The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Shield Tank Power > Surge?

Seveneye

Hey guys got a quick question. I'm trying to figure out if I should start augmenting my gear for power or surge, I'm at 48% shield rating and 49% absorb. Aim about 1500 .HP 23500 buffed and stim 15% defense (20% using relic) and 51% dmg reduction. My problem is we have an insane marauder that pulls threat off of me sometimes (with guard). I want him to be able to go full dps and not have to hold back. So, should I start augmenting my gear with surge or power, or even more aim?

Ask yourself this:

Is he pulling threat because of a lack of a minor "power" increase, or maybe because I might not fully utilizing my abilities correctly?

I say this, not to be antagonist, but because several tanks always wonder why they are being pulled from. Taunts are your best friend, and depending on the fight/strat, you can use them pretty liberally, coupled with using your offensive cooldowns at the start.

Yes power, shield and defense relics has power on them, augments with shield, absorption and defense stats has power too.

We have a couple dps assassins that regularly pull aggro off tanks, you need to manage taunts regularly.

Edited by Sookster

Yes power, shield and defense relics has power on them, augments with shield, absorption and defense stats has power too.

We have a couple dps assassins that regularly pull aggro off tanks, you need to manage taunts regularly.

DPS assassins pulling aggro? You sure they are not accidentally clicking Taunt? lol

wow, there is an HUGE thread on their forum on how end game dps for assassins is behind everyone else.

For the OP, I dont really think that a few power points would do much to stop dps aggro pull. With experience, a high dps player can almost anticipate when he is about to pull aggro and should have his defensive CDs available for that. A dps pulling aggro is normal and the tank should anticipate it or even expect it. It is usually in the first 30-50sec of the pull, when everyone is popping their CDs/Bloodlust/etc... As the fight progresses, dps should have an extremely hard time pulling aggro.

That said, I think playing around with talents to increase your dps would work much better than adding +power. If your tanking stats are optimum, then maybe drop 1-3 points of defensive talents, switch to more offensive talents, and still augment +shield/absorb.

Edited by Agooz