But hey, I get where you're coming from, I mean it's not like it's their job or anything... oh wait. YES IT IS.

I've never had a queue til today. I played over 50 hours in EGA, at varying times of day, on a server with possibly the largest Republic guild on it.

I think people are personalizing their problems to make them feel more global than they are.

Be patient, its launch day. Give it a week and if its still 3 hours to get in at any time of day then we have a problem.

Bioware can't do anything with this many people joining. They have to see who is actually here first, because any changes made now could be based on incorrect information.

I say again, over and over, if you have a solution name it. An actual solution and not something like 'do something'.

258 pages of this thread on the first one and over 300 on this thread should tell you how unhappy your customers are about the the queues.

Any queue over 20 to 30 min is unacceptable. And after waiting 2 to 3 hours in a queue of 755 to play for 30 min and then get kicked off the server and have to go back and start over is in an even longer queue is outrageous. No wonder so many people do not want to log out to go eat a meal.

How can i convince friends to buy the game if the queue for them to play on the same server is that high.

1. I agree that guilds need the option of being able to transfer their members and friends to other new severs.

2. I agree that there should be a grace period to move you up in the queue if you just got kicked off that server or like us blew a fuse from too many lighted christmas decorations in the house or go to get a bite to eat.

3. Also there needs to be a way of filtering the order of the servers so that you will automatically be loaded into your favorite not the last one you played or the the one that you have the most characters on.

It's just as frustrating to log in and find that EA has put me into one of my flagged servers that i didnt want to play in that day.

Eleanna, Ellana, Ellara, Elyra

Edited by Eleanna

And what if the issue is to just leave it alone? You ever consider that? You ever consider that any possible 'fixes' are merely short term things that will actually not be beneficial in the long run?

Its hard for people to believe apparently, but there are times when doing nothing is the best idea. There is no magic solution to help 2 million people figure out how to log into servers without being idiots and actually not joining full ones and re rolling like nubheads.

If you think there's a solution name one, and I'm pretty sure if you can think of one i can think of a reason why it would not help.

Completely Agree with this post, it would be nice to know what Bioware are doing about this, but they are hardly going to ignore the issue.

I'm fine with 15 mins queues, not 3 hours ones.

That's most likely what we're going to be seeing in a week, maybe even days. I know for a fact the servers are capped very low atm, and for whatever reason that is, they will increase them if the queues are too long.

Why aren't they doing it right now? I don't know.

oh yes, it's absolutely customers fault

they not patience

bad bad people

ruining prefect game

and dev's of course can't absolutely do nothing about it

they crying in their dark datacenter rooms and screaming because bad peoples made all of this queues just, you know, to roleplay IVIL ZITH

brilliant logic

It appears we do have a dev in our midst...................:D

Yeah right, I'd be fired if that were true. I've just been playing MMOs since EQ and been through more than enough launches to know how this works. I'm not disagreeing the queues are a huge problem, or that there should be a grace period for people disconnected, or that they should have more of a community response vocalizing what they are doing.

I do however expect they are busting there asses right now, and that they are working on some kind of reinbursement for players. Why? Because this is what happened with WoW. At launch, and every *********** expansion pack they released. Hell people, most major patches (non expansions) resulted in 20 hours of unexecpted downtime. And that was 4 years after WoW had been launched. This **** doesn't happen flawlessly when you have over a million subscribers on launch day.

I honestly think that BW/EA is missing one tiny, but extremely important point: people are ALWAYS tend to join their friends, rather than settle at the unoccupied instances. Extrapolating this theory towards SWTOR situation, I can clearly see that post-20-December buyers are having far better conditions, that people who pre-ordered, since they're not tied to certain server their friends chose from the start.

Free and unlimited character transfer should be opened pre-ASAP, such thing is really a must.

I can see the queue times being hard to "guess” We’re not waiting a certain amount of time to login, we’re waiting for someone else to logout or DC and hop on in their place.

I don’t agree that adding more servers will help with our current queue times on these full servers.

Every EGA server is full, guilds were placed on these servers with the expectation that more people will be joining their friends and guilds already established servers when the game releases, aka today.

Nobody would be complaining if BW would raise the number of instanced planets instead of adding new servers.

12:01 est, the servers opened up and everything was showing light for a few mins. How were these "new" people supposed to know if the server was full on a normal basis?

I got up a bit early to hop on and beat the que which usually gets crazy around 4pm+, 25 min que right now this early? So I guess the new servers definetly attracted people. I know what you may think, but I am level 35, I am not about to go to a different server.

I wish people that had characters over 30 would have priority in que to piss off all the lower levels and eventually making them leave the server. That would make me sooo happy :3

I have played quite a lot during early release. Some times I had to queue a while, but today I have not been able to get in game at all. I am put in queue only to receive an error message that puts me back to the start. On the whole I have been impressed by the launch, but I am beginning to suspect that these error messages are a way to reduce the queues.

258 pages of this thread on the first one and over 300 on this thread should tell you how unhappy your customers are about the the queues.

Spurious logic. Its well known that only the vocal minority of angry people complain on message boards. People who aren't unhappy are either making breakfast while they check the queues or are in here firing anti-QQ missiles at people like you.

So really not all of this thread is unhappiness with BW. Its me being unhappy with you lot for not having any common sense or patience.

That's most likely what we're going to be seeing in a week, maybe even days. I know for a fact the servers are capped very low atm, and for whatever reason that is, they will increase them if the queues are too long.

Why aren't they doing it right now? I don't know.

Maybe because its only about half way through Launch day? Its better to take a wait and see and longer view on these things than react to soon.

Patience and perspective, is whats needed to get through launch day. MMO vets know this, new players well I would never suggest them to start playing on launch day.