The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Flame Sweep and Heat Screen Suggestion

Rischardo

1.3 looks to be a great patch for tanks and aggro generation. However, if we are going to be able to hold threat better (especially AoE threat), it would also make sense that Shield techs can fully utilize all of our defensive talents in an AoE situation.

As it stands, it looks like Flame Sweep will become more common in our tanking "rotations". The only issue is that Flame Sweep doesn't generate any Heat Screen (+2% absorb) stacks. While 8% absorb isn't a ton, Shieldtechs need as many defensive stats as we can get in an AoE tanking situation. My suggestion is to simply add Flame Sweep to the list of abilities that generate Heat Screen. Maybe the best way to do this (so that Shieldtechs aren't building stacks of heat screen while waiting for a pull) is to give heat screen a 20% chance to proc for every target Flamesweep hits.

I don't think my suggestion is too out there seeing how Flame Sweep generates Prototype Flamethrower stacks for AP Powertechs.

I dont see flame sweep being "part" of a rotation. It will mainly be used after a jet charge. PTs never had threat issues with single or aoe, I dont know what that buff is all about. It's nice to get buffed, and I am not complaining, but I would have rather seen a different type of buff; one that would actually make a difference in PvP as well. Edited by Agooz

The problem with threat was multiplying. Good tanks didn't have many issues, but soon that would change if they didn't change the threat modifiers. If you look at logs, a good dps has a nice string of crit rng, and they overtake the tank pretty easily. Most notably at the beginning of several fights, say 20 secs in with Bloodthirst and every cd rolling.

Because BW loves tank switch fights, taunts were typically saved for those switches.

Moving on, flame sweep will not be part of any tank priority rotation except after the jet charge. Flame shield was a 14% nerf to Rocket Punch and Flame Sweep. Sweep while free after a charge is the only time we will be using it, except for adds. 25 heat, ridiculous.

Alright, maybe saying rotation was the incorrect word. I do think that Shieldtechs will nevertheless be using Flame Sweep much more often in 1.3 than in live. With the new changes, Flame Sweep can be useful even in a single target situation as a free flame sweep does more damage than rapid shots. I find myself using Jet Boost fairly often in Denova given all the switches/movement required in that Ops.

Anyways, that's besides the point. The main point is that I think it's weird that Bioware gives us a way to hold AoE threat better, but if we utilize it, it slows down how fast we get to a full stack of Heat Screen. It's not a major issue and it definitely won't break Powertech tanking, but better AoE threat means more incoming damage to the Shield tech despite the fact that it takes longer to get our full defenses up.

i agree, that flame Sweep should build up one stack of heat screen if it hits atleast one enemy.

This should not allowing abusing of this ability (out of combat shielding), but allow us to build up our defense right from the start when tanking packs of mobs.

Alright, maybe saying rotation was the incorrect word. I do think that Shieldtechs will nevertheless be using Flame Sweep much more often in 1.3 than in live. With the new changes, Flame Sweep can be useful even in a single target situation as a free flame sweep does more damage than rapid shots. I find myself using Jet Boost fairly often in Denova given all the switches/movement required in that Ops.

I agree, but that is and should always be the challenge of a Tank; managing threat. To tweak the class so that threat never becomes even an issue is more along the line of dumbing the encounter, not enhancing a class. And like I said, I never found PTs to be lacking in PvE. But they are certainly lacking in PvP, which this patch does nothing to address. In fact it probably will make them even less playable.

Unless something has changed, flame shield drops the bonus to rocket punch entirely in 1.3. So -30% for RP and -14% for FS.

Are you even looking at the right talent? From patch Notes:

Flame Shield: The critical chance bonus applied to Rocket Punch and Flame Sweep has been reduced to 8% per point. 2 point talent.

Current Flame Shield: Increases the critical chance of Rocket Punch and Flame Sweep by [15 / 30]%. In addition, shielding an attack has a [25 / 50]% chance to finish the cooldown on Rocket Punch. This effect cannot occur more than once every 4.5 seconds.

So if you put 2 points into it (duh) it was a 30% chance to crit for RP and FS. On PTS it is 8/16. 30-16=14. 14% nerf to the crit chance bonus for both, which is what I said before.

Are you even looking at the right talent? From patch Notes:

Flame Shield: The critical chance bonus applied to Rocket Punch and Flame Sweep has been reduced to 8% per point. 2 point talent.

Current Flame Shield: Increases the critical chance of Rocket Punch and Flame Sweep by [15 / 30]%. In addition, shielding an attack has a [25 / 50]% chance to finish the cooldown on Rocket Punch. This effect cannot occur more than once every 4.5 seconds.

So if you put 2 points into it (duh) it was a 30% chance to crit for RP and FS. On PTS it is 8/16. 30-16=14. 14% nerf to the crit chance bonus for both, which is what I said before.

Whoops, sorry, yeah I was thinking of the damage bonus of Flame Surge, not Flame Shield.