Leveling Rotation?

LibertySol

Hey all I'm 17 right now and was wondering what I should do for my rotation while leveling? As of now I usually just open with Ambush and then snipe till I can takedownd with occasional grenades. I use the melee attacks if something gets into range. And I laze if something is strong.

Anything else I should be using? Leg Shot, Corrosive Dart, and Overload Shot don't really get used. The DoT is useless against trash leveling mobs, leg shot seems to be more a PvP thing, and Overload Shot is weaker than Snipe.

Anything I should do differently? Also the next 4 skills are Entrench, Suppressive Fire, Shatter Shot, and Series of Shots. How should I fit those into my rotation?

Just to note I'm playing Marksman.

Edited by LibertySol

You need to go ambush first then go directly into Corrosive dart, then possibly Frag Grenade. You won't be casting snipes too much.

Entrrench is mostly a PvP skill/Any time in PvE when you know a stun, KB, or other controlling effect is coming. Suppresive Fire is a pretty bad AoE by most people's standards, but I find it's good for cleaning up trash (Like weaks, not even standards) after a frag grenade. Shatter Shot will be used in longer fights. I never really used it (It WILL interfere with you casting Ambush first, and you shouldn't really be casting ambush on a 2.5 second activation time if you're MM, but I guess you're lethality...

Series of Shots will be as core as Ambush. Most people don't use it, but it does moar damage than Ambush at only .5 seconds and moar DPS and DPE than snipe. For MM and eng it's core, for lethality it really isn't, considering lethality uses a whole new set of abilities. You should be placing Corrossive darts on people.

You're playing a sustained damage spec. You don't really kill that fast, but you're always dishing out some form of damage. If you don't like using Corrosive Dart and Corrisive Grenade, you probably enjoy burst more than sustained. Lethality is pretty bursty but only in the sense that it can put up a ton of damage within a range of 2 gcds (more damage in more time if you're operative). It's not bursty in the sense that you have to set up this burst.

If you really want to kill things quickly, I suggest going Eng for levels 10-30 and then choosing from MM to Lethality. Lethality will be pretty energy intensive having to put Corrosive dart on people, and MM will have a really nice instant not to mention lowered ambush cast times and insta snipes.

You sound like you're in the low 20s right now.

Hey all I'm 17 right now and was wondering what I should do for my rotation while leveling? As of now I usually just open with Ambush and then snipe till I can takedownd with occasional grenades. I use the melee attacks if something gets into range. And I laze if something is strong.

Anything else I should be using? Leg Shot, Corrosive Dart, and Overload Shot don't really get used. The DoT is useless against trash leveling mobs, leg shot seems to be more a PvP thing, and Overload Shot is weaker than Snipe.

Anything I should do differently? Also the next 4 skills are Entrench, Suppressive Fire, Shatter Shot, and Series of Shots. How should I fit those into my rotation?

It depends on your spec which you don't mention.

In general, for marksman you can either open with laze+snipe into ambush or ambush. Either way, the goal is to dish early damage w/o having to wait 2.5s for ambush while being shot at. Then explosive probe and SoS. Followthrough and takedown every time they're available.

Overload shot is basically useless after around L10. It's weak and has terrible energy efficiency.

For Engineering, I typically started with ambush and liberal use of grenades against normals. The explosive probe/cluster bombs+SoS combo also works well. Int probe I typically put on a strong or higher early in the fight. Near end game, I used to open orbital strike + grenades w/ SoS and exp probe thrown in against packs.

It's hard to really put together a firm rotation for leveling as you never really get into a groove as your frequently switching targets as they die. The best skills also change a lot depending on your level (e.g., overload shot is vital at L6 but absolute garbage/waste of space by L30).

What companion and how you use them will also make a big difference (e.g., Temple on AOE mode means you're also in AOE mode to complement each other, Lokin means you need to kill everything yourself but are fairly safe, a single target DPS/tank companion means you can ignore one of the mobs while they finish it)

Edited by Infalliable

Laze Target -> Snipe -> Ambush (1.5s) -> Spam Explosive Probe

If you don't have Laze ready you might consider opening with Ambush and using instant Snipe after.

Early on you might have to use your default attack occasionally to keep energy up. Remember to use your energy regen probe often.

I prefer to AoE when possible, so I spread my damage around. Typically I'll use some instant openers then do a Suppressive Fire if I can hit 3+ at once. Frag grenade has a knockback + knockdown against normal mobs in addition to AoE so use that liberally as well.

Once you get Followthrough you really start to tear through stuff.

So for a pack of 3-4 mobs I might typically do:

Cover-Instant Snipe (mob 1)

Followthrough (mob 2)

Frag grenade (melee mob 3)

Suppressive fire them all

Snipe/Takedown/Frag grenade to clean up

Use your execute liberally and ambush / series of shots only on guys 50% health +.

I'll sometimes use legshot or even flashbang or frag grenade to keep mobs grouped for a Suppressive Fire.

If you want to be super-efficient it's all about switching targets, knowing when to prioritize AoE and using your big abilities on high HP mobs.

dont know why people are saying dont use snipe and yet say use corrosive darts.

While leveling you kill things so fast, darts dont even get used except against gold mobs.

Corrosive dart is a staple power for lethality. Now, I wouldn't use lethality to level, but corrosive is still central to its rotation.

For the other 2 specs, corrosive dart is really only useful for elites. Strong it's okay for

Corrosive dart is a staple power for lethality. Now, I wouldn't use lethality to level, but corrosive is still central to its rotation.

For the other 2 specs, corrosive dart is really only useful for elites. Strong it's okay for

yea but he said he's 17 and MM.