Tionese vs Crafted 49 Purples

Khevar

I'm currently at level 47, working towards 50. Since I have an Armormech Commando, I bought the level 49 Heavy Exoskeleton Body armor schematics:

http://www.torhead.com/item/gWKAaJK/heavy-exoskeleton-body-armor

I have an excess of materials (long story) so I RE'ed it up to a purple rating 126 with 776 armor. This appears to be the same as the Tionese heavy armor chestpiece. I found myself thinking I could kit myself and companion with a full set and skip over the Tionese grinding and go straight to Columi when I hit 50.

Has anyone actually tried this? It would be expensive materials wise, but I have 3 more levels to go before 50 -- I might be able to pull it off.

Thoughts?

Well at level 47 you can actually start doing the belsavis dailies, and they get you good xp, and good level 49 mods/armorings, and theyre easy if you have a 50 helping you. and if you have one or two trooper friends who can help you, they can give you their mods as well, so you can get geared out in all daily mods within a couple days, then at 50 once you've finished you story get them to help you with the 2 man heroic on ilum for the enhancment. that gear will basically be the same as tionese, and not only is it free but youll make ~100k per day from the dailies. Edited by xJACKTHERIPPERx

Tionese should have been dished out as schemes for crafting ie to all classes not just ones they gave a 5 min thought about.

As a whole it should be ignored, if you have the crystals youll be at a point when your getting colmuni tokens in large amounts any way, so use the tokens to kit up your companion not your self, if your companions got a few missing spaces and a few level 29 items still, this can quickly give you a boost for doing dailys with 1 companion out.

Thats about the only thing id use them for the increase from 50 crafted to 51 isnt worth wasting the tokens on. Aim for the colmuni, plus for future raiding whether you have colmuni will dictact whther of not your ready to do larger raiding like EC which is bare minimum.

Don't forget that having a tionese piece provides you the bonus of the sets, which I have done on my shadow tank and just exchanged the mods with some 136-140 rating mods i had so i got a very good piece that still provided the bonus of the set. Some set bonuses are too good to ignore (like the shadow tank's one) and you can't have it with 49 purples or orange ones with 50-51-54-56-61-... mods Edited by galliant

Don't forget that having a tionese piece provides you the bonus of the sets, which I have done on my shadow tank and just exchanged the mods with some 136-140 rating mods i had so i got a very good piece that still provided the bonus of the set. Some set bonuses are too good to ignore (like the shadow tank's one) and you can't have it with 49 purples or orange ones with 50-51-54-56-61-... mods

Do you think the set bonus outweighs an augment slot?

Depends on the set bonus. Sage/Sorcerer DPS? The set bonus is meh. Commando/Mercenary DPS? Can't live without the set bonus for reasons of resource management.

My suggestion is to run your dailies and get kitted out in daily gear, then go straight to Columi stuff. Tionese has slightly MORE stats than daily gear, but the stat distribution is (intentionally) whacked out.