No cross server lfg. THANK YOU BIOWARE!!

Dylancholy

Ninja-looting, what has SWTOR done so far to stop ninja-looting from happening? Nothing. So how could they do even less to stop it from happening in Cross-Server Flashpoints?

The self-lauded SWTOR community is a bunch of mall cops who feel threatened that they can no longer dish out their brand of justice to all those ninja-looters if a Cross-Server LFG forces Bioware to solve the ninja-looting problem once and for all, like is happening in WoW.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What hell do you mean? Show me a example pls. Not the hardcore raiders on my server. If they consider themselves hardcore and result to running a tuned down raid, I would call that....BS. They are not hardcore. :p

It's another case of misremembering something that happened in WoW and then making it fit your narrative.

That comment is likely referring to several Top-10 raiding guilds exploiting the way raid-lockouts and boss-loot interacted to allow a 25-man guild to run the instance 25 times during the first lockout period, or something like that.

Here's what Blizzard said at the time:

"Shortly after patch 4.3 was released, we became aware that some players were abusing an exploit to obtain loot from the same Raid Finder bosses multiple times in a single raid lockout period (one week). The Raid Finder loot mechanic is of course intended to only allow a person to roll on boss loot drops once per raid lockout period. The raid lockout mechanic has been a mainstay of the World of Warcraft rules since Onyxia and Molten Core, ensuring that no one can obtain loot from a boss more than once per lockout. Due to the nature of the exploit and the clear intent of those who abused it, they've been issued notices and given temporary suspensions from the game. We're also working to remove all Raid Finder items from those who used the exploit."

What hell do you mean? Show me a example pls. Not the hardcore raiders on my server. If they consider themselves hardcore and result to running a tuned down raid, I would call that....BS. They are not hardcore. :p

Sorry, i' won't provide any links because it's late here and i'm tired and lazy, but here is the story:

Some top guilds were abusing the new LFR tool in order to gear up every member as much as possible. All of the people involved got a temporary ban eventually, which slowed the said guilds greatly in the hardmode race. The reason why they did that - unlike SWTOR, WoW introduces unique set bonuses with every new tier of gear, and the latest ones are very powerful.

edit: Bah, too slow.

Edited by Trollokdamus

For clarification I said brought it to the server cluster it has now. Now it has less than half the servers it did when the LFD tool launched so the population issue wasn't like it was back then. We don't know if it would have worked or not, because the variables changed......I think it would have just fine.

Server transfers were in 1.3, cross server lfg was in 1.4. They gave it a try with populated servers and aparently the que times for a same server lfg tool were not acceptable to Trion.

It's another case of misremembering something that happened in WoW and then making it fit your narrative.

That comment is likely referring to several Top-10 raiding guilds exploiting the way raid-lockouts and boss-loot interacted to allow a 25-man guild to run the instance 25 times during the first lockout period, or something like that.

Here's what Blizzard said at the time:

"Shortly after patch 4.3 was released, we became aware that some players were abusing an exploit to obtain loot from the same Raid Finder bosses multiple times in a single raid lockout period (one week). The Raid Finder loot mechanic is of course intended to only allow a person to roll on boss loot drops once per raid lockout period. The raid lockout mechanic has been a mainstay of the World of Warcraft rules since Onyxia and Molten Core, ensuring that no one can obtain loot from a boss more than once per lockout. Due to the nature of the exploit and the clear intent of those who abused it, they've been issued notices and given temporary suspensions from the game. We're also working to remove all Raid Finder items from those who used the exploit."

I wasn't pushing a narrative I was making a joke, or at least trying to, which is why I added the last sentence with the winky face. Nuance doesn't translate well I guess. Essentially the top end guilds were running LFR to get their 4-piece T13 bonuses asap and discovered a way to run it over and over again in a single lockout and still get the gear.

edt: wrong tier.

Edited by Seregul

First of all, please understand how LFG tools work. If you understand this, you will know that players MUST use it if its ingame.

At wow you can only get specific items by using it. you can also avoid the instance lock and you get valor points for gear. There will also be achivements that can only be done by pugging social points might soon have a more important role etc.

Yes please learn how the lfg system works, if you want the special prize you get for using the lfg tool, get your group together by spamming the fleet for 2 hours, then jon the lfg tool que as a group and get your prize. Just like WOW or RIFT.

You can pve, there is no one stopping you from doing it. Just yourself stands in your way, as you dont know how to form a group without a tool holding your hand. Its really not hard to ask your guild, friends or the people on your server - most servers have an LFG channel by now, join it and while you lvl your alts or your main you will see many groups going and you just need to talk to people. Its not hard, just do it.

