The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Sorcerer spec CHANGES!

TwitchWINs

Quick thread HELP OUT BUMP IT! some changes i would love to see in the future for sorcerer Not OP just stuff that needs to be done.

Lightning tree

1. Thundering Blast and Polarity Shift swap places in the tree Thundering Blast no changes Polarity Shift "Your connection to the force shifts, Granting 20% alacrity and the first spell cast within 10 seconds becomes instant"

.2 Lightning storm "Your Lightning Strike grants you Lightning Storm stacking up to 4 times and reducing the activation time and force cost of your next Chain Lightning by 25% per stack"(This would fix some RNG)

With madness the way i see it now plays very well high damage decent burst when needed great mobility just has a lot of problems with force and consumption

Madness tree

1. Dark Resilience and Sith Defiance swap places(quality of life change for both corruption and madness as both specs for pvp/pve can go a few points in madness)

2. Paralyzes the target in fear, Immobilizing it for 2 sec and dealing Internal damage that slowly destroys the target, causing 854 damage over 18 sec. In addition, if the Creeping Terror is dispelled it will cause 1698 damage to the dispeller and silence them for 2-4 sec. Only one Creeping Terror per sorcerer can be active on any one target.

Just quick thoughts about some changes which i would like to see in the near future which i doubt i will but what the heck might aswell say em :). Mostly just quality of life changes and 2 major skill changes which i believe is much needed!

I like the changes for the lightning tree, but I'm not with you on the changes to madness.

Rather than seeing any change to Madness, what I'd rather see is this...

#1 Remove Electric Bindings from the game.

#2 Fix Lightning Barrage so it can no longer be "double dipped"

#3 In place of Electric Bindings on the Lightning Tree a new ability with the prerequisite of Lightning Barrage be added. This ability functions the same as a "double dip" by extending the duration of Force Lightning by 75%.

#4 Overload - Knocks back all enemies within 8 meters and immobilizes them for 5 secs. Damage dealt after 2 secs ends the effect prematurely.

#5 Force Slow - Slows the targets movement speed by 80% for 6 secs.

Edited by whattt

.2 Lightning storm "Your Lightning Strike grants you Lightning Storm stacking up to 4 times and reducing the activation time and force cost of your next Chain Lightning by 25% per stack"(This would fix some RNG)

This actually means that anything more than 3 stacks is a DPS loss, as instacast effect have a unwavering 1.5 second GCD, but hasted cast-time effects have a GCD equal to their cast time, if under 1.5 seconds. 3 stacks would give you an 0.75 second base cast time, further modified by Alacrity, with an equal GCD. If you stack to 4, you get to cast instantly, but the GCD suddenly takes 2+ times as long as it would have at 3.

And honestly, RNG isn't a bad thing. It keeps the system from becoming a mindless static rotation. The issue is that Lightning has too much to keep track of. Either Crushing Darkness or Force Lightning need to be removed from the Lightning rotation (or possibly both). This can easily be done in both cases, without changing other specs much at all. In addition, either FL needs a damage nerf (with a corresponding change in one of the T5+ skills in Madness to boost it back up for that spec), or Lightning Strike needs a boost. In fact, the following change would do just that:

Reduce Crushing Darkness's duration to 4 seconds baseline. Remove Crushing Darkness from Convection. Double the duration benefit from Lingering Nightmares (so it increases the duration by 2/4 seconds instead of 1/2), and add to it "also increases Crushing Darkness damage by 3%/6%". Now increase Lightning Strike's damage by 16%. Alter Wrath to remove the Force cost of the ability in addition to boost its damage and removing its cast time.

This accomplishes three things. First, it remove Crushing Darkness from Lightning's rotation, and makes Force Lightning outside of Barrage procs no longer a dps increase, reducing Lightning's complexity. Second, it makes Lightning Strike a justified use of Wrath (though it's still only about an 8% increase in DPCT over Force Lightning). Third, it does this without altering the relative balance of DPS between the specs (a 16% boost to Lightning Strike will contribute almost precisely the same amount of damage to Lightning as Crushing Darkness did, accounting for the fact that those CD casts would instead be 1.33 LS casts), or altering Madness much at all (except by making Madness actually force-neutral).

