New player needs help

PixelButcher

Deciding which class to play. I'm going to be Duoing with a friend and our main focus is PvP and I'm having trouble deciding which class to play mainly because I don't know what classes do what. He's playing a sentinel and I was looking at commando but I read on the commando forum that they are total garbage... I'm into either supporting or DPSing, I like guns but sabers are cool too. I was looking at Jedi shadow, gunslinger(the cover mechanic was weird for me) and commando any ideas/input thanks for the help.

The recruit vendor is by their class pvp equipment vendor in the combat hall.

Also, while leveling, try to do a few warzones. I would try to obtain 2000 warzone comms along with 1500 ranked warzone comms before turning 50.

At 50, buy a bm weapon and a war hero ear piece with surge. This will make you more competitive.

The recruit vendor is by their class pvp equipment vendor in the combat hall.

Also, while leveling, try to do a few warzones. I would try to obtain 2000 warzone comms along with 1500 ranked warzone comms before turning 50.

At 50, buy a bm weapon and a war hero ear piece with surge. This will make you more competitive.

That has absolutely nothing to do with what OP is asking

OP By picking out these 2 classes i assume you want to be ranged

Commandos are good enough at support if you know how to use them and i really enjoy playing mine sometimes but it doesn't hold up well agains a lot of other classes and if a melee gets to you you're pretty much screwed if you can't kite them properly however since you are playing with a friend the commando might be good because it can off heal too, although usually if another person sees you healing that will essentially (and sometimes literally) put a big target over you and the other team will come after you hard

However at the moment in warzones Gunslingers seem to be doing a lot better especially against classes like the Sentinal/Marauder (which are one of the most annoying to fight at the moment). Since the cover means that melee classes can't jump on them and other tanking classes can't pull them you can dps them down as they run towards you. i'm not too sure how they would fair in a team environment as top be honest i have never played the class but i would assume that you could dps the hell out of them from afar while your friend takes them on

It all really depends on your playstyle you will get used to playing either of them and both really require you to play as a stationary turret to maximise damage

And if the cover thing is annoying you because you have to press a key to get into cover an easier way to use cover is by clicking your mouse wheel as that is a default, and extremely handy way of getting into cover for Gunslingers

Edited by irishtim

My recommendation would be to wait for the game to go free to play. The pvp you are being presented with is NOT worth the $15 you are going to pay for it. In the end it doesn't matter which class you pick due to this game revolving almost entirely around gear. While you don't have it you won't be effective. When you do you will be effective against those who dont. The rest is paper rock scissors and is the perfect representation of an old pvp model that doesn't work for people who actually like pvp and not getting new purples.

The game is a joke. Treat it as such and the next few months of your life will be much more enjoyable.

You mentioned commando and gunslinger so I guess you're interested in a range class. But I would sugguest a Vanguard. It plays like a melee/ranged hybrid, which sounds bad but its kinda fluid with the abiilites, I think you'd like it. Plus as a Vanguard you can spec tank and be easier to run some flashpoints/+4 quests/etc.