What are the best skills to use with slicing?

muhidin

It compliments all of them but what would it be the most integral profession to? I mean if i choose cybertech with scavenging and slicing i miss out on underworld trading so it's pretty frustrating, i've never made a slicer before but i want to try it out, any tips? i dunno what low-tier slicing parts are used for anyway.

Take two other gathering skills and don't worry about any crafting skills with your slicer. To get the most out of your adventures in the world, Scavenging and Bioanalysis will allow you to gather from any Strong or higher droids and creatures in the world in addition to gathering from nodes but this only works well if you are planning on leveling other characters.

If you play it right you can use you Slicer to fill in the gathering needs of other characters, allowing you to take Slicing on two other characters without seriously gimping yourself by forcing you to buy materials from the GTN. If you have an Artificer and a Cybertech, for example, you can take Archaeology and Scavenging with your Slicer and have each your crafting characters take Slicing instead of those skills.

If you are just looking for credits, Underworld Trading will give you the chance to gain high demand materials that can return a hefty profit. A quick search through the stickied posts and a scan through your servers GTN for materials prices can give you a good idea on what will earn credits.

Ultimately, you are best served getting 3 gathering skills with your Slicer and selling the materials to buy any gear you need rather than trying to level a crafting skill without the required gathering and mission crew skills.

Slicing is really best when you have multiple characters, and already have some of your bases covered.

For instances, let's say you already have a Cybertech character with Underworld Trading and Scavenging. If you made an Armormech character, you could get Slicing, since you already have two of the support skills elsewhere, and Slicing would round out your Augment crafting abilities and give you a more complete Armormech catalog.

If you want Slicing and a craft skill on your main, then I'd definitely recommend creating an alt with the necessary Mission skill. Mission skills, unlike gathering skills, work well on GTN alts, as you don't typically need as much of the materials generated by Mission skills to craft with.

Either way, if you want both Slicing and crafting, you should have another character that can make up for what you're missing. My first character, way back in pre-launch, was Cybertech/Slicing/Scavenging--I loved Slicing, but I quickly realized I HAD to have Underworld Trading, so I made an alt for that purpose, and it worked out perfectly. That alt eventually became my second level 50. Having multiple characters lets you have your cake and eat it, too.

If you want to have a Craft (and personally I'd rather have all crafts covered within my Legacy) I'd go with the two armor crafting crafts that make Augments. Synthweaving or Armormech.

Armstech also makes Augments, but needs Investigation, which isn't needed for another craft.

Which is best depends on which you don't already have, and which fits the armor type of the character it's on better.

here's an example of how mine are set up:

my Jedi Shadow has Synthweaving, Archeology and Slicing.

my Bounty Hunter has Armormech, Scavenging and Slicing.

my Gunslinger has Cybertech, Scavenging and UT, and can gather Metals or Fabrics for the others if needed.

BUT... all of the Custom armor that I know of does NOT need UT items, so you really only need those for the few purple items you'd need (basically Rakata bracers and belts). SO having UT on a different character isn't a big deal.

side note: I'm not a huge fan of pure gather characters; I prefer having each craft once, and Biochem on the others, but of course having Slicing on a pure gatherer works also.

BUT... all of the Custom armor that I know of does NOT need UT items, so you really only need those for the few purple items you'd need (basically Rakata bracers and belts). SO having UT on a different character isn't a big deal.

That's pretty strange - all of the custom armor I have on my armormech uses the blue quality UT metals. None of it uses the purple UT items, but UT is definitely needed.

When the system was designed slicing wasn't a skill that really complemented any others.

Get your base crafters going with what they need, then as said above use an alt as a pure gathering toon.

When I was leveling my Alts, I had two that were Slice, Scav, Arch.