[Guide] Reverse Engineering

Slaign

Some bit of interesting info:

The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My apologies if this has already been answered, but I went through about 20 pages without finding my question.

If I read the opening post correctly, it is possible to start with a Blue base item and RE into a T2 Purple item?

In my particular case, I am trying to go from Enigma Handwraps/Bracers to Veracity Enigma Handwraps/Bracers.

I've successfully unlocked the T1's Redoubt/Critical/Overkill, but even after RE'ing about 25 Redoubt Bracers and 10 Redoubt Handwraps, I still haven't learned a single T2 schematic.

So before I burn through any more mats, I wanted to confirm if it its even possible to get to a T2 from a Blue base item.

Thank you for any help!

Has anyone been able to get more than a single (prefix) artifact recipe out of a prototype? What I mean is, more than one last tier prefix item out of say, a "critical" prefixed blue? I've RE'd about 200 of them since I got the first purple recipe and I'm curious if it's just bad luck or not possible at all?

I apologize if this has been answered in the thread, I cannot find a search funcion button anywhere and in the general RE thread it was not specific.

Do all green base mods like armoring mods, or droid parts or earpieces ALSO have 3 tier 1 discoverable schematics from them like gear does? And then 5 tier 2 mods from those?

Obviously I'm cybertech and I only just read the thread discovering there are potentially more schmatics out there for me to RE and find, but then I read that this was gear oriented and not mod oriented.

My apologies if this has already been answered, but I went through about 20 pages without finding my question.

If I read the opening post correctly, it is possible to start with a Blue base item and RE into a T2 Purple item?

In my particular case, I am trying to go from Enigma Handwraps/Bracers to Veracity Enigma Handwraps/Bracers.

I've successfully unlocked the T1's Redoubt/Critical/Overkill, but even after RE'ing about 25 Redoubt Bracers and 10 Redoubt Handwraps, I still haven't learned a single T2 schematic.

So before I burn through any more mats, I wanted to confirm if it its even possible to get to a T2 from a Blue base item.

Thank you for any help!

It is possible, yes.

Has anyone been able to get more than a single (prefix) artifact recipe out of a prototype? What I mean is, more than one last tier prefix item out of say, a "critical" prefixed blue? I've RE'd about 200 of them since I got the first purple recipe and I'm curious if it's just bad luck or not possible at all?

Each Tier 1 Prefix item can be RE'd until you find 5 Tier 2 Prefix schematics.

I apologize if this has been answered in the thread, I cannot find a search funcion button anywhere and in the general RE thread it was not specific.

Do all green base mods like armoring mods, or droid parts or earpieces ALSO have 3 tier 1 discoverable schematics from them like gear does? And then 5 tier 2 mods from those?

Obviously I'm cybertech and I only just read the thread discovering there are potentially more schmatics out there for me to RE and find, but then I read that this was gear oriented and not mod oriented.

No, mods do not follow the prefix system, they follow the linear system. Look under the heading "Linear Reverse Engineering" in the guide for more information.

I crafted my lightsaber with Jaesa, Max affection 10000

It crit to exceptional and there was NOTHING in the augment slot.

I put in that purple +28 str augment.

It came with mods we cannot obtain in game, at least that I Found.

It has Might 23 Hilt, Orange + 27 power crystal ( dont remember the number )

and two more blue level 23 mods I believe.

Given the fact of the changes to the modding system inc, this is now the BIS weapon you can obtain.

For anyone that hasn't seen

http://i.imgur.com/CjNTw.jpg

Edited by Morsexy

Great post!

Just wanted to educate you people in some probability theory:

If the chance of getting an improved schematic is 10%, Reverse engineering 1 items gives you a 10% chance of getting it of course, but Reverse engineering 2 items does not give you a 20% chance of getting it here is why.

You have a 90% chance of not getting the schematic per attempt (the complement of the chance of getting the schematic), so in two attempts to not get the schematic you have to not get it on the first one (90% chance) AND not get it on the second chance (90% chance). A rule of thump in probability theory is that AND is multiplication, OR is addition. Following that rule you have a 0.9*0.9 = 0.81 chance of not getting it in two attempts and the complement of that is of course getting it which is 1-0.81 = 0.19 = 19%.

A generalized formula is p = 1 - (1-p_0)^n where:

p - Chance to get the improved schematic with n attempts.

p_0 - Chance to get the item on a single attempt.

n - Number of attempts.

