Patch 1.3 Crew Skill Changes Dev Interview

JeramieCrowe

Wow, there's actually a lot of useful information there!

Why don't they let us know about this here on swtor.com? A weekly post with interviews/social media would be a lot more useful than e.g. the weekly dev tracker summary (since if we wanted to see what devs are saying on the forum, we can just check the dev tracker...).

We’re reducing extraction costs

:D

Does it? I might have misread it but it says to me that if you crafted say some legs which were for level 23s, you only add in an augment for that level range.

It comes with an augmentation slot for that level, but if you want to you can then upgrade this to a higher level slot with a higher level augmentation kit.

Edited by Rassuro

Does it? I might have misread it but it says to me that if you crafted say some legs which were for level 23s, you only add in an augment for that level range.

That's the part I don't like. I'm ok with tiered kits for non slotted items, but I feel a crit crafted item should have the highest possible slot regardless of the item level. Not doing this completely devalues crits for anything except the top level crafted items.

That's the part I don't like. I'm ok with tiered kits for non slotted items, but I feel a crit crafted item should have the highest possible slot regardless of the item level. Not doing this completely devalues crits for anything except the top level crafted items.

i got to agree with this, especially seeing how most of the "top end" craftabel gear looks like crap. The majority of the good gear is lower to mid level, so it means not only do we have to make the mid level gear we have to make 10 high level gear items then RE them just to make the item useful on top of the fact its 50k

Something seems wrong having to pay 50k for an item that i made just to be usable even though i crit crafted it.

a crit crafted item should have the highest possible slot regardless of the item level. .

Totally agree with you, and from what I have read crit crafting will mean nothing now that you can buy and augment slot. IMHO if you crit craft an item you get an augment slot for all levels, and then you have the option to buy a second augment slot in the same way that they are saying in that article.

Yeah this a huge leap in the right direction. Now, I need a dye system and the ability to research crafted purple to orange and I am good for a while.

Yup totally agree , crafting community need this for economy n looks :p

Great info! This should make low level augments more valuable and should make non-crit crafted gear non-useless like it is today. It is kind of shocking that they did not get this into 1.2. What is the ETA on 1.3?

Group finder sounds even more important atm. People are quitting left and right atm because they can't find groups due to the low populations. Hopefully the group finder will support cross server instance matching...

It makes sense for the crit crafted gear to have a slot of the item level, mostly because, as they said in the interview, the slotting/removing cost will be tied to the slot level. Having a lower level slot on low level gear means it's accessible to low level character.

A high level character can just go directly for the high level slot without requiring a crit.

Yeah, I agree. I don't understand why augmented slots will have a different treatment than the other slots regarding the level. I mean, the armoring slot from lvl 23 chest will accept a lvl 50 armoring mod, but its augment slot won't ? Doesn't make much sense.

Augment slots from crit crafting should get and advantage over the others. Otherwise, crit crafting orange gear will be totally pointless.

Most excellent news for Armstech, Synthweavers, and Armormechs.

What about the cybertech guys? :<

And Artifice...

Every Crafting skill needs the ability to make these kits for all items that will be able to take the extra slot.

all sharing a common amount of materials, and effort.

Its a step in the right direction as long as it goes hand in hand with 100s of new decent looking orange items/schematics for people to actually want to wear, not the crap we have now.

Most excellent news for Armstech, Synthweavers, and Armormechs.

What about the cybertech guys? :<

These augment kits will make orange gear even more in demand, thus making the Cybertech and Artifice even more in demand to fill the other slots.

This was needed for the Arms, Synth, and Armormechs, as prior to 1.2 especially, they were almost totally not needed. My Synthweaver still really doesn't make anything for people except the occasional orange piece. However, my Cybertech and Artificer both are CONSTANTLY busy.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

These augment kits will make orange gear even more in demand, thus making the Cybertech and Artifice even more in demand to fill the other slots.

This was needed for the Arms, Synth, and Armormechs, as prior to 1.2 especially, they were almost totally not needed. My Synthweaver still really doesn't make anything for people except the occasional orange piece. However, my Cybertech and Artificer both are CONSTANTLY busy.

That could be true for low/mid level mods. But for endgame gear, artifice and I think cybertech too, are pretty much worthless. But the augments, they are the best available and everybody will want them. On the other hand, how many people will want a 22 enhancement ?

Dumb question here..

If the purpose of this is to allow you to use whatever style gear you like and put your mods into them and get the stats you like, why are these going to be tiered by level? What if I'm 50 and I like the look of a piece of level 10 gear? Or is its purpose something else?

That could be true for low/mid level mods. But for endgame gear, artifice and I think cybertech too, are pretty much worthless. But the augments, they are the best available and everybody will want them. On the other hand, how many people will want a 22 enhancement ?

So far, a lot more than need 50+ enhancements. We're getting into the part where alt-rollers are starting to twink. And, unlike other MMOs, this one will have a steady stream of alt-rollers.

I'm sure that, should Cybertechs and Artifice start to become obsolete, BioWare will react. They've been really good about Crew Skills and its balance so far.

Dumb question here..

If the purpose of this is to allow you to use whatever style gear you like and put your mods into them and get the stats you like, why are these going to be tiered by level? What if I'm 50 and I like the look of a piece of level 10 gear? Or is its purpose something else?

If you have a level 10 item and want to keep it to 50, you just apply a higher level kit and replace the augment.

So for your level 10 item, if you know you will use it until 50, then you should apply the highest level kit and replace the augment as you level. If you use a lower tier kit and reach a point where you want to place augments higher than the kit originally used on the item, you will need to upgrade the augment slot using a new kit.

So far, a lot more than need 50+ enhancements. We're getting into the part where alt-rollers are starting to twink. And, unlike other MMOs, this one will have a steady stream of alt-rollers.

22 augments, best in game. 22 enhancements, well, you know. Who will want augments ? Everybody. Mains and alts. I seriously doubt you will be able to make as much money selling 22 enhancements than selling 22 augments and augment slots...

22 augments, best in game. 22 enhancements, well, you know. Who will want augments ? Everybody. Mains and alts. I seriously doubt you will be able to make as much money selling 22 enhancements than selling 22 augments and augment slots...

Oh, I thought you meant character level 22. :p

Along with the feedback we’ve received, the way itemization has played out on live has encouraged us that embracing the full mod route is the right decision. While it may not be apparent, many of the complaints players have had about itemization are concerns we share and are working on addressing. While item mods existed in beta for quite a while, some of the fundamental tech pieces didn’t exist until shortly before launch. Internally, mods make our items inordinately more data-complex and intensive than the items in the average item heavy game, and those complexities are compounded by a live environment.

Did anyone else read that as crafting is in for much bigger changes, as well as the whole itemization scheme? I'm starting to read this all as band-aids as the whole system gets redone. I'm hoping it does because right now, everything is a mess.

Did anyone else read that as crafting is in for much bigger changes, as well as the whole itemization scheme? I'm starting to read this all as band-aids as the whole system gets redone. I'm hoping it does because right now, everything is a mess.

Actually, that's been pretty much the announced direction since the last iteration of beta prior to launch. And they also outlined that a step-by-step process of reaching that eventuality would be realized.

And that's what we're seeing now. And, yes, there are LOTS of very good reasons why this system needed to be done in steps, not the least of which was keeping a tighter reign on the economy than the typical MMO.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.