Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Advice on a PvP Watchman Spec, please

GrayGunner

I have been tinkering since 1.2, and I've yet to see any definitive answer on a spec for watchman, so I wanted to ask for opinions on this one. http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIrRMRdfsZhMMZM.1

Any advice on what to change or what to keep the same would be appreciated, and some reasoning as to why would really help me understand the class better.

Thanks in advance.

Hey there man, Just adding my opinion on a very viable spec that I use for both PVP and PVE

Jedi Sentinel Watchmen Spec: http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/jedi_knight/sentinel/#::fe2f2ef14efe3fe11f10ef5df2

-Essentially, I don't take force fade because I feel Force Camo is already good as it is without the talent.

-I put 1-point in force sweep to increase its Dmg for PVE purposes.

-You want 2/2 Close Quarters because when you have that, Force Leap becomes not only a focus generator but a Ranged stun from 0-30m, which isn't bad at all, it's quite good actually.

-I take focused Leap Solely for my Rotation which is Force Leap>OS>ZS>Caut>MercSlash>Zen. I need focused leap to pull this rotation off successfully

-Watchguard: This talent is special because I either go full Watchguard or I don't spec into it at all. It's personal preference IMO. For example, ask yourself what do you want to lose to gain more Utility out of your class( if your speccing into Watchguard); Well you really only have 3 talents to worry about at this point and that is Defensive Roll, Master Focus, and Swelling Winds because those talents are the only one's worth losing for Watchguard, everything else you essentially need to be a good sentinel.

So I asked myself do I want to lose that DMG mitigation by speccing out of Defensive roll and into Watchguard or maybe lose a little DPS by speccing out of a Full Master Focus/Swelling Winds and into Watchguard. I ended up deciding that I liked DMG mitigation and extra DPS too much to even take Watchguard, so just a matter of preference.

Here's a Watchmen Spec Video Explaining this build a little better hopefully:

Edited by blazerSERVE

Hey there man, Just adding my opinion on a very viable spec that I use for both PVP and PVE

Jedi Sentinel Watchmen Spec: http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/jedi_knight/sentinel/#::fe2f2ef14efe3fe11f10ef5df2

-Essentially, I don't take force fade because I feel Force Camo is already good as it is without the talent.

-I put 1-point in force sweep to increase its Dmg for PVE purposes.

-You want 2/2 Close Quarters because when you have that, Force Leap becomes not only a focus generator but a Ranged stun from 0-30m, which isn't bad at all, it's quite good actually.

-I take focused Leap Solely for my Rotation which is Force Leap>OS>ZS>Caut>MercSlash>Zen. I need focused leap to pull this rotation off successfully

-Watchguard: This talent is special because I either go full Watchguard or I don't spec into it at all. It's personal preference IMO. For example, ask yourself what do you want to lose to gain more Utility out of your class( if your speccing into Watchguard); Well you really only have 3 talents to worry about at this point and that is Defensive Roll, Master Focus, and Swelling Winds because those talents are the only one's worth losing for Watchguard, everything else you essentially need to be a good sentinel.

So I asked myself do I want to lose that DMG mitigation by speccing out of Defensive roll and into Watchguard or maybe lose a little DPS by speccing out of a Full Master Focus/Swelling Winds and into Watchguard. I ended up deciding that I liked DMG mitigation and extra DPS too much to even take Watchguard, so just a matter of preference.

Here's a Watchmen Spec Video Explaining this build a little better hopefully:

Focused leap is a waste IMO. 2 talent points for 1 focus. You will want watchguard for the shorter CD on interrupts.

OP Also wants a PVP spec, so swelling winds is a waste aswell.

OP's original spec is what I use. I find this to be the best watchman spec out there right now.

Focused leap is a waste IMO. 2 talent points for 1 focus. You will want watchguard for the shorter CD on interrupts.

OP Also wants a PVP spec, so swelling winds is a waste aswell.

OP's original spec is what I use. I find this to be the best watchman spec out there right now.

Yes, focused leap can be worked around if your do not spec into it, Focus generation I mean, but it is not a waste. Also I EXPLAIN my thought on why to take watchguard or not.

You use OP's original spec? Having 2 points in Force fade and 1 in close quarters. Not viable not worth it. Your gonna want a full Close Quarters for the 0-range interrupt, and Force camo is Already good as it is no need for fade.

Rephrasing: Force fade is not taken because force camo is good by itself. I've taken this talent before and saw nothing change in my survivability, so Force Fade is a waste.

Force Kick is on a 8 sec cooldown and watchguard is good, but for my playstyle, I do just fine with an 8 sec kick, I'm just very good at spacing my interrupts. I also want to add watchguard can be taken for focused leap because that one extra focus can be worked around.