An example of the 10% progression:

1 Attempt 10 %

2 Attempts 19 %

3 Attempts 27.1 %

4 Attempts 34.39 %

5 Attempts 40.951 %

6 Attempts 46.856 %

7 Attempts 52.17 %

8 Attempts 56.953 %

9 Attempts 61.258 %

10 Attempts 65.132 %

As you can see you only have about a 65% chance of getting the schematic after 10 Reverse Engineering attempts even tough the individual chance is 10% i.e. 1 in 10, if you're really unlucky you can do it a thousand times and still don't get it but some people may get it on their first try so it evens out to a 10% chance (to with a 99% certainty get the schematic you would in fact have to reverse engineer 44 items and for a 100% chance you would have to reverse engineer an infinite amount of items).

I recently reverse engineered a [prototype] Heavy Belt and got absolutely no materials from it. I don't remember the exact name or stats on it now, but I got it from random artifact box from Nar Shadaa or Tatooine commendations.

Do you think this is a bug or is it working as intended. If I had known that I wouldn't (or that there was even a chance I wouldn't) get materials from RE'ing it, I would have vendored it instead.

Do you think this is a bug or is it working as intended. If I had known that I wouldn't (or that there was even a chance I wouldn't) get materials from RE'ing it, I would have vendored it instead.

My money's on a bug, there was some post about items being RE even though they should not be.

Very nice post.

one question though regarding your 15 different tier 2 prefixes....well maybe more than 1.

are you saying that you can RE the same blue (lets say overkill nano-optic enhancer - implant) to get multiple different types of purple grade? Or is there just 1 purple upgrade to that particular implant? I was starting to think i couldn't even get the upgrade but after about 50 or so RE's on that blue i finally the FERVOR one....wondering if I do it again and finally get it if I can get a different prefix with the same blue.

Also, even though i technically gain accuracy and crit on the fervor one the stat changes say I love 35 crit....

Very nice post.

one question though regarding your 15 different tier 2 prefixes....well maybe more than 1.

are you saying that you can RE the same blue (lets say overkill nano-optic enhancer - implant) to get multiple different types of purple grade? Or is there just 1 purple upgrade to that particular implant? I was starting to think i couldn't even get the upgrade but after about 50 or so RE's on that blue i finally the FERVOR one....wondering if I do it again and finally get it if I can get a different prefix with the same blue.

Supposedly it's possible but I and everyone I've asked hasn't been able to get more than one purple recipe from a blue RE (i.e., more than one T2 prefix from say, an "Overkill" blue, or whatnot). I wish I could find solid evidence of it being possible (like a screenshot) before I throw any more money down a rat-hole...

Supposedly it's possible but I and everyone I've asked hasn't been able to get more than one purple recipe from a blue RE (i.e., more than one T2 prefix from say, an "Overkill" blue, or whatnot). I wish I could find solid evidence of it being possible (like a screenshot) before I throw any more money down a rat-hole...

I know you can do it with armor..

You haven't asked anyone who knows about the RE system. If you go through this thread (which admittedly is a bit daunting) you will see a list of screenshots and confirmations that you can get more than one purple per blue. I myself have a handful of recipes where I have 2 or more purples for a given blue (because the purple I got wasn't one I needed).

The bad thing about it, however, is that the purple you learn on a successful RE is random, so you have a 20% chance of getting a specific purple. Therefore, there is a 20% chance that the purple you "learn" on a successful RE of a blue is the one you already have, if you already have one purple (which is the dreaded "you already know that schematic" error message people have been talking about).

You haven't asked anyone who knows about the RE system. If you go through this thread (which admittedly is a bit daunting) you will see a list of screenshots and confirmations that you can get more than one purple per blue. I myself have a handful of recipes where I have 2 or more purples for a given blue (because the purple I got wasn't one I needed).

The bad thing about it, however, is that the purple you learn on a successful RE is random, so you have a 20% chance of getting a specific purple. Therefore, there is a 20% chance that the purple you "learn" on a successful RE of a blue is the one you already have, if you already have one purple (which is the dreaded "you already know that schematic" error message people have been talking about).

Thanks for this - yeah, I'll admit I didn't read through the whole thread, and the search function is apparently broken. I'll take a look through the other pages!

hahahaha so you have a x amount of chance to get the purple anyway but then a 1/5 chance that it's one you already have....wow. so i might make another 1 or 50 of the hyper nano-optic enhancer and end up getting the fervor one again...or something else. interesting indeed.

thanks a bunch! i'll let you know if i have any luck.

oh wait another thing real quick....so i have the blue critical nano-optic enhancer....are you also saying that by upgrading the same green, or RE'ing, i might get not just the critical version but the overkill or redoubt version as well? so basically each of the greens that we can train have the possibility to make 3 different types of blue, which in turn have the chance to make 5 types of purples?

I've never gotten the same purple schematic twice from REing blue. I always get one of the 5 until I have all 5. I guess it's just luck I haven't gotten that message yet. I probably just jinxed myself.

Edited by daemian