Better storyline?

adavismkg

Only done SI to 36. It's political, conniving, the story of someone working her way from nothing to the top and building a power base as she goes. Deep and sometimes surreal Force work, deep Sith politicking.

The SW is the ultimate power trip, in terms of both companions and plot. You pretty much play the Vaderesque enforcer as you carve a path of destruction through any enemy your masters point you at. Not much for subtlety, but you get to wreck stuff.

They're very different. SW I can say was good through and through; SI is good at least up through Taris.

Edited by bright_ephemera
factual error

Only done SI to 36. It's political, conniving, the story of someone working her way from nothing to the top and building a power base as she goes. Deep and sometimes surreal Force work, deep Sith politicking.

The SW is the ultimate power trip, in terms of both companions and plot. You pretty much play the Vaderesque enforcer as you carve a path of destruction through any enemy your masters point you at. Not much for subtlety, but you get to wreck stuff.

They're very different. SW I can say was good through and through; SI is good at least up through Taris.

SI has a very good first chapter, but it falters a fair bit during the second part, and only manages to make a partial recovery towards the end.

Spoiler tags for those that wish to avoid being spoiled by my comparison.

The most basic failing of the SI storyline is that it doesn't deliver a villain that you can really set yourself against for the entireity of the story. The SW has Baras from the beginning, you start off serving him, then set yourself against him after your betrayal. The SI starts off with Zash, but makes the mistake of setting you against her at the end of the first act. This effectively removes motivation from Act I carrying over into Act II, and requires the additional introduction of Thanaton to create a new villain. And Thanaton's only motivation against you stems from the fact that you're Zash's apprentice.

Compare that to the Warrior arc. You have Baras using you as his apprentice to prevent his spies from being captured (and spilling the beans about his future plans), which ends in his attempting to kill you so that you can't reveal his secrets. Topped off with your recruitment as the Wrath and Baras' attempt to have himself declared the Voice.

The Inquisitors is more subtle, and somewhat more personal, but is less easy to relate to in my opinion.

The Warrior is very much a "Sith Smash" story, but it seems to mesh more with the class style and Star Wars lore.

For me, SI is no only the best because of the story, but the way the story is done. I mean, it shows true inner power, strength, and charisma to rise from slavery and become one of the most powerful men/women in history. And to think, this is only chapter one! :D

I'm hooked. Utterly hooked.

For me, SI is no only the best because of the story, but the way the story is done. I mean, it shows true inner power, strength, and charisma to rise from slavery and become one of the most powerful men/women in history. And to think, this is only chapter one! :D

I'm hooked. Utterly hooked.

it shows true inner power, strength, and charisma.....

All gained from taking the essence of other previous Sith lords because your character lacks what is needed to take on the who is finally the main antagonist of your story.

I've played both to end, and while the SI wasn't bad I honestly felt that at some points that the SW story was actually meant for the SI. I found the SW story to be top notch and very epic. From beginning to end. They give you a master that you can love to hate from the get go, and the story goes on from there.

it shows true inner power, strength, and charisma.....

All gained from taking the essence of other previous Sith lords because your character lacks what is needed to take on the who is finally the main antagonist of your story.

I've played both to end, and while the SI wasn't bad I honestly felt that at some points that the SW story was actually meant for the SI. I found the SW story to be top notch and very epic. From beginning to end. They give you a master that you can love to hate from the get go, and the story goes on from there.

The story of the SW was okay, imo. But it just seemed so very cliche to me. It was like I was watching the story of a generic Darth Vader, imo.

Especially the part where the SW actually chose whether to follow the light or dark. With the SI, the reasons he follows the light or dark are actually left up to the imagination of the player. Which, imo, was so much better than the corn-fest that is in the SW's story. A replica of himself shows up "Listen, me! You can follow the light! Be a good boy!" Gimme a break, lol.

As for how the SI defeated Thanaton, I liked it. It shows the SI was not yet powerful enough to defeat another Inquisitor that had been practicing the dark side for years and years, which not only makes sense, it's proof hat the devs had truly put a lot of care into the SI's story. The SI had to use more than power to defeat his foe. He had to use cunning. He ascually had to use HIS MIND, which in mny ways is the most dangerous weapon of all.

