Does anyone else delete characters when you are defeated?

Highsis

No and I don't see why you would as doing such a thing just encourages you to not attempt to challange yourself in battles, not to mention times when you die because you just don't feel like fighting your way back past 20 or so mobs that respwaned while you were finishing a quest and aren't a class with stealth.

There was an old game called Alternate Reality: The City back in the 80's you should try OP. If you died, you had to start over. You couldn't even back up your character disk without cheating. It was all random encounters out of the blue (you never could see anything coming, it just appeared in front of you) and they could be anything from a beggar to a dragon. Yeah dragons wandering around in the middle of a town.

Now, add to all this that you had to constantly eat and drink or you would die, that sometimes you ate looted food and got poisoned, all the while barely sc****** together enough money to get a room in an inn and make it into the next day.

The closest comparison I could make would probably be Nethack, and by the way that's another game that's probably right where you want to be if you like starting over, some people have spent 20 years playing that game and not fully mastered it.

Deleting a character when s/he got defeated is like committing suicide after getting defeated... one cannot always win, so defeat is part of the life, sure Luke Skywalker is more or less trying to commit suicide after he got defeated by Vader in Episode V, but that is the exception not the rule, and the story would just be terrible had he died there.

That's true, if I had that mindset I honestly would of never got off the starter planets lol

personal attachement is not the Jedi way but i tend to attach myself to characters, and i feel really bad when i remove my sprite from the virtual universe for ever.. Sprites are live! they have feelings! i'm sure the Jawa's would agree <.< or atleast they say so about droids! i usually don't like multiple characters. i put alot of thought and effort into characters.. i also treat my companions pretty much the same o.o i hate it when they die and i do everything i can to kepe them alive though ...sometimes i take that to far and forget that I need to heal myself o.o and die while healing the companion <.<

I did a few times for RP purpose. For me, 'defeats' don't count if I'm doing a WZ, Heroic, FP, and a fall to death. (damn datacron!)

But otherwise if my character is defeated I delete the character and start over. It kinda gives me a thrill for every mundane battle in the game. The highest lv character I deleted was only lvl 17 though, because I try to use every advantage possible before doing any quests, like being 6 levels ahead and using stims.

Does anyone else play by this or alike hardcore rules?

I ran into some one on Ebon Hawk who did this, so you're not the only one. That is, unless that person was you.

Are you really dying? Think of it this way, the probe droid is REVIVING you, not resurrecting you for heaven's sake.

I would get really frustrated with this game if I deleted a toon every time it needed to be revived. It's not that I tend to get defeated a lot, in fact I pride myself on how little I do get defeated, but when I try new techniques or strategies, I expect that I may not win. It's the only way to learn. I don't see how to learn new skill rotations if you keep making new toons and starting over again.

Anyway, OP, that's taking RP to a ridiculous level but... whatever floats your boat. It's your time, not mine.

Edited by ejadavidson

How do you manage one-shot-kills? Do you inform yourself on the internet before you face a story opponent?

When I fought against the chapter 1 boss on my consular, I didn't know about that. Even if I would be 5 lvls ahead, this attack could have ruined my character if I did it like that.

I did a few times for RP purpose. For me, 'defeats' don't count if I'm doing a WZ, Heroic, FP, and a fall to death. (damn datacron!)

But otherwise if my character is defeated I delete the character and start over. It kinda gives me a thrill for every mundane battle in the game. The highest lv character I deleted was only lvl 17 though, because I try to use every advantage possible before doing any quests, like being 6 levels ahead and using stims.

Does anyone else play by this or alike hardcore rules?

Not I. If I had, I would probably still be stuck on Korriban.

Think the OP prefers the old DOS games where you could die and have to do everything all over again. (and do mean everything)

It is taking RP to a whole new kind of hardcore level but it also means you're wasting money since if defeat actually means in your case you need to delete your chars you never will have a char in endgame nor have any benefits from a char as your main in endgame. Anyone who managed to remain "alive" till endgame and remain alive during endgame is IMBA OVERLORD OF INFINITE LIFE.

However since you like the permadeath option, there is a mmo in progress which has this. (WoD)

Edited by Kirameki

Strict game masters often had perma-death rules for old pen and paper role playing games. Nothing wrong with adding some extra motivation to not die in combat although doing it 6 levels ahead is kind of cheating and surely taking most of the thrill away from playing that way ;)

Strict game masters often had perma-death rules for old pen and paper role playing games. Nothing wrong with adding some extra motivation to not die in combat although doing it 6 levels ahead is kind of cheating and surely taking most of the thrill away from playing that way ;)

I'm pretty sure the game will catch up on him when he's at the higher level planets and got some nice gear and credits on the char.

I wonder if he would still be so hardcore as he claims and would delete a full geared lvl 50 with few million credits.

If he does I would ask him to first mail me all his stuff. :D

I applaud someone who puts their own "hardcore" into a game instead of whining about the good old days when death meant something. I played EQ1 for years but you couldn't pay me to play it again today when I don't have the time or energy to spend hours on a naked character retrieving my gear off my corpse (shivers). However, I can agree that that kind of death penalty (not to mention penalties like deleveling), definitely added an adrenaline rush to the game that is missing in easy rez games where death means little to nothing. I, personally, prefer ease of play to adrenaline these days, but I can understand the desire for the adrenaline rush, too. Nothing at all odd about that! Glad you can add the adrenaline in on your own, it's amazing how a little imagination can add an entire game feature :D