New 50: How do I go about gearing?

Did a few searches and scrolled through the first 10 pages for a similar topic to no avail. I'd love to see a section like this added to some of the already fantastic guides out there, and don't mind authoring it myself.

I'm just about to hit 50 and was wondering how to go about getting ready for some 8-man action; so here is a flurry of questions that I just haven't been able to find solid answers for:

What Flashpoints will I need to be running to gear up? Is it a drop based system or a token based system? Can I viably run them in fresh 50 gear?

Are there dailies worth doing for gear? And where are they located?

Is it worthwhile to seek out crafted gear at this stage or will it be outdated quickly by running Flashpoints?

Thanks in advance for any input; I've really enjoyed leveling and am excited about getting myself ready for 8-man.

~Biggs

You click on the link for the Flashpoints, Operations and heroic missions forums, and then click the sticky at the top of the page that says Sticky: [Guide] 1.2 Dailies and PvE Gearing or if you want PVP go to the pvp forum

Depends on how you play, really. I did a LOT of PVP when I hit 50, and that gear is a good start for doing hardmodes (even if it was just Champion at the time). If that's not your bag, you can do a few things, depending on how well you're geared right now. For regular flashpoints, there's Kaon Under Siege and Red Reaper, to catch you up to entry level 50 gear. Hardmode Black Talon isn't much harder than those, and that'll start you getting Tionese crystals and Columi commendations. For nice mods and, after you're modded up, your Rakata earpiece and implants, do dailies. There are like 5 on Ilum that are quick and easy, a ton on Belsavis, and some harder ones on Corellia. For Belsavis, you'll start running into them when you get the Belsavis Bonus Series.

Once you get at least a little purple on you, start working up the Hardmode chain. Boarding Party, Foundry. Directive 7 HM is kinda hard (the boss is impossible if people aren't on their toes), and Lost Island HM is friggin' rough. You'll want to run those two regular mode first, while you're working on the lower HMs.

As for when you can do ops.. depends on your guild. What they need, how desperate they are, skill level, etc.

Hardmode drops, for your reference.

Sinsavz: Yes PvE was really what I'm planning to do, but it does sound like I can work on PvP gearing when I can't find a group. That is encouraging.

TankStig: Great resource man, thanks a bunch. Bit of a bonehead, didn't think to look there.

ManiacalShen: And now all my questions are answered, thanks a ton man that was exactly what I wanted to know!

i'd listen to those post up there ^^^. all good info, especially the HM drops.

just do HM's till u full columbine gear, run dailies for comms relic/jewelry, and craft/buy shizzle.

you can gear out in < week, easily...

Edited by T-Assassin

you can get away with only using 2 actual set peices for the crit bonus and thats it. the extra slot for the augmented crafted gear is worth it. you should have your aim,end,cunning,blue datacrons done. save up the 200 dailies for the relic, and use the blue matrix cube.

For PvE, all you really have to do is just run your dailies and/or buy lvl 49 pruple armorings/mods/enhancements and you can pretty much start off right in normal EV. FP's help to get that extra piece of gear here and there, but it seems that how they set things up you don't really need to do FP's at all to get yourself into the initial Operation.

Good idea if your gear isnt all lvl 50, buy recruit gear. It's close in terms of stats to the modded out gear without augments. After that find a good group of people and start running some flashpoints. While it's not neccesary, it helps you figure out rotations and makes you more aware as a player.

Also, as a merc, the best thing you can do is get a 2-piece set bonus, the extra crit on tracers helps with your heat management and the 4-piece free rail shot is nice too. The easiest flashpoints to do to get these items would be boarding party and foundry. Black Talon is the easiest, but it only drops columi bracers.

Also, if you are armormech, crit craft your rakata belt and bracers for the augment slot. I would save any daily coms for buying your rakata implants and earpiece. You can get all the mods you need once a day by doing the daily heroics.

Good idea if your gear isnt all lvl 50, buy recruit gear. It's close in terms of stats to the modded out gear without augments. After that find a good group of people and start running some flashpoints. While it's not neccesary, it helps you figure out rotations and makes you more aware as a player.

Also, as a merc, the best thing you can do is get a 2-piece set bonus, the extra crit on tracers helps with your heat management and the 4-piece free rail shot is nice too. The easiest flashpoints to do to get these items would be boarding party and foundry. Black Talon is the easiest, but it only drops columi bracers.

Also, if you are armormech, crit craft your rakata belt and bracers for the augment slot. I would save any daily coms for buying your rakata implants and earpiece. You can get all the mods you need once a day by doing the daily heroics.

Really good ideas here to follow. I'd definitely take the recruit gear advice in the way of Relics. 25k credits and you can get the champ ones (columi equiv). The 2 piece (if you're running arsenal) is great, but with the way they dropped the price of Tionese gear, you can pretty much run BT 3-4 times and buy 2 pieces (would recommend gloves/boots). To piggy back on his armormech comment, crit proc yourself a pair of Orange pants and you'll never get rid of them. All you'll ever have to do is swap mods.

Are the craftable bracers and belt only for armormechs? Or can my buddy make them for me? I'm actually doing biochem.

The Rakata ones yes. They do drop in HM's though. Pick up an Orange or have your buddy crit proc a nice purple lvl 49 one. I actually had an aug proc set of bracers (lvl 49) that were better than the non aug proc'd Rakata ones. Think I'm still using them until I break down and get the blackhole ones...but haven't pve'd in a while. :/