Game Lag

Raina_Que

Like video lag I guess. It is hard to move because I keep getting stuck or have problems walking in the right direction and in fights I have issues because I am either moving to slow or not moving as fast as I should be.

What is latency or ping. I am new to PC gaming.

Latency is the time that it takes the information to travel from your computer to the game server and back. It depends on your network connection as well as the server's connection and traffic. It is sometimes called "ping" because of a command line program that can be used to measure the latency to a server.

The game has a latency measure - there is a symbol besides your minimap that looks like a cellular phone's signal bars, hover your cursor over it and it will tell you the latency. Higher values mean that the game will have worse response time, since anything that you do must be validated by the server, and anything that the mobs or other players do must be sent from the server to you. If your latency is below 300 ms you should be OK.

If the problem is not the latency, then it may be lack of graphic card power, CPU power, or memory,. Try lowering the graphics settings - particularly the shadow quality may be a great improvement on some machines.

Turn all graphics settings to the minimum, and see if that helps. You can turn on a frame rate display with Alt-F -- it is displayed in the bottom left of the screen, just under the default position of the companion portrait.

If it does work, you can try increasing the settings gradually till you get to an acceptable balance between performance and display. (In particular, you can turn off anti-aliasing, shadows and texture anisotropy without affecting the general look of the game much, but while turning shader complexity to very low can also help with low end machines, the game then looks rather too much like a cartoon).

Like video lag I guess. It is hard to move because I keep getting stuck or have problems walking in the right direction and in fights I have issues because I am either moving to slow or not moving as fast as I should be.

Hmm.. none of these really sound like lag of any sort. Maybe you just need to get used to the movement and game mechanics of mmos? Your movement speed buff is automatically turned off during combat so that's why you move slower in fights.

Check your latency as mentioned above by hovering over the icon attached to the mini map. That's server lag. Tell us that number. Then press Alt+F and tell us the number in the lower left of the screen. That's your FPS.

Greetings everyone!

We have a few threads that are dedicated in assisting you with any technical questions you have in regards to specs and help in order to run Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. You can find these links and more in our New Players Fleet Pass: A Directory of Resources

If you are looking to increase your performance, we have the following guides that may assist you:

The Ultimate guide to speeding up win 7 on low/mid range systems ready for TOR!

Ultimate* Desktop PC Performance Guide

We hope this helps!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.