Haven't played in a few months..what to do for leveling?

Kurugi

Had the sudden urge to come back and play again (this time on republic side, had a 50 jugg on imps before I stopped). Last I remember about crafting was pretty much biochem > all with cybertech and maybe artifice being the only other somewhat useful crew skills.

Has this changed much? And what would be the best for leveling focusing mainly on solo/group PvE with maybe a tiny bit of PvP every now and then? (I focused almost 100% on PvP before so I wanna do more PvE now).

I was 400 synthweaving on my jugg before I quit and liked making blues for myself as I leveled (looking at the same moddable armor for 10+ levels bored me), but I've heard this is kind of a wasteful money sink, which I can agree with. Would I be better focusing on gathering professions and slicing? Last I heard slicing was kinda lame, but that was back soon after they had nerfed it.

Thanks.

If you're on the same server as your Jugg, I'd consider using him/her to supplement your new toon....assuming it's also a force user. That may make leveling a bit easier right there.

Slicing is still actually ok. Well, ok for me I mean.... I just picked it up on a new toon I'm running as an Imp. That one has slicing, treasure hunting, and bioanalysis. So, he's a money making gatherer :D

I still say that if you know that you'll have and play many alts, cybertech is very useful for you. Add that to your synthweaver, and you can make new orange (mod'able) gear whenever you like...and fill it with the armorings and mods from cybertech.

Going the biochem route is useful for leveling , in the fact that it saves you money...especially at level 50+

No, I won't be playing on the same server as my 50 since I'm planning on playing the opposite faction.

Can you make good money with a mission skill while leveling? I was reading up on pure money-making and it said mission skills were the best but it seemed to be talking more about high/max levels and not so much the process of getting to that point. I'd assume you'd just sell the mats you got from missions, but would that be so much better than just straight gathering given that you don't have to spend credits to run missions with skills like bioanalysis and scavenging?

I think all crafting skills are ineffective while in the process of levelling. Whatever skill, unless you sit around the fleet you are always going to level quicker than you can craft items that are better than drops/planet comms.

To get a purple item you need to be successful at 20% and 10% reverse engineering attempts, then gather purple materials.

It's only now my cybertech from my main is proving useful because he's REd most of the armourings and mods to churn out these for a new alt, which does make levelling incredibly easy.

To make credits, slicing still seems good, crew missions still sell and people are after augment materials.

No, I won't be playing on the same server as my 50 since I'm planning on playing the opposite faction.

You can play on the same server as your Jugg even if you want to roll a Rep toon, unless the server is really really dead i would recommend doing that as having a level 50 on the same server can be really useful (you can post items/credits between all of your toons dispite being on opposite factions)

When I rerolled on the Fatman and started fresh, I went Cybertech.

Armoring and Mods can support BOTH force users and non-force users. Synthweaving and Armormech can only support one or the other.

You'll have earpieces covered.

Spaceship upgrades.

Speeder bikes.

For PvP, you'll have access to grenades.

There's just too much that Cybertech does. It's very useful for leveling up not just one toon, but several. No matter what the class, you'll be able to make stuff for them.

I went with armormech, but I might change. On my 50 I went synthweaving and really enjoyed it. I don't remember ever running into the situation of having my crafting fall behind my levels. If anything I was actually ahead. I did do a lot of PvP though so there were times I'd sit around on the fleet queuing up which gave me time to craft. I also enjoyed making blue quality gear as opposed to using moddable gear because you get to change how you look more often and I find having to deal with mods kind of annoying.

I was thinking of just going a money making route while leveling though. That's what I usually do when I start fresh in an MMO and then worry about the actual production professions when I get to 50. Not sure which skills are best for that while leveling though. As I said I've read which ones are good at higher levels, but I don't know if they're equally good at lower ones.