In the end I think the watchman spec is a tree that can be tweaked just so slightly depending on a person's playstyle. So if your curious on what a talent does to your play, just try it out and see if your play is improved, if it does not then further tweak some talents, like swtiching focused leap for watchguard and stuff like that.

I'm Currently using this spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIrRrRMfsZhMzZM.1

Decided to lose some aoe mitigation(defensive roll) for watchguard but kept a full master focus for that DPS of course. Gonna see how this feels, might just take focused leap away to get back that aoe mitigation(defensive roll) if I feel that I need it.

@GaryCartel - You shouldn't be telling people what the best specs are when your completely wrong, because no Good Sentinel uses OP's original Spec. And Also there is no BEST spec for pvp watchman sentinel, there is JUST A spec that's flexible for different playstyles.

Edited by blazerSERVE

Yes, focused leap can be worked around if your do not spec into it, Focus generation I mean, but it is not a waste. Also I EXPLAIN my thought on why to take watchguard or not.

You use OP's original spec? Having 2 points in Force fade and 1 in close quarters. Not viable not worth it. Your gonna want a full Close Quarters for the 0-range interrupt, and Force camo is Already good as it is no need for fade.

Rephrasing: Force fade is not taken because force camo is good by itself. I've taken this talent before and saw nothing change in my survivability, so Force Fade is a waste.

Force Kick is on a 8 sec cooldown and watchguard is good, but for my playstyle, I do just fine with an 8 sec kick, I'm just very good at spacing my interrupts. I also want to add watchguard can be taken for focused leap because that one extra focus can be worked around.

In the end I think the watchman spec is a tree that can be tweaked just so slightly depending on a person's playstyle. So if your curious on what a talent does to your play, just try it out and see if your play is improved, if it does not then further tweak some talents, like swtiching focused leap for watchguard and stuff like that.

I'm Currently using this spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIrRrRMfsZhMzZM.1

Decided to lose some aoe mitigation(defensive roll) for watchguard but kept a full master focus for that DPS of course. Gonna see how this feels, might just take focused leap away to get back that aoe mitigation(defensive roll) if I feel that I need it.

@GaryCartel - You shouldn't be telling people what the best specs are when your completely wrong, because no Good Sentinel uses OP's original Spec. And Also there is no BEST spec for pvp watchman sentinel, there is JUST A spec that's flexible for different playstyles.

LOL. Did I offend you?

Just to go over what you just said. "In the end I think the watchman spec is a tree that can be tweaked just so slightly depending on a person's playstyle."

Then "You shouldn't be telling people what the best specs are when your completely wrong, because no Good Sentinel uses OP's original Spec"

So I can tweak it for my playstyle? But I am tweaking it wrong? I don't get it. You are a hypocrite. No need to get so defensive. All I said was "I find this to be the best watchman spec out there right now." "I" aka "ME".

And please don't kid yourself about watchguard. You can't space out interrupts good. Your target can cast other abilities during that 8 secs. With watchguard you are lowering the CD by 25%. Thats huge. (Yes you can use your leap inbetween 1 interrupt. But then what about the next time? Waste awe or Force stasis?)

Also, you may not like force fade, but I think it's a great talent. It helps you get places faster unseen. On Voidstar, it can be the difference between life and death getting to one of the side healths. Novare Coast you can sneak up into the hut and cap.

I also only have 1 point in close quarters, because melee range is 4 meters. So with 1 point it sets leap to 5 meters. Which is 1 step back and you have leap available.

This is my opinion. Doesn't mean it's right doesn't mean its wrong (Except it's wrong to blazerSERVE). This is the spec that makes the most sense to me and works the "Best for me".

Next time I will add all the proper disclaimers...

Edited by GaryCartel

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIdRrRMfsZhMZMM.1

I use this one myself. I recommend going full into Close Quarters as Force Leap can also interrupt and gives you 3 (4 if spec fully with Focused Leap) Focus which can be critical in a close quarters melee. The points in Combat and Focus (aside from Dual Mastery) are debatable.

I dont really seem the point in the points in Swelling winds but i like this one the best so far

***take back what i said of Swelling Winds

Edited by Sosajoshua

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. I find that Watchguard is not something I want to lose, as being able to lock down a healer almost completely is a huge asset to the team. My main questions so far have been concerning close quarters and force fade.

The range for melee attacks is 4m, and 1 point in close quarters lowers the range of force leap to 5m. Is the convenience added by not having to step back a few feet worth a talent point? Force fade I was considering dropping to pick up focused leap, but I'm not sure how beneficial two points are just for one additional focus. As far as swelling winds is concerned, is force sweep used all that often by watchman specs? I always thought the priority was to keep burns up and continually use merciless slash for our primary damage.