Nitty gritty math:

Crushing Darkness is currently right at 16% of Lightning's damage. Lightning Strike is about 22.5%. Removing CD from the system would also open up all of the casts of CD to LS casts instead (except LS has 75% the cast time of CD). LS's damage per execution is almost exactly half that of Crushing Darkness. Thus of the 16% damage occupied by CD, replacing all of those casts with LS would result in 50% * (1 / 75%) = 66.7% of the original damage. This means that removing CD would be a net total of a 16% * (1 - 0.667) = 5.333% DPS loss. LS at this point would be doing 22.5% + 16% * 0.667 = 33.2% of the total damage. We need it to instead be doing 33.2% + 5.33% = 38.5%. This requires a 38.5% / 33.2% = 1.15954 = 16% increase in damage to offset the loss of Crushing Darkness.

This is also good, as we need at least an 8% increase in LS's damage to make it even worth considering casting over FL on a Wrath proc for Madness (at 8%, FL and Wrath LS would have equal DPCTs at 7.5% activation speed (about 230 Alacrity rating). 16% would make it actually worth casting, except that Madness is already force-negative, and LS costs twice as much per GCD to cast as FL does. With Wrath LS being useful, Madness would use around 8 Wrath procs per minute (4 on CD, 4 on LS). This would save Madness 160 Force per minute from the removal of CD's cost, and 4 times the net difference between half an FL and a free LS. FL has an effective cost of 6 Force per cast due to Sith Efficacy, so saving half an FL would be 3 force. Thus Madness would see a reduction in Force cost of 176 per minute, or an effective increase in regen of 2.933 Force per second. This would make Madness Force-positive by about twice as much as its force-negative right now, putting it on level with Lightning's efficiency.

This would put all 3 specs within half a percent of each other on damage, all of the force-efficient enough to justify on long fights, and all of them of relatively comparable complexity (though combining Madness and Hybrid builds by moving Lightning Barrage lower in Lightning would do better in that regard. Different discussion). Sounds like a pretty solid setup to me.

Edit: In retrospect, another option similar to your first suggestion (that would still work with the above changes) to reduce RNG would be to alter Lightning Barrage to:

"When your Affliction deals damage, you gain a stack of Lightning Barrage, reducing the cast time of your next Force Lightning by 10%. Stacks up to 5 times. You cannot gain more than 1 stack per 1.0 seconds."

Single-DoTing would give a hasted Barrage once every 18 seconds (currently, it varies between 17.5 and 20 seconds average proc interval depending on crit chance) for a single Affliction. 2 Afflictions on separate targets would double the proc rate, boosting the interval to about 10.5 seconds (just over the minimum in the current implementation).

Edited by Daellia

c and dealing Internal damage that slowly destroys the target, causing 854 damage over 18 sec. In addition, if the Creeping Terror is dispelled it will cause 1698 damage to the dispeller and silence them for 2-4 sec. Only one Creeping Terror per sorcerer can be active on any one target.

Your suggestion here would effectively make 31 Madness unusable in an operation environment where you have mutliple DPS Sorcerers.

Your suggestion here would effectively make 31 Madness unusable in an operation environment where you have mutliple DPS Sorcerers.

No it wouldn't. That was "only one CT per sorcerer on any one target". It would restrict it from being used to multi-DoT (which would still be an operation nerf), not hurt multi-Sorc operations.

No it wouldn't. That was "only one CT per sorcerer on any one target". It would restrict it from being used to multi-DoT (which would still be an operation nerf), not hurt multi-Sorc operations.

Ty Daellia that's exactly what i meant you just corrected me faster haha :) cheers