SWTOR's James Ohlen Interview

Lord_Karsk

Rift only has 250k total subs, yet the servers feel full and content keeps coming. The 250k that are there are quite happy.

That's all that matters. Are you happy? No? Then stop worrying about the game and move on.

This ^^.

I will be happy with 750,000 subscribers if it meant more positivity in the community... at that point though, there would have to be server 'surgery' for sure though.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, they need to do it more. They started out, I think, listening to the players way too much. The type of open-world PvP the game started out with, for instance, was what players asked for.

Big surprise, it didn't work. So they scrapped it, and are currently totally revamping it. And, although I'd like to hear what they're doing, the silence is a good sign that they are just buckling down and doing what they do best: make amazing PvP.

Actually, smart players asked for RVR-style PVP in the open world, and meaningful capturable keeps/fortresses + daoc-style territory control & rewards. They didn't listen enough back then, but Ilum was a rush job (only really activated quite briefly during beta and only in its launch form at the very end for a week-ish). Hopefully their next efforts are good :). As far as listening too much, I agree with that in general, but this one isn't one of those cases.

Actually, smart players asked for RVR-style PVP in the open world, and meaningful capturable keeps/fortresses + daoc-style territory control & rewards. They didn't listen enough back then, but Ilum was a rush job (only really activated quite briefly during beta and only in its launch form at the very end for a week-ish). Hopefully their next efforts are good :). As far as listening too much, I agree with that in general, but this one isn't one of those cases.

It was, though. I know, I was there. There were many of us begging for BioWare to do, if not DAoC, at least Warhammer-type RvR. But, believe it or not, the majority of beta testers, at the time, claimed that Warhammer RvR sucked, tried Ilum in beta, and reported in the beta forums that it was "fine".

What can you do? BioWare shouldn't have listened to the majority. It's easy to say that in hindsight, but really, can you fault them for that?

It was, though. I know, I was there. There were many of us begging for BioWare to do, if not DAoC, at least Warhammer-type RvR. But, believe it or not, the majority of beta testers, at the time, claimed that Warhammer RvR sucked, tried Ilum in beta, and reported in the beta forums that it was "fine".

What can you do? BioWare shouldn't have listened to the majority. It's easy to say that in hindsight, but really, can you fault them for that?

I think the issue here is that RvR's biggest problem stems from imbalance something beta can't really give you a good feel for. When its 15 v. 9 say in the open field the 15 have a little fun and then grow bored farming the 9 that are being tread upon. The 9 see it as a losing endeavor and several leave making it 12 v 5 now (assuming some of the larger group left too being bored of it and an even greater disparity.

In two faction setups there is virtually never an even enough balance to be able to let folks loose unmetered and just say 'have at it' because it'll far too often devolve into zerg v undermanned.

As much fun as a good well-balanced raid vs. raid encounter can be, I see the logic in pushing a more controlled environment despite many folks disliking what they feel is pvp in a can. At the end of the day I know at least even if it's 8 v 7 or pug vs premade I may lose, but I can do something in the warzone, whereas in the open field a gross population inequity means I just spent most of my time either staring at the respawn area or waiting for the other side's undermanned group to return from respawn.

Rift only has 250k total subs, yet the servers feel full and content keeps coming. The 250k that are there are quite happy.

That's all that matters. Are you happy? No? Then stop worrying about the game and move on.

Why would you bring up Rift as a comparison? And then talk about their servers feel full....

I think the issue here is that RvR's biggest problem stems from imbalance something beta can't really give you a good feel for. When its 15 v. 9 say in the open field the 15 have a little fun and then grow bored farming the 9 that are being tread upon. The 9 see it as a losing endeavor and several leave making it 12 v 5 now (assuming some of the larger group left too being bored of it and an even greater disparity.

In two faction setups there is virtually never an even enough balance to be able to let folks loose unmetered and just say 'have at it' because it'll far too often devolve into zerg v undermanned.

As much fun as a good well-balanced raid vs. raid encounter can be, I see the logic in pushing a more controlled environment despite many folks disliking what they feel is pvp in a can. At the end of the day I know at least even if it's 8 v 7 or pug vs premade I may lose, but I can do something in the warzone, whereas in the open field a gross population inequity means I just spent most of my time either staring at the respawn area or waiting for the other side's undermanned group to return from respawn.

Two faction RvR will always have imbalance. Beta or not. That's why three factions are needed.

Why would you bring up Rift as a comparison? And then talk about their servers feel full....

More of an illustration than a comparison. To illustrate the fact that size of population matters less than the number of servers. I can almost guarantee that if there weren't too many servers, hardly anyone would complain about only 750k subs, because the servers would be well populated.