I'm no expert, so any advice is very appreciated, and I enjoy seeing multiple opinions on what talents are worth investing in.

LOL. Did I offend you?

Just to go over what you just said. "In the end I think the watchman spec is a tree that can be tweaked just so slightly depending on a person's playstyle."

Then "You shouldn't be telling people what the best specs are when your completely wrong, because no Good Sentinel uses OP's original Spec"

So I can tweak it for my playstyle? But I am tweaking it wrong? I don't get it. You are a hypocrite. No need to get so defensive. All I said was "I find this to be the best watchman spec out there right now." "I" aka "ME".

And please don't kid yourself about watchguard. You can't space out interrupts good. Your target can cast other abilities during that 8 secs. With watchguard you are lowering the CD by 25%. Thats huge. (Yes you can use your leap inbetween 1 interrupt. But then what about the next time? Waste awe or Force stasis?)

Also, you may not like force fade, but I think it's a great talent. It helps you get places faster unseen. On Voidstar, it can be the difference between life and death getting to one of the side healths. Novare Coast you can sneak up into the hut and cap.

I also only have 1 point in close quarters, because melee range is 4 meters. So with 1 point it sets leap to 5 meters. Which is 1 step back and you have leap available.

This is my opinion. Doesn't mean it's right doesn't mean its wrong (Except it's wrong to blazerSERVE). This is the spec that makes the most sense to me and works the "Best for me".

Next time I will add all the proper disclaimers...

You didn't offend me I'm just blunt about my opinions, thats pretty much it. Call me cynical but I dont really care. I do care about OP getting good advice though since he asked.

Oh yeah, my point was OP's original spec would be looked down upon by most sentinels, but if it works for you alright.

Edited by blazerSERVE

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. I find that Watchguard is not something I want to lose, as being able to lock down a healer almost completely is a huge asset to the team. My main questions so far have been concerning close quarters and force fade.

The range for melee attacks is 4m, and 1 point in close quarters lowers the range of force leap to 5m. Is the convenience added by not having to step back a few feet worth a talent point? Force fade I was considering dropping to pick up focused leap, but I'm not sure how beneficial two points are just for one additional focus. As far as swelling winds is concerned, is force sweep used all that often by watchman specs? I always thought the priority was to keep burns up and continually use merciless slash for our primary damage.

I'm no expert, so any advice is very appreciated, and I enjoy seeing multiple opinions on what talents are worth investing in.

I usually only use force leap to inerrupt stuff when people are capping either doors/turrets. So the decreased cooldown isn't worth it imo, because other than that as watchman you usually don't use it so it will be off cooldown.

As for the close quarters, I find myself spending too much time getting in & out of range of enemies if I only have 1 point in it, with 2 I can leap wherever I want, whenever I want. (But also because it helps since I use the vindicator war hero set for a +10% dmg bonus after leap)

I stay away from force fade, it's only 2 seconds more in stealth IF you don't do any direct dmg. The amount of times I've ended my force cloak early by attacking again after 2 seconds is just way too high to actually increase the time of cloak by another 2.

This is the build I'm currently using:

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/jedi_knight/sentinel/#::fe2f2ef6df7e5fe11f19:

I put 2 points in inflammation because of the extra slow it gives me, find it very useful.

2 points in close quarters as I explained above

2 in watchguard, love my interrupts & pacify is just awesome to annoy other marauders/sents

Put 1 in Jedi crusader, gives me 10 focus on average if rebuke lasts full 30 secs, I know this point is highly debatable, not sure if it's worth it, but feel like i have to use strike less often than without this point.

And then I put 2 points in defensive rolls, just gives more survivability in the aoe spam.

Didnt put any points in Master focus, master strike seems fine as it is for me, and the amount of times you can't finish it has just convinced me that it's not worth 2 skillpoints.

The range for melee attacks is 4m, and 1 point in close quarters lowers the range of force leap to 5m. Is the convenience added by not having to step back a few feet worth a talent point?

In PvE I would agree with you. But sometimes you don't have time to step back in PvP. Its Leap for an interrupt or die.

Edited by Ryat

Oh yeah, my point was OP's original spec would be looked down upon by most sentinels, but if it works for you alright.

It's a difference of opinion. I don't see why any sentinels would look down on another sentinel's spec if they are performing better or equal. (Probably just you)

How about you get down off your high horse with your "Superior" Spec.

I will stick to picking up Force fade. The extra 2 seconds + 20% speed adds a lot more compared to the 1 focus that you don't need in Focused Leap. Waste of 2 talent points in my opinion.

Edited by GaryCartel

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.