1.3 LFG Tool - not cross realm (speculation)

Urdnaxela

I wouldn't mind meeting new people to, but the cross server LFG tool will only bring in the kinds of people this game does not need. All they really need at the moment, in terms of fixing server population problems, is server merges and transfers.

I so completely don't understand this logic.

It's like you're saying that everyone who is on a different server than the one you picked (or BioWare picked for you) is an undesirable. How does that work?

Let's look logically at merges & transfers. Let's say they have X number of servers populated like Fatman, which is about as full as the technology will let it get. But that's population at prime-time.

Fatman right now is STANDARD. Single-server LFG will absolutely not work on that server across all level bands at off-peak times.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure there are levels of dungeons or at least raids in WoW that cannot be run via the LFG/LFR tool and that those dungeons give better loot than any LFG/LFR dungeon... right?

Yes. As of now, you can get 378 level gear from running 5 man heroics. And 384 / 390 gear from the Looking for Raid. Both of those can be ran using the cross server LFG tools. Normal Dragon Soul raid rewards 397/403 gear. Heroic Dragon Soul rewards 407/411 gear. Both of those cannot be ran using any LFG tool. The VP's you get from running 5 man heroics cannot be used to get latest tier pcs ( set armor ). You must do a raid to get those set armor pcs. In MOP, they are making it so VP cannot get any gear, but instead be used to upgrade your present gear. However, they are expanding the LFR tool to include all the 3 new raids, you can get epic gear that way. The new 5 man dungeons will have nice pre-prep raid blue sets. These are the facts in case someone tries to blow some more smoke.:p

It will bring in more subs, thus more funds for content updates and expansions. There are ways to deal with bad people. Even now without a LFG tool, you have jerks, ninjas in the game. As long as BioWarre makes sure you are never grouped with someone on your ignore list, I see no issues. Server merges or transfers will not at all for me if they involve me having to change my char's names. It is that important to me. Enough to cancel my sub even.

People will leave if Tor turns into wow, just like a few might come over until the Panda´s arrive. As a developer you need to focus on loyal customers and not on those that cry since the first release day, due the fact that they actually want to play wow panda allready.

I also dont know how you can put 60% of the community on your ignore list, thats impossible. At wow you had in 7 out of 10 groups people that were rude, ninja or elitist. Figure it out yourself how long it would take to put them all on ignore, how many dungeons you would need to run then.

People did cry due queue´s at release and now they cry again as they feel alone. Its their own fault, my server is doing fine and many others do so as well, I think the experienced MMO player has no issue´s, they knew choosing a queue server at release is what you should do and not an light server. No reason to change a running system, nevertheless would it be intresting to see an improved LFG someday, but BW should stay away of Blizzards fail tool at all cost´s.

People will leave if Tor turns into wow, just like a few might come over until the Panda´s arrive. As a developer you need to focus on loyal customers and not on those that cry since the first release day, due the fact that they actually want to play wow panda allready.

I also dont know how you can put 60% of the community on your ignore list, thats impossible. At wow you had in 7 out of 10 groups people that were rude, ninja or elitist. Figure it out yourself how long it would take to put them all on ignore, how many dungeons you would need to run then.

People did cry due queue´s at release and now they cry again as they feel alone. Its their own fault, my server is doing fine and many others do so as well, I think the experienced MMO player has no issue´s, they knew choosing a queue server at release is what you should do and not an light server. No reason to change a running system, nevertheless would it be intresting to see an improved LFG someday, but BW should stay away of Blizzards fail tool at all cost´s.

If you're putting 60% of the playerbase on ignore, perhaps it's not them at fault?

Also, you should look up the definition of the word fail, you seem to have it mixed up with successful.

Let's look at this with a business point of view.

You honestly think Bioware will allow everyone to transfer off of a very low-pop server and onto a higher pop? They will then be left with totally empty servers which they will have to shut down.

Bioware starts shutting down servers, investors see this as the game failing, BW starts losing funding as investors start to pull out...potential new customers read about this and think 'why sign up for a game about to die' and so don't bother...BW loses more potential money...

So you honestly think that's the move BW will do? Or instead will they try to balance out the population by trying to get people to move from the higher pops to the low pop servers?

Since they just announced that subscriptions fell by 25% I don't think the business community would be shocked if 25% of the servers closed. It would be pretty easy to explain in a press release and quarterly profit call. It does give an indication that the game is dying but some already think that and it is easy enough to explain away as a cost saving measure that is easily reversible when subscriptions pick up after patch 1.4 or the first expansion.