What do you gain from making people take as much time as possible to form a group? sitting in fleet and spamming lfg chat or sitting in a same server lfg tool for 2 hours is not progression, it is a useless waste of time that only damages a game and has zero benefit.

What you dont realise is, that by demanding an LFG tool you demand that the game is adjusted to it. DO you really believe that at wow any LFG group would had been able to master heroic dungeons or raids?

OFC not, wipes and tons of tears made Blizz nerf the dungeons so that you have no challange there at all anymore. CC is not needed anymore, not even a true healer or tank - you can do them all with 5 dps specced players, guess what you dont even need 5 players anymore.

The devs have stated before that nightmare mode flashpoints will be in game "someday" so who cares if they tailor "hardmode" (lol) flashpoints to be able to be run by pugs. It is low skill teritory as it is now. If they are a challenge for you then you are not in any position to be complaining about content being made too easy, because its already been made easy for you.

And just for a history lesson, wow dumbed down instances long long before any lfg tool was released, the game was released as a dumbed down mmo for the masses..

Wow was a great game at Vanilla and TBC, you had to think before you did things - by adding the LFG all this is gone and the game totally lost its "I want to play again" button.

And now we come down to the heart of the anti lfg crowd, the people who miss vanilla wow and think that a new mmo can be sucessful by remaking a game from 2004.

You didnt have to think about anything in wow, that is the frist thing wow destroyed in the mmo genre, removed all risk, removed the cc role in groups and the need to have someone with skill pull mobs for your group by tying all mobs together in linked packs..

The experience of a lot people will be ruined, content that is destroyed by nerfs is gone forever and cant come back. Wow lost a few million players because of that. Yes there are people that will run these boring dungeons day in and out - but even those will someday realise that 13 bucks are not worth it.

This game has already been ruined for people who were hardly ever able to get groups and see the group content that was made for them, the proof is in the empty servers.

A lot pro LFG people only see themselfs there, but not the consequences for the game.

I am pro lfg for the benefit of this game, this game was launched with the anti lfg, anti dual spec anti macro crowds philosophy and it failed harder and faster than almost any other mmo in history. your peoples ideas destroyed this game, its time bioware realized that and came back to 2012.

Edited by Mallorik

I love how people talk about how a Xserver LFG ruins community? What a load crap. Besides, communities on servers are ALREADY DEAD.

Heck whenever i do a pug run i still encounter ninja looters or idiots on my own server. People say with Xserver LFG there are no communication involved in the party. Well Guess what? 90% of the time when i do any pugs for a HM FP chat is dead so whats the difference.

X server will save this game in the long run like it or not. And these people seem to forget if you have a idiot in your party votekick them out, how hard is that?

Lets also not forget you arent having a gun pointed to your head forcing you to use x server.

Edited by evildestroyer

I wasn't pushing a narrative I was making a joke, or at least trying to, which is why I added the last sentence with the winky face. Nuance doesn't translate well I guess. Essentially the top end guilds were running LFR to get their 4-piece T13 bonuses asap and discovered a way to run it over and over again in a single lockout and still get the gear.

edt: wrong tier.

That was a exploit some raiding guilds did and Blizz prompltly dealt with them also. No one is perfect when they design a tool and sometimes bugs do appear and some players do take advantage of those bugs if it is to thier advantage. This has nothing to do however with the usefullness of the feature.

I read this recent comment from a Blizz moderator when a post was made on thier forums in reference to the cross server LFG and LFR tools interfering with some of the community feel in WoW.....

......"We're working toward making sure we get people out in the world a bit more than we did previously in a variety of ways. There will be world bosses to kill, pets to collect, and daily quests you'll want to go back for.

The Dungeon Finder and Raid Finder aren't going away nor are the conveniences that come with them. Players are able to get together and do these things far more easily than they ever have in the past.

We also are implementing cross-realm zones which should help with getting people into lower-population areas (such as lower-level/level-up zones).

As many will most likely comment here, when your time is limited, spending it sitting in town asking for a group isn't always the best use of your time. In some cases, it would take people hours to find a group they could go with into a dungeon.

We can connect people all day and all night, but that doesn't mean we can force anyone to be social. That's completely up to each individual. ".........

I found this interesting for three reasons...one it reaffirms Blizz's commitment to the cross server LFG feature and second...They think it is up to the individuals to be social or not. Third...they are often making posts within the forums posts made by players. Something you rarely see here.

