The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Assault Vanguard - Which Companion?

TheronFett

After playing 3 Imp characters to 50, I decided to see how the other half lives. My main is a Powertech, so naturally I chose Vanguard. Only this time, instead of a tank spec, I went with DPS. As a Bounty Hunter, while leveling, I used Mako (healer) almost exclusively.

Currently, my DPS Vanguard is L28...so I have Jorgan, Dorne, and M1-4X. I'm having difficulty choosing and sticking with a companion. Dorne seems to be the most logical choice, but her healing seems to be sub-par compared to Mako, even with a large Presence buff. Maybe it's just me. Jorgan is okay, our duo melts just about anything in our path, but we also take a lot of damage. I have mixed feelings about M1-4X as well. None of the tank companions in the game are very good at actually tanking.

Which companion did you choose for your DPS Trooper?

Once you gear them out, MX or Tanno both tank pretty well actually. I generally went with Dorne if I had a 'hard' fight and did find that I had to help her out by kiting etc but it went pretty well.

At 50 and in full dps mode, I generally have Yuun with me doing dailies and switch to Elara for solo'ing heroics. Between us, Yuun and I plow through pretty much everything unless I get careless with my aoe pulls.

Tanking companions are OK. Just need to use tab and Ctr+1 often so that they attack all targets to keep them fixed on them rather than you and then you both stick to the same target.

With Dorne it's easier. Just go at all the targets while she heals you.

I levelled a a tank so my choice was easy, Dorne.

Edited by ATango

I'm levelling Assault, and I'm using Jorgan. I'm 43 right now, and so far everything has been doable with him only. I take a lot of damage, but I did some rough testing and I'm pretty sure I go faster (kill time + recovery time) with Jorgan than I do with Elara. They were equally geared at the time. Running with Elara meant a few seconds less reloading between fights, but significantly slower kills.

I never used M1-4X. Theoretically, he's the best companion for us. Higher DPS than Elara, but more survivability than Jorgan. However, Tank companions suck horribly unless you keep them geared, so I think M1-4X is out for anyone who isn't a cybertech.

Since I arrived on Belsavis, my recovery times have been getting longer than I'd like them to be. I'm going to try Tanno Vik. I'm an Armormech, so it should be pretty easy to gear him up.

I leveled assault with Elara.

Only geared myself, she got whatever piece I had grown out of. Had no down time at all, other than ammo recovery after a gold. I liked the invincibility feeling you have when you leave, what is supposed to be a hard fight, with 85% HP.