The bottom line is they don't have much choice. They need to consolidate ASAP or they will lose the rest of their playerbase.

Edited by Jebei

It all boils down to if EA/Bioware want to make a lot of money with a mediocre game they will add x-lfg. If they want dedicated long term players they won't add one. Simple as that. A company doesn't need 10mil players to turn a profit. Again, it's not the X-LFG being evil, it's what it brings to the game. nerfs and lots of them. WoW is a proven fact.

Honestly, D3 is what a lot of the X-LFG players are looking for. Run and gun type of gameplay.

Edited by Skidrowbro

It all boils down to if EA/Bioware want to make a lot of money with a mediocre game they will add x-lfg. If they want dedicated long term players they won't add one. Simple as that. A company doesn't need 10mil players to turn a profit. Again, it's not the X-LFG being evil, it's what it brings to the game. nerfs and lots of them. WoW is a proven fact.

Honestly, D3 is what a lot of the X-LFG players are looking for. Run and gun type of gameplay.

Because nerf's never existed before Cross Server LFG right?

Sorry are facts getting in the way of your doomcrying?

How did WoW get over 10 million subscribers without having dedicated, long-term players?

Hehe....where you getting the 60% from? Personal experence or from a self hatred of WoW? You only put those on your ignore list who deserve to be there. And most my runs have been positive...90%+. And my ignore list does do some weeding out. And I think your understanding of a failed system is only a personal dislike of WoW. It has been very, very successful for WoW and Blizzard has said that and are expanding it even more. If something works well, you most certainly want to continue down that path.

How did WoW get over 10 million subscribers without having dedicated, long-term players?

Lol, the fact that their game can run on a toaster and plays like farmville is the reason why they have such high sub numbers. Heck, farmville has more subs than WoW, maybe SWTOR should follow that model huh?

WoW is just an online game. They should remove the world they created because no one uses it. Just make lobbies for each instance and raid

Edited by Skidrowbro

Honestly I will play D3 and enjoy it very much. Does not mean I can'nt enjoy other games too at the same time. WoW is a proven fact mainly of how successful a MMO can be.

Lol, the fact that their game can run on a toaster and plays like farmville is the reason why they have such high sub numbers. Heck, farmville has more subs than WoW, maybe SWTOR should follow that model huh?

WoW is just an online game. They should remove the world they created because no one uses it. Just make lobbies for each instance and raid

Heck while we're at making SWTOR more like Farmville... Monopoly has sold more copies than all MMOs combined. Maybe we should make a Monopoly themed MMO.

Keep stretching. It shines a brilliant light on the gaps in your logic.

You do know in WoW...if you choose not to use the LFG tool for a 5 man dungeon run or want to run it with all friends or guildies, you donot get the 15% buff you would get pugging? 15% nerf to your dps/healing does make it more challenging and is noticable. I know..I run them often with guildies.

Heck while we're at making SWTOR more like Farmville... Monopoly has sold more copies than all MMOs combined. Maybe we should make a Monopoly themed MMO.

Keep stretching. It shines a brilliant light on the gaps in your logic.

Lol, you're one of the players saying that SWTOR should be more like WoW. WoW has this give me or I will unsub. WoW has that, give me or I will unsub. See where this is going?

If Bioware can add an X-LFG without nerfing their product into the ground so bad players can complete FP's and Ops, I'm all for it but looking back at WoW and even Rift, it's not a possibility

You do know in WoW...if you choose not to use the LFG tool for a 5 man dungeon run or want to run it with all friends or guildies, you donot get the 15% buff you would get pugging? 15% nerf to your dps/healing does make it more challenging and is noticable. I know..I run them often with guildies.

lol, did you really just say that?? Rofl. Thaty just proves how bad the game is. They have to give incentives and bonuses for people to run the dungeons. Jesus, they were handing out free copies of D3 just to keep players.

I probably wouldn't ever use it, but I have nothing against the LFG Tool. I probably only ever used a system like that 5 times in WoW. I didn't run across any jerks.

I'm all for putting one in. You could do server side only, but you'd have to bump the max capacity of servers up to about 20,000 concurrent and let everyone transfer to other servers in order to give people what they really want.

Whats the big deal? People wanted LFG, they will get it, people wanted transfers they are coming. So both problems will be solved in the near future. If you have no population atm, then just wait for the transfers and tada problem solved.