I

Just watched the new video with James Ohlen. When he said "You'll be able to find groups in minutes," I almost broke my hip falling out of my chair. Is this game really being run by such delusion?

With cross server LFG - it should take moments.

I'm trying to figure why people are saying this isn't cross server.... What'd I miss?

That was a exploit some raiding guilds did and Blizz prompltly dealt with them also. No one is perfect when they design a tool and sometimes bugs do appear and some players do take advantage of those bugs if it is to thier advantage. This has nothing to do however with the usefullness of the feature.

I read this recent comment from a Blizz moderator when a post was made on thier forums in reference to the cross server LFG and LFR tools interfering with some of the community feel in WoW.....

......"We're working toward making sure we get people out in the world a bit more than we did previously in a variety of ways. There will be world bosses to kill, pets to collect, and daily quests you'll want to go back for.

The Dungeon Finder and Raid Finder aren't going away nor are the conveniences that come with them. Players are able to get together and do these things far more easily than they ever have in the past.

We also are implementing cross-realm zones which should help with getting people into lower-population areas (such as lower-level/level-up zones).

As many will most likely comment here, when your time is limited, spending it sitting in town asking for a group isn't always the best use of your time. In some cases, it would take people hours to find a group they could go with into a dungeon.

We can connect people all day and all night, but that doesn't mean we can force anyone to be social. That's completely up to each individual. ".........

I found this interesting for three reasons...one it reaffirms Blizz's commitment to the cross server LFG feature and second...They think it is up to the individuals to be social or not. Third...they are often making posts within the forums posts made by players. Something you rarely see here.

I

Also, it's not like all Raiding Guilds were doing this. The vast majority of Serious Raiding Guilds were easily running DS Normal with their Firelands Heroic gear.

With cross server LFG - it should take moments.

I'm trying to figure why people are saying this isn't cross server.... What'd I miss?

That it will be..like the title of this thread..server side only for PVE group content. Which is a bit like opening a ice cream stand at the North Pole. :p

It's Same-server.

Care to prove that?

They don't say anything about it being same server or cross server. And we know the new PVP system is cross server. Explain to me how you expect a low population server to find a group in "mere moments" without it being cross server.

Care to prove that?

They don't say anything about it being same server or cross server. And we know the new PVP system is cross server. Explain to me how you expect a low population server to find a group in "mere moments" without it being cross server.

I can't logically explain it to you, sorry.

Exactly. Cuz it's a cross server LFG.

Do your research dude. You have missed some stuff....like the comments from the developers recently on 1.3 update. IGN had a aritcle on it....check them out. Cross server will be for PVP only.

No, I can't explain why BW wouldn't make it into a Cross-Server LFD. Please, somehow you figured out the PvP finder would be Cross-Server. Use those same searching skills to find out the information on this LFD Tool.

Do your research dude. You missed some stuff. IGN just had a recent ariticle about it with the developer's interview. Check it out.

Double post..sorry.

Edited by Valkirus

Just going to look at the bold.

First, they are offering extra rewards in the form of Black Hole commendations for using LFG random heroic.

Second, do the math on the servers. The most densely populated server SWTOR can support has LESS players at peak than the average WoW server. Single-server LFG failed in WoW.

There is no way single-server LFG is going to succeed in SWTOR, especially not for the sub-50 crowd and especially not at off-peak times.

I picked up my Shaman in WoW again recently. Even with X-server LFG I am still waiting 20-25 mins as DPS to get a group off peak. My realm is pretty full as well. Hate to think how long I'd have to wait without X-server

I picked up my Shaman in WoW again recently. Even with X-server LFG I am still waiting 20-25 mins as DPS to get a group off peak. My realm is pretty full as well. Hate to think how long I'd have to wait without X-server

This upcoming LFD is gonna feel like being stabbed with a spoon.

Server transfers were in 1.3, cross server lfg was in 1.4. They gave it a try with populated servers and aparently the que times for a same server lfg tool were not acceptable to Trion.

Yes, and server culling/merges did not happen until after it went cross server. Remember I said single server was NOT available with all servers with a healthy population. It happened before the culling. I was on Faeblight(one of the highest pops) and there wasn't much problem using the tool while it was single server. However on most of the lower pop servers(the ones that opened up a couple days after the game launched) it struggled and thus Trion moved it to cross server.

Edit: If Bioware does it exactly the same as Trion, I have no doubt that at 1.4 or 1.5 the LFD will go cross server. The servers must be culled to get it to work. Rift never tried it, lets see if SWTOR learns the lesson.

Edited by BucMan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.