Crafting and Timing out

KalSpiro

So am I confused or did a previous patch claim that using the crafting window would count toward being at your keyboard so I wouldn't time out while I'm just standing in my ship grinding crafts? If I am confused, was this something that was promised in the future? Because I could have sworn I saw a note on this.

If it's supposed to be in then it is certainly not working.

From patchnotes 1.2.4 (latest at the time of this writing):

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/1.2.4/5152012

"Actions in the UI layout editor and chat window now prevent a player from being labeled as AFK."

Is this what you mean? It sounds similar to what you say, but as you can see, it talks about UI editor and chat window, not crafting.

The keyword in there is "actions". If you are interacting with the crafting UI (checking schematics, sending companions on missions or craft orders, etc.) it should not trigger AFK state and timeout - and if it does it is a significant bug. But if you send a bunch of companions out, leave the craft window open, and expect that the game won't mark you as AFK while you don't do anything but wait for them to complete - I don't think that will ever happen. Too easy to exploit.

This is a fair point.

But no, I do not believe that the changes were intended to include a fix for being afk'd out whilst crafting. Because the crafting system was not mentioned, only chat and UI.

They certainly should include this though. If I am sending crew out on missions then I am clearly not afk.

This is not just a matter of leaving the craft window open whilst missions complete. You will be logged out even after interacting with the window to issue a mission. In short, interacting with the window does not remove the afk status.You have to actually move in the world, or now chat it would seem, to prevent this.

H.

Thanks guys, yeah. I guess I didn't read it carefully enough. I thought it was saying that any interaction with UI elements, in this case clicking on stuff to do crafting, would prevent you from going afk. This is not the case.

So, it really should be. Sometimes when I'm at work and, while I shouldn't even be in game, don't have the time or inclination to play I will send my companions out on gathering missions, or to build gear. I'm clicking stuff. I'm interracting with the game. That should be enough to keep the game from deciding that I'm afk.

The keyword in there is "actions". If you are interacting with the crafting UI (checking schematics, sending companions on missions or craft orders, etc.) it should not trigger AFK state and timeout - and if it does it is a significant bug. But if you send a bunch of companions out, leave the craft window open, and expect that the game won't mark you as AFK while you don't do anything but wait for them to complete - I don't think that will ever happen. Too easy to exploit.

But yes, I agree. If I send all my companions on 15 minutes to 2 hour long missions and just sit there not doing anything, then I should expect to time out before they're back. But when I'm sending them on 8 minute missions, every 8 minutes, I shouldn't time out before they get back from the second run.

Edited by KalSpiro