[ Space Combat ] - dont play it if you dont like it

PandaMonk

I seem to remember saying this before, but, in my opinion, the problem with SWTOR space combat isn't that it's 'bad', per se - it's actually a nice, fun little minigame. The problem is, it shouldn't be just a nice, fun little minigame. Space, and space combat, are some of the most pivotal and epic parts of Star Wars canon, so to reduce that to simply a little minigame doesn't do it justice. Speaking personally, I only bother with it if I'm killing time waiting on companions coming back from missions.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading the Q&A,

and according to the logic seen there, it seems to me that Bioware applies this reasoning regarding the subject of space combat:

Since "the metrics" are showing that a lot of people are playing space combat as it currently stands,

that means that space combat is not to be redesigned or modified/improved.

Rather, it will be expanded to more missions with the same current design.

QUOTE]

This is just unbelievable. Are BW just sleepwalking from one bad decision to another. The space game sucks, there I said it. Yes, it's fine for those who like mini-games as a diversion from questing or FP's but it doesn't even deserve to have the Star Wars name attached to it. A basic shooter on rails does a great disservice to the SW IP.

I don't play the space game, I gave it many fair attempts but it always ended in me frustrated by the lack of freedom. I mean come on I can't even move my ship where I want. If Bioware continue down this road by just adding more missions they will lose even more subs. Basically I am holding out for a true space experience in this game, I know many others are also.

Edited by Cordelia

I seem to remember saying this before, but, in my opinion, the problem with SWTOR space combat isn't that it's 'bad', per se - it's actually a nice, fun little minigame. The problem is, it shouldn't be just a nice, fun little minigame. Space, and space combat, are some of the most pivotal and epic parts of Star Wars canon, so to reduce that to simply a little minigame doesn't do it justice. Speaking personally, I only bother with it if I'm killing time waiting on companions coming back from missions.

This is it precisely.

I have a feeling that the "big new thing" they can't talk about yet will be multiplayer crew stations... on yet another rails mission.

Some people like rail shooters. Some people also like Plants vs. Zombies. The other big MMO actually added a PvZ minigame last xpac. They had the good sense not to trumpet it as a major new feature, however. :)

Reading the Q&A,

and according to the logic seen there, it seems to me that Bioware applies this reasoning regarding the subject of space combat:

Since "the metrics" are showing that a lot of people are playing space combat as it currently stands,

that means that space combat is not to be redesigned or modified/improved.

Rather, it will be expanded to more missions with the same current design.

If you think this you must never read dev blogs or interviews. While they are continuing to develop the current on rails space, they also have a long term space project that is totally different, and other then their existence they aren't talking about it. Most assume this is free-flight space, which we already know can be done in the Hero engine.

I have a feeling that the "big new thing" they can't talk about yet will be multiplayer crew stations... on yet another rails mission.

Some people like rail shooters. Some people also like Plants vs. Zombies. The other big MMO actually added a PvZ minigame last xpac. They had the good sense not to trumpet it as a major new feature, however. :)

Seems plausible. It just doesn't make any sense to me that they'd spend development resources churning out a new on-rails space mission if they were planning to change the whole system anyway. My bet is that the grand and overly-hyped "significant" change to space combat will exist within the framework of the current game.

I do all the space missions every day. I do not enjoy them. I need the Grade 8 crafting materials, and space missions gets me a box every 2 days to supplement the ones I'm lucky enough to win in ops.

Seems plausible. It just doesn't make any sense to me that they'd spend development resources churning out a new on-rails space mission if they were planning to change the whole system anyway. My bet is that the grand and overly-hyped "significant" change to space combat will exist within the framework of the current game.

I agree, I don't think they are planning to redo space combat, I don't think they can. They don't think players can handle free-roam and adding real space content would be a massive undertaking for their depleted studio. So - an opportunity lost.

Edited by Karquile