Put me down for the SW as the better of the two. I'd probably put the SW in my top 2 stories of the 6 I have played while I place the SI as easily the worst of the six.

The story of the SW was okay, imo. But it just seemed so very cliche to me. It was like I was watching the story of a generic Darth Vader, imo.

Especially the part where the SW actually chose whether to follow the light or dark. With the SI, the reasons he follows the light or dark are actually left up to the imagination of the player. Which, imo, was so much better than the corn-fest that is in the SW's story. A replica of himself shows up "Listen, me! You can follow the light! Be a good boy!" Gimme a break, lol.

As for how the SI defeated Thanaton, I liked it. It shows the SI was not yet powerful enough to defeat another Inquisitor that had been practicing the dark side for years and years, which not only makes sense, it's proof hat the devs had truly put a lot of care into the SI's story. The SI had to use more than power to defeat his foe. He had to use cunning. He ascually had to use HIS MIND, which in mny ways is the most dangerous weapon of all.

The pool scene isn't just the SW being told to follow the light. The scene shows an opposite alignment reflection of the SW. My LS Sw had to fight a darkside reflection of himself that said that his path was too weak and he would get destroyed because of his kindness. You can make LS decisions before that scene and you can use whatever reason you want to rationalize the LS decisions you make(hell my SW was Light I before even leaving Korribon while I think it took me till Balmorra to hit Light I on my SI)/ And I've actually seen people who enjoyed the pool scene enough that they used it as a rationale for switching their alignment on their SW. *shurg*

As for the SI using his mind.....lol. The SI is just handed all of his plans by either random NPCs or companions and comes up with none of his plans on his own. He just comes along on the missions because he is good at blowing stuff up.

Put me down for the SW as the better of the two. I'd probably put the SW in my top 2 stories of the 6 I have played while I place the SI as easily the worst of the six.

The pool scene isn't just the SW being told to follow the light. The scene shows an opposite alignment reflection of the SW. My LS Sw had to fight a darkside reflection of himself that said that his path was too weak and he would get destroyed because of his kindness. You can make LS decisions before that scene and you can use whatever reason you want to rationalize the LS decisions you make(hell my SW was Light I before even leaving Korribon while I think it took me till Balmorra to hit Light I on my SI)/ And I've actually seen people who enjoyed the pool scene enough that they used it as a rationale for switching their alignment on their SW. *shurg*

As for the SI using his mind.....lol. The SI is just handed all of his plans by either random NPCs or companions and comes up with none of his plans on his own. He just comes along on the missions because he is good at blowing stuff up.

Destroyed by his kindness!? LMAO!!!! :D

See, that's exactly what I'm talking about! It's a generic Darth Vader storyline! I've seen this in so many storylines it's ridiculous. "Face the evil inside yourself..." "Face what you fear you will become..." "Look in the reflection, Simba. Your father lives in you..." yadda yadda yadda. Give me a break! Look, I'm not saying it's not a good storyline. It's okay for the Sith Warrior, enjoyable even. Just not too original. Ad it leaves nothing to the imagination of the Sith Warrior becoming light or dark. Which is fine, but the story behind i is, as I said, cliche and somewhat corny. Done before.

As for the SI, yes, he did have to use his mind. Because unlike the Sith Warrior, his brawn and might were not enough. He was born powerful well enough, but his enemies were people who had been usng the force many of them well before he was even born. Being able to defeat them so soon after just beginning his training would have been stupid. (cough, cough) He had to know what advice to take, where to go, who to trust and who to betray. All the while knowing he's walking on thin ice just being a sith, as he was a freakin SLAVE before it all began. His own teacher tried to kill him in favor of another student even! And despite all these odds, he manages to make enough right decisions to become one of the few most powerful sith in the universe, answering only to the emperor himself. Unlike the SW, he had to earn everything. EVERYTHING. Including respect, hi life, and his right to even walk free.

Some may prefer the SW storyline, but IMO, these are the reasons the SI's story is far superior. Just my $0.02.

