Requiem for a Jedi Battlelord: Rare Drops vs. Player Frustration

CapnKilo

Hello -

I made this post in the General Discussion forum before I saw the Suggestion Box, so I will repost it here. The original thread is at http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=461607

Like many Jedi Guardians, I very much wanted to look like the Guardians shown in the "Deceived" and "Return" trailers. In "Deceived" in particular, every single Jedi is shown wearing the green armor we now know is the Jedi Battlelord set in game. While certainly a Padawan wouldn't be wearing this armor, I actually assumed that this would be the "standard" uniform for Guardians once they become Knights and chose the Guardian advanced class. I eventually found out that only high-level characters can wear this armor. Disappointing and illogical, I thought, but I knew I would get there fairly soon.

I then learned that this armor is only obtainable as a rare drop from L45ish enemies or from Treasure Hunting missions. Undaunted, I dropped Scavenging and trained Treasure Hunting to 400. I got Kira's affection to 10,000 so as to get the maximum critical bonus. I then started collecting statistics on TH missions and discovered that only Tier 5 Rich and Bountiful yield missions have a chance of dropping the armor, along with a considerably lower chance in Tier 6 Abundant yield missions. Furthermore, orange-quality items (of any type) seem to only drop on a critical roll, with a frequency right around 10%.

But there are dozens and dozens of orange items on the loot table (not to mention the purple items which are likely on the same table). With the new (and welcome) color matching system, only the chest piece is absolutely critical, but the odds of getting this particular piece -- one drop among dozens, and only a 10% chance to roll at all -- is vanishingly small. Nevertheless, it can be done, as many people can attest. So I started running two TH missions (Tier 5 Rich and Bountiful) every half an hour for as long as I was awake. I even set up Splashtop Streamer so that I can run missions from my smartphone even when not at my computer. I have run 4 missions an hour, 10 hours per day, for over three weeks now. That's over 800 missions.

I have found two Battlelord pieces (head and wrist) out of all of those missions. I found two additional copies of each of these on the GTN in that time. Now that the rarity of the chest piece is out, we are not likely to see many of them on the GTN -- even if you aren't playing a Guardian now, people know they will be rolling alts soon -- Legacy system encourages it.

And so now I'm frustrated. The armor isn't necessary to play the game -- it has no enhancements pre-installed. But I own this armor in real life and I very much want my character to have this look. Unfortunately, running missions so much has become so tedious that I'm losing my desire to play at all. I can abandon the quest. give up, and accept that I have been defeated by a random number generator. And every single time I log in to my character I will be visually reminded of that fact. The fact that I was beaten not through lack of skill, but through an RNG. I did everything possible to increase my odds to get this armor. I also go out and fight L45 mobs between missions. I check the GTN (with an alt) every half hour. There is nothing I can do to increase my chances -- again, I've been beaten without really getting to test my skill. And that's beyond discouraging.

I'm not quitting the game, obviously. But this is a plea to the developers: Always, always, always make highly desirable items (of any sort) available through play and effort, be it quests, commendations, or whatever system you want. Don't make it dependent on random numbers. Yes, your logs will show I have put in an incredible amount of playtime since I started trying to get this armor. But none of it has been enjoyable. And is souring me on an otherwise incredible game. Yes, I can give up. And very soon now, I will. But the game will be continually reminding me of my disappointment. And that's not fun.

Bragging rights come from effort, not from lucky rolls on a loot table.

Thanks,

Gwaine.

You can buy something very similar to that from the legacy vendor on Courscant if you have a legacy level of 20 or higher. It's fully modifiable orange gear, that with 1.3 you can add augment slots to.

Hi -

Yes, but it is sliver and not green (there are other differences as well). I have the Battlelord armor in real life (it was a set LucasArts used for promoting the game before it was released), so I really am looking for the green Battlelord set, as shown in all the trailers. If there was a way to color the chest piece that might work, but alas...

Gwaine.

I myself, got the chest(from a drop), belt/boots from the GTN. I have a feeling though, getting the whole set. Being patient and waiting for it, is well worth it so that you feel accomplished when you finally get the whole set. Especially since it is a rare set.

Edit: Just scored the full set!

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Axial Park is a great spot, but don't hit up just the golds. Hit all of the mobs. I have gotten blues and oranges from the lesser mobs even more often. Mostly though, I spent a couple of days rerolling one of my gathering skills so that I could choose Treasure Hunting and get it up to 400. Any of the abundant, bountiful or rich yield lockbox missions will possibly get you the nicer gear, but make sure you are doing the right level missions as most Battlelord pieces are level 5, not level 6 (though the greaves are level 50). I have been farming the TH lockbox missions for a few days now and have gotten a number of oranges, finally getting the Battlelord chest piece tonight. It was worth the effort. Keep going and you'll get it!