New laptop ordered.

Zekim

Ok, just ordered an Alienware M14X R2. Bumped the RAM to 12G and opted for the 500G + 64G solid state drive. Using it for this game (and I'm sure plenty others) and college. Anyone have one? Similar model? How's it do with TOR and for that matter, other games?

I have an Asus G74Sx I7 with 8 gb of ram and a tb of hd space. I run a Nvidia Gefrce 560m 2gb and I run swtor at max settings flawlessly at all times. So if your anywhere at my level(which Im sure u are if not above) you should have no problems at all.

I went a little over the top on mine, I have an Alienware M18X (Core i7, 16GB RAM - would let me downgrade to 8 on the custom build options - and dual nVidia GTX460M 1.5GB SLi). Game runs quite awesome, although there's no visible performance difference if I'm using only one or both video cards.

Eurocom Panther > Alienware :D

Anything > Alienware lol. Its the "Apple" of PCs: overpriced and mediocre. Yes, its a luxury line for Dell, but you can build much better for much cheaper. You are basically paying for the name.

If I didn't need portability, I'd have gone 17 or 18 on it. But that's just a beating to carry back and forth to classes.

Yeah, I hear you there. It's definitely a pain to cart around, but it doesn't move out of my apt very often. I could have gone desktop, I just wanted the portability for the occasional times that I would want to bring it with me if I was visiting my parents or the inlaws (both of which are a fair distance out of town where I live, so it's never a "quick" visit).

Anything > Alienware lol. Its the "Apple" of PCs: overpriced and mediocre. Yes, its a luxury line for Dell, but you can build much better for much cheaper. You are basically paying for the name.

Apple of PC's lol. Yeah it's true, all your paying for is an overpriced sticker or plastic mould, bit of software and the statement of *more money than sense*. Although I wouldn't mind one :rolleyes:

Anything > Alienware lol. Its the "Apple" of PCs: overpriced and mediocre. Yes, its a luxury line for Dell, but you can build much better for much cheaper. You are basically paying for the name.[/QUOTe]

Not everyone wants to build their own laptop, and if you are not building a laptop then an alienware is more than fine for gaming. They are overpriced, and are made by Dell. But I got one for CS6 from work and its wonderful.

Ok, just ordered an Alienware M14X R2. Bumped the RAM to 12G and opted for the 500G + 64G solid state drive. Using it for this game (and I'm sure plenty others) and college. Anyone have one? Similar model? How's it do with TOR and for that matter, other games?

An excellent choice! I ordered the m14x R1 when SWTOR came out and I've been playing on very high (PTS) with bloom off and shadows on low. I get a minimum of 40 FPS and a maximum of 60 FPS. I'm not picky with FPS, so it plays great for me.

As for other games I've noticed that they typically run much better than SWTOR. :p Mass Effect 3, for example, runs smooth with EVERYTHING maxed out.

Also, I have the R1 so, with the R2 expect to go beyond what I get. I think you'll be very happy. Congratulations!

An excellent choice! I ordered the m14x R1 when SWTOR came out and I've been playing on very high (PTS) with bloom off and shadows on low. I get a minimum of 40 FPS and a maximum of 60 FPS. I'm not picky with FPS, so it plays great for me.

As for other games I've noticed that they typically run much better than SWTOR. :p Mass Effect 3, for example, runs smooth with EVERYTHING maxed out.

Also, I have the R1 so, with the R2 expect to go beyond what I get. I think you'll be very happy. Congratulations!

I would also recommend getting a laptop cooler with two fans located more on the backside. It's a laptop, so it gets very hot.

Alienwares are not overpriced if you know where to shop. I bought from Amazon a $500 M11x R1 and everygame I play is either maxed out at high or close to it with the exception of battlefield 3. SWTOR is maxed out and runs great. The trick is to always stay a generation behind.

In my opinion game graphics are about to hit a plateau. That means any improvements in graphics will mostly be unnecessary and even unnoticeable. So getting the most advanced laptop to keep current with graphics performance isn't that necessary anymore.

Edited by Piratekinq

I would also recommend getting a laptop cooler with two fans located more on the backside. It's a laptop, so it gets very hot.

No don't do that. I don't have any data but I think that laptop coolers actually cause overheating problems if you stop using it. I think it throws off some sensor. If your laptop does not currently have an overheating problem then do not get a cooler, instead get a can of compressed air.

You are not doing something right. My M11x R1 should be technically worse than your m14x but I max out all of my settings. Maybe its because I'm using Windows 8 which is supposed to be a lighter and more efficient OS. Go get it, its free,

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.