Destroyed by his kindness!? LMAO!!!! :D

See, that's exactly what I'm talking about! It's a generic Darth Vader storyline! I've seen this in so many storylines it's ridiculous. "Face the evil inside yourself..." "Face what you fear you will become..." "Look in the reflection, Simba. Your father lives in you..." yadda yadda yadda. Give me a break! Look, I'm not saying it's not a good storyline. It's okay for the Sith Warrior, enjoyable even. Just not too original. Ad it leaves nothing to the imagination of the Sith Warrior becoming light or dark. Which is fine, but the story behind i is, as I said, cliche and somewhat corny. Done before.

As for the SI, yes, he did have to use his mind. Because unlike the Sith Warrior, his brawn and might were not enough. He was born powerful well enough, but his enemies were people who had been usng the force many of them well before he was even born. Being able to defeat them so soon after just beginning his training would have been stupid. (cough, cough) He had to know what advice to take, where to go, who to trust and who to betray. All the while knowing he's walking on thin ice just being a sith, as he was a freakin SLAVE before it all began. His own teacher tried to kill him in favor of another student even! And despite all these odds, he manages to make enough right decisions to become one of the few most powerful sith in the universe, answering only to the emperor himself. Unlike the SW, he had to earn everything. EVERYTHING. Including respect, hi life, and his right to even walk free.

Some may prefer the SW storyline, but IMO, these are the reasons the SI's story is far superior. Just my $0.02.

And by right decisions you mean let his companions solve all of his problems? Because there really are barely any decisions that the SI gets to make in response to the situations he is put in. And that is the problem with the SI storyline. He isn't an active player in the game of sith politics he is just a pawn being used by three or four people.The SIth Warrior is the more cereberal of the two classes. The Sith Warrior is the one who plots and plans. The SIth Inquisitor leaves that to his companions.

The SIth Inquisitor might have a good story at the center of it, but the story is told very poorly making the Sith Inquisitor look as though he is just handed everything after Korriban rather than earning anything. He didn't work for diddly squat, everyone around him did and he just happened to be the one to reap the rewards.

Side note, the Sith Warrior is the one who was betrayed by his master in favor of a different apprentice. The Sith Inquisitor is betrayed by his master(after it being poorly telegraphed for an entire chapter) so that she can become young again.

And by right decisions you mean let his companions solve all of his problems? Because there really are barely any decisions that the SI gets to make in response to the situations he is put in. And that is the problem with the SI storyline. He isn't an active player in the game of sith politics he is just a pawn being used by three or four people.The SIth Warrior is the more cereberal of the two classes. The Sith Warrior is the one who plots and plans. The SIth Inquisitor leaves that to his companions.

The SIth Inquisitor might have a good story at the center of it, but the story is told very poorly making the Sith Inquisitor look as though he is just handed everything after Korriban rather than earning anything. He didn't work for diddly squat, everyone around him did and he just happened to be the one to reap the rewards.

Side note, the Sith Warrior is the one who was betrayed by his master in favor of a different apprentice. The Sith Inquisitor is betrayed by his master(after it being poorly telegraphed for an entire chapter) so that she can become young again.

These are my problems with the SI story it seems that the SW does the SI job at being a manipulator and someone who plans ahead and takes charge of situations.

Both are fantastic but have opposite takes on the same thing.

I guess you're right. I mean, so many people have different views on the subject. And people are going to defend their favorite storylines. I have my points, others have theirs. I just have my reasons for why the SI is my favorite character to play (and I'm not alone, as the SI is the pick of literally most of the people who play swtor). As for the SW, well, I think it's a pretty god storyline. A bit generic at points, very cliche at others, and even the final battle seemed less epic to me than the final one in the SI storyline (seemed almost like a Disney movie final bout between the good guy and the bad guy). But all around a pretty good story.

The SI, imo, centers around the raw power of the force and the cunning of the intellect, while the SW is more brawn than brains, going the route of a fighter rather than a thinker. Both choices are fine though. I just have my preferences. I'd best stop here, though, before a flame war pops up out of nowhere. lol