Cross server LFGs would take a LOT more time, and a lot of people (myself included) don't want that, so this is the best action for now.

You do understand that giving a sub-set of people 'something' tends to drive another sub-set of people away because they feel it breaks the game for whatever reason.

A lot of changes have occured since March, and the sub rate is down 25% over that time. Yet you won't ask yourself if there's a direct connection between all these changes and the mass exodus of players. I think it's those changes that are creating the SW:TOR ghost-town.

I quit last month, popped back to see the stat of the game before I pick up D3 tonight, looks like nothing's changed, the player base still wants to cut the knees out from under the game, and the dev's haven't learned that trying to be everything to every player ends up making a game that's nothing to no one.

Lol, you're one of the players saying that SWTOR should be more like WoW. WoW has this give me or I will unsub. WoW has that, give me or I will unsub. See where this is going?

If Bioware can add an X-LFG without nerfing their product into the ground so bad players can complete FP's and Ops, I'm all for it but looking back at WoW and even Rift, it's not a possibility

Actually what I'm saying is that I've unsubbed and won't re-up unless getting into flashpoints is a more frequent and less tedious event. I don't care how BioWare solves it.

I pay to play the game. I don't pay to wait to play the game.

LFG tool that is server bound and not cross server won't do anything to resolve the issues that have people asking for a LFG tool plain and simple. Why Bioware doesn't understand this I have no clue. Maybe they can't program it or something who knows. Other game company's have been able to...do they have better programers than Bioware?

Also what cracks me up is that so many people against a cross server LFG try to claim its because it destroys the community. One question for all these people....what community? MMO's are sess pools for the most part now. No one wants to help any one 99.999999% of the time (there are a few people that are willing). Most won't help unless someone is willing to pay them.

Random person: Can someone help me with my class quest?

2 minutes later

Same Random Person: Anyone?

5 minutes later

Same Random Person: Looking for help on class quest can someone please help me?

Friendly "Community" type person: That's what guilds are for. Join a guild if you need help.

2 Hours later

Same Random Person: Can someone please help me with a class quest? I have asked everyone I have seen, no one on in my guild, tried it by myself several times. Someone please help me please?

Greedy "Community" type Person: Sure I will help ya...pay me 250,000 credits and I will come help.

Yea some community this game has. Seen it many times before, still see it almost daily now. I have helped others because I feel bad seeing them ask over and over and over with the only responses being from these "community" types people being jerks for the most part...the same ones that claim a LFG tool will ruin the community for the server.

Oh and lets not forget so many of the PvP crowd are strongly against a cross server LFG finder but are ALL in favor of a cross server PvP queue. LAWL

Edited by Datku

1. Then all the remaining people who are staying because it lack a cross server LFG tool will leave.

They might, they might not. Games today are launching with cross-server LFG tools in place, Tera is the latest example, and this to me bespeaks a trend that I just don't see ending unfortuantely. I do miss how the WoW community was back in Vanilla and TBC, or back in EverQuest, but I am also realist enough to admit that sadly those ships have long sailed and today's MMO players just don't have the patience. My cynical prediction is that unless queue times stay low (less than an hour at most) that you can easily expect cross-server won't be far behind.

2. I don't see that happening just because it is not needed and would be very awkward in a story sense. Just like making a Jedi Gaurdian a healer doesn't make any sense.

There's nothing magical or supernatural about how Agents/Smugglers or Troopers/Hunters heal... they're basically just using the technology of the day. There's technically no reason why every class couldn't have a healing tree based around using kolto, medical probes, and so on. I'll admit this is something I wouldn't mind seeing (or at least customization kits to adjust the ship droid) but consider we're playing a game in which you can send a dashade off to engage in light-side diplomacy or to knit a new robe via synthweaving... I think the whole "doesn't make sense" ship pretty much sailed at that point. ;)

3. Unless they choose to completely ignore their whole story, which is the main focus of this game for those of you who forgot, they will not incorporate races that can not speak fluent common.

I am not sure a main character speaking a non-basic tongue is really a problem here... I think you need to explain what you mean here because I'm not seeing it.

5. They need to have open space flight before that.

I can dream, we can all dream I guess.

I'm not predicting these things because I want them to happen (well some of them I wouldn't mind - like new species and open space flight) but because I think market pressures will eventually cause Bioware to decide to implement them. We can debate endlessly about whether or not any of these things is a good idea.... and we do... but that is not what I am suggesting. I'm not saying what I think is "good" I am saying what I predict is "highly probable".

Edited by Katahn

LFG tool that is server bound and not cross server won't do anything to resolve the issues that have people asking for a LFG tool plain and simple. Why Bioware doesn't understand this I have no clue. Maybe they can't program it or something who knows. Other game company's have been able to...do they have better programers than Bioware?

Also what cracks me up is that so many people against a cross server LFG try to claim its because it destroys the community. One question for all these people....what community? MMO's are sess pools for the most part now. No one wants to help any one 99.999999% of the time (there are a few people that are willing). Most won't help unless someone is willing to pay them.

Random person: Can someone help me with my class quest?

2 minutes later

Same Random Person: Anyone?

5 minutes later

Same Random Person: Looking for help on class quest can someone please help me?

Friendly "Community" type person: That's what guilds are for. Join a guild if you need help.

2 Hours later

Same Random Person: Can someone please help me with a class quest? I have asked everyone I have seen, no one on in my guild, tried it by myself several times. Someone please help me please?

Greedy "Community" type Person: Sure I will help ya...pay me 250,000 credits and I will come help.

Yea some community this game has. Seen it many times before, still see it almost daily now. I have helped others because I feel bad seeing them ask over and over and over with the only responses being these "community" types people claim a cross server LFG will ruin.

Oh and lets not forget so many of the PvP crowd are strongly against a cross server LFG finder but are ALL in favor of a cross server PvP queue. LAWL

The supposed reason you list here for a X-Server LFG tool is flawed and misleading.

If ever that blighted tool were added it would not help anyone in any Class Quest, 2 or 4 man Heroics, but if added would be limited to FPs and OPs only.

You also fail to mention any particulars about the "said person" looking for help on a SOLO-ABLE Class quest if of the appropriate level. I say this because I have seen this happen with a level 19 begging for help on a Class Quest against a level 29 Elite. Do your quests and side quests.

DarthTHC has it bang on. People need to stop thinking like a player and think like a developer. It's not about what you personally want, it's about what the numbers say and what the ones providing the funding say.

BUT, You Personally WANT a Cross Server LFG, so what about the Wants of those that do Not.

Perhaps you are thinking like a WoW Player and about what you personally want.

If it was so great a design for WoW they would not be declining in subscription numbers so rapidly.

And Rift would be doing Oh So Much Better than it is.

It's ok, I don't know if you heard this, but they managed to work out that CRAZY EVIL VOODOO that the cross-server LFG was using to make people stop chatting on General!

Actually they TROLLolololololol General and Trade Chat now, having nothing better to do while waiting for their group created by X-Server LFG/LFR.

Actually what I'm saying is that I've unsubbed and won't re-up unless getting into flashpoints is a more frequent and less tedious event. I don't care how BioWare solves it.

I pay to play the game. I don't pay to wait to play the game.

SO you basically are saying because you didn't get what you want, you are leaving. Cool story bro. Have you ever thought that the problem lies with you? Perhaps your server has you on ignore(just speculating). I personally go out of my way to help other players when I can and in turn I have made a decent sized friends list. Yes some of you got unlucky and are on empty server but cross server will still not fill your server up. And the fact that there is a working LFG tool in game only proves how lazy the players have gotten. They are refusing to use the one in game. It is not broken

Actually they TROLLolololololol General and Trade Chat now, having nothing better to do while waiting for their group created by X-Server LFG/LFR.

Curses, that evil Cross-Server LFG managed to use it's EVIL VOODOO MAGIC after all to turn people into trolls! Oh wait the internet did that, nevermind.

BUT, You Personally WANT a Cross Server LFG, so what about the Wants of those that do Not.

Perhaps you are thinking like a WoW Player and about what you personally want.

If it was so great a design for WoW they would not be declining in subscription numbers so rapidly.

And Rift would be doing Oh So Much Better than it is.

/yawn

Sorry I'm really bored of your 'arguments' you can never actually provide a decent debate. Logic baffles you and you resort to making stuff up.

If they put in a Cross-Server tool, it's because more people wanted it than didn't. If it's being used by the majority of the game, that means more people like it than don't. I know, logic, it's crazy huh?!

Oh! Dunno if you heard? WoW isn't declining rapidly...they've been up and down from 10 to 12 million these last two years...so if that's your idea of a decline, I think you might wanna retake maths.

Edited by